One Piece Film: Red Heading To Theaters This Fall

Staff member
One Piece is one of my favorite anime — and what’s fortunate is that there’s SO MUCH of it! I could have One Piece on 24/7 for months and still never come close to exhausting the library…over 1000 episodes and over a dozen movies so far. And they keep makin’ ’em! The latest feature, titled One Piece Film: Red, was just announced for US release today. It WILL premiere in theaters.
The plot: even though the Straw Hats are wanted for infinity kerbillion Berries, they can’t resist showing up at the concert for Luffy’s favorite singer, Uta. But what he doesn’t know is that he has something in his past that connects to HER past…it’s revealed that evening her father is the legendary pirate Shanks! There’s more to the story than that, but it hasn’t been revealed.
“We’re excited to bring One Piece Film Red to theaters around the world this fall, which actually coincides with the 23rd anniversary of the One Piece franchise,” said Masayuki Endo, President and CEO of Toei Animation Inc. “This...

Continue reading...

Since this is the first time in 25 years that we have learnt about Shank's background and the fact that he has a daughter, this is going to be such a historical and major One Piece movie! I truly hope this is canon because, if it is, the presence of Uta is revolutionary, and I have no idea what to expect. I am quite thrilled about this.

Captain
I predicted that Luffy would discover Shank's daughter during the course of the film, but I never imagined that they would grow up together! I'm eagerly awaiting the release of this film and hope Shank gets more screen time. I can't wait to watch Shanks on our screens. We barely saw Luffy's childhood but LUFFY HAS MORE CHILDHOOD. Oda continues including these and managing to make them work with the plot.

Resident of Bandora's Palace
According to the teaser, it appears that Shank spent the majority of the time with his daughter, and he is currently making special efforts to attend her show. He may be the most loving father in One Piece.

I've always assumed that this film is not canon. Uta is not canon in my opinion unless she appears in the manga, and even then, the movie's events aren't (unless they are referenced, which they won't be).