Animation Old time Cartoons

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by charahome, Dec 3, 2013.

1. charahome

charahome Member

I see a lot of posts about anime, which is so different than old time cartoons.

Show your age, do you remember, The Flinstones, The Jetsons, Tom & Jerry, Felix the Cat, or any other?

I do. I remember waking up saturday mornings to watch also the looney tunes.

Great good old cartoons.

2. EileenCruz

EileenCruz Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm a fan of the classic WB cartoons. Bosko's good. Daffy before he was jerk Daffy. Not all that crazy about Buddy. I also love enough of the Fleischers' stuff. Winsor McCay too. But, so far as toons when I was actually a kid, I suppose He-Man and Thundercats. Bionic Six too... That was pretty terrible. You should hunt down an episode just to see how terrible it is.

charahome likes this.
  3. Kelly Hartman

Kelly Hartman Contributor

As much as I love the old Looney Toons and Tom&Jerry, my favorite cartoon will always be Muppet Babies. Looking back on it now, it's dripping in 80's style. Any scene without the babies is pure Marvel.

Hint hint, Disney. You now own the Muppets, Marvel, and Lucasfilm. I think that takes care of 90% of the licensing issues. ;)

charahome likes this.
  4. charahome

charahome Member

Never heard of the Bionic Six, I will have to check out for the laugh.
    He-man was awesome, in his time. It comes on a couple of the old channels, I find myself watching the full episode. Yes, I need a life. o_O

5. charahome

charahome Member

Oh Yes, the Muppet show, the Muppet movies, and the Muppet babies. Ms. Piggy, Kermit, Animal, cookie monster, are simply classics.
    I went to Disney MGM (before it became Hollywood Studios ) and they had the Massey's parade Kermit Balloon. It was a great experience.

Kelly Hartman likes this.
  6. Josie

Josie Member

Oh Saturday mornings, what happened to you? lol. I used to watch the Flintstones , Tom & Jerry.. remember Woody Woodpecker? Actually, if you were a Saturday morninger, we watched all the same things! It's not like we had the options they have today. We had the best cartoons! For me though, nothing will ever beat Bugs Bunny and the gang.. they all still have my heart <3

charahome likes this.
  7. TheViper

TheViper Member

Doesn't anybody around here remember catdog?

The cartoons back then were tons better then the ones now. I mean the X-Men and Spiderman animations weren't "babified" like the newer ones.

I still kind of hate how everyone seems to forget that Rouge and Gambit were a item.

8. Dreek Lass

Dreek Lass Member

Over here in the UK it wasn't just on Saturday mornings either. Every day when my slightly older sister and I would get up for school, and put on ITV there would be cartoon after cartoon airing, and I would always slow on putting my school uniform on because I didn't want the happy moment to end. Seems a strange thing to remember, but those moments were special.

9. Josie

Josie Member

Are you talking about the 90s though? Because in the 80s it was only Saturday mornings lol. As far as I recall anyway. I think there were only two channels back then LOL (only a slight exaggeration)

10. Dreek Lass

Dreek Lass Member

No, I am talking about the 90's. I wasn't born in the 80's. I was actually born in 1990. It seems like the more time goes on, the more quality we lose to things, including cartoons, so I can't even imagine what the eighties cartoons must have been like.

11. Josie

Josie Member

Ok, yeah I thought so. Everything changed so quickly once technology was first tapped into, so it didn't take long for them to give into kids and start dishing out the cartoons every day of the week. That was exciting lol. But then, there was something nice about being excited about Saturday.. kinda like a mini Christmas morning haha. I lost interest in cartoons shortly after that, accept for the few with a new kind of humour I loved. I don't know what it is about older cartoons.. there's just something more authentic and well done about them. I can't put my finger on it..

12. MercyL

MercyL New Member

I remember Felix the Cat, and the old Popeye cartoons, in black and white. Betty Boop was a little before my time, but I remember Boop cartoons when I was very little.

Annette Funicello was a Mouseketeer and Kurt Russell was still a little kid in Disney movies.

charahome likes this.
  13. Dreek Lass

Dreek Lass Member

I can imagine that there was something nice about waiting for each Saturday morning for your favourite cartoons to air. These days that is kind of gone. The same cartoons air almost every day, if you have the correct TV channels. I mean have you ever watched an episode of SpongeBob Squarepants? It never makes any sense at all. It is just a while load of crap, and it intends to fill our children's minds with crap too. Those old cartoon had substance to them.

14. Josie

Josie Member

.... oh i give up.. back tomorrow, sorry for my "responses" lol

15. Josie

Josie Member

Ah, yes they did. And *gasp* violence! And smoking and drinking!! haha.. hmmm.. maybe that explains some things :p

They did have substance.. and it was great to look forward to Saturday mornings (not that kids don't look forward to the weekends today, but... you know? lol). I was born a while before the age of technology and instant gratification. Now cartoons are all day every day and written precisely for today's attention span...... I sound old haha.

Dreek Lass likes this.
  16. charahome

charahome Member

Ha Ha. Yes.. no choices back then. I looked forward to Saturday mornings. Buggs Bunny, Elmer, Woody, Daffy, Road Runner. Good old cartoons that never died, no matter how terrible accident they ever had. I use to love watching Daffy loose his beak and turn around to his back.

What happened to the good old humor we use to enjoy.

17. charahome

charahome Member

Oh My, you are going way back. Felix the Cat, was so troublesome, He was always followed by the "crazy cat". Those were fun.
    Regarding Popeye, I just saw the 80's movie with Robin Williams in it. I felt like a kid again. Yes, I am certified old fashioned cartoon lover.

18. Josie

Josie Member

Ack! I forgot about that movie! I'm going to download that for my youngest. I don't even remember if it was any good or not lol.. we shall see :)

charahome likes this.
  19. Dreek Lass

Dreek Lass Member

It doesn't matter when you were born. I bet you are still smoking lol ;) I actually don't feel like children look forward to Saturdays to watch cartoons. They can get them ever day of the week if Cable or sky is installed lol. It is not really that much of a sacred thing any more. I think that playing the latest game on Xbox is much more sacred to the children of today.

charahome likes this.
  20. Josie

Josie Member

Yeah, can't expect things to stay the same and I wouldn't want them to.. it's just sort of fascinating too watch the differences settle in now that technology is so fast and furious. I didn't live THAT much differently than my parents and they didn't live that much differently than their's. My kids have access to a massively different culture than I did though. It's like the tv was invented.. a million years later came a couple other devices than BOOM haha.. it just doesn't stop now and kids are being raised completely different and even their brains are completely different. That's why I'm thinking hmm.. maybe Autism/Aspergers is the next step in the evolutionary process and not the disorder they think it is.

That escalated quickly lol

charahome likes this.