Old School Review: Chrono Cross

Administrator
Staff member
I recently picked up Chrono Cross from the Playstation Network. I remembered loving it the first time around and since I could play it on-the-go via my PSP, I figured why the hell not?

Chrono Cross is a very well-crafted RPG from a time that was really, really good for RPGs. Square (now Square-Enix) had a particularly good run of RPGs on the original Playstation. Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross. While I am still working my way around to play them, my brother assures me that Legend of Mana, Threads of Fate and Xenogears are well worth our time.
View the Post on the Blog

In my humble opinion, the all-time best Square RPG and the greatest SNES game is this franchise's original entry: Chrono Trigger! There are have been other RPGs with epic stories that include numerous surprising twists and affords multiple alternate endings, side quests, extra playable characters, etc--but I'm hard pressed to think of another game that spans so many multiple disparate chronological eras, thereby blending together several sub-genres within the broader fantasy and science-fiction umbrella, and incorporates powerful, novel, and down-right fun cause-and-effect time travel scenarios! It's practically Doctor Who: The RPG! Moreover, Chrono Trigger had a fantastically varied combat system that allowed your party to grow together and not separately, learning special character specific team-work moves!

And, yet, despite my absolute love for Chrono Trigger as professed above: Chrono Cross completely passed me by! (Its release just so happened to coincide with a time in my life when I put aside gaming for a few years to concentrate on my studies, etc!) I'm definitely going to have to make of point of playing it at some point! Retro Gamer Bucket List updated! ;)

I loved both games - Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger but I loved Chrono Cross on the PS1 a lot more than the SNES Chrono Trigger. I dunno. Maybe the updated graphics on the PS1 helped. Or perhaps the overly complex story. Or the serene into to the surprising twist wherein *Spoiler alert* Serge is transferred to a mirror dimension of his world wherein he is already dead.

The multiple ending is a nice touch. I was just irked though because I got a crappy ending in my first playthrough. :p