General Discussion Now that Christmas is over....

I don't know about other people, but the last week of the year always seems a little depressing. The hype of Christmas is done, the celebrations have ended, and now all you have left is debt. I generally don't go out on New Year's Eve, because the crowds and drunk drivers on the road just aren't worth the trouble to me. I do look forward to the new year, and especially tax time, because I usually have a good amount of money in February. How do you feel about this time of the year?

It does seem to be depressing, now that you mention it. It's as if we were in denial
about how bleak and stark winter is by getting ready for Christmas, but now, we have
to face it. The decorations are going to come down, and the mess of entertaining is
left. I would sure like to forget all of the debt, and I am referring to the emotional debt,
as well. This time of the year just seems like a slog that we endure until springtime. I
am so joyful to see all of the yard and gardening supplies appear at the home
improvement stores, even though I have a black thumb, just because of the promise
of spring that they provide. It used to be the only thing that got me through February
(which became the longest, saddest month for me) until I had a son born right after
Valentine's Day. His birthday also is a bouquet of happiness.

I agree that this time of year can be a bit depressing. I am somewhat excited this year though because my husband is starting a new job on New Year's Eve after being out of work since September. Here's hoping that 2015 is a little happier and healthier than 2014 was. :)

J

JoshPosh

I feel pretty depressed. Like what you were saying about christmas being over and being broke or in debt. That really sucks. Then there's tax time coming up. That's not going to be fun at all. Get ready to pay up big time.

Christmas isn't really something that is a big deal to us, so my husband and I don't really think much about it. We don't actually celebrate Christmas ourselves, but for the sake of pleasing my father we go to his place during this time - it's like a reunion more than a religious celebration. Because of this we don't really spend much so there's a lot to spare for New Year's Eve, which is what we do celebrate. My husband often has work the next day though so we don't make the most out of it.

I agree with you. I am not a big fan of Christmas at all. I am in no way religious but it's meant to be about Jesus and I bet he'd be shaking his head at the greed and consumerism associated with this time of year. I call the time in between Christmas and New Year "weird week" as it does seem strange with so little to do. New Years Day is always a positive time for me though and January's payday can never come soon enough!