It's over 8,000!
If I would compare a Showa Era Kamen Rider to a certain Spidey, here it is:

KR - Got his powers from an outside source -> Use it for good.
Spidey - Got his powers from an outside source -> Use it first for fun -> Use it later for saving others.

I mean, they are similar! Look at Batman, he doesn't have superpowers but he uses tools. Look at Faiz, he doesn't have powers aside that he is an Orphenoch but he uses a camera, a motorcycle handlebar and a cellphone!

Did the guy did his research or something?!

Faiz uses a camera? Since when? His powers also come from the Faiz Gear.

Counter Arguement 1: Iron Man. He is highly intelligent yes but he has no real powers so to speak...his powers come from his suit. Booster Gold is quite literally a hero whose powers come from the crap he stole. He literally has no training whatsoever.

Counter Arguement 2: Kamen Rider number 1. His powers arguably come from himself because he's half cyborg, and the organization trying who did that to him is pretty much trying to conquer the world

I can agree that super heroes are different in each country but to say that japan has none of that is like saying Japan doesn't have a hip-hop or rock genre because it's different from the U.S.

I like that you are introducing the idea of counterarguments, but they just don't work in this case. It's black and white. Does Japan have superheroes? The answer is yes. That's all there is to that. Now let's move to why he would say Ikkitousen has more value to its viewers for the story when that's not the case.

Peek a Boo!
@ Darkster: The thing he uses for a Rider Punch. Its a camera. I double checked the toy. :thumbs:

School Days
Let's not forget the old toku guard. Kikaider, Inazuman, Lion Maru doesn't use a suit his body transforms via the magic of a sword, ... ah **** it, I'm just gonna post this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toei_Superheroes

This list gets a :thumbs::thumbs:

Even Toho's got some superheroes like the heroes of the Chouseishin series and ZoneFighter with his sidekick Gojira!

Last edited:
Just an Internet User Passing Thru
Do you have a link to this specific podcast where it occurred?

Banned
It seems this guys has a fairly narrow defention of Super Hero.
Ie, the Selfless, Lawful Good, Superman type.

And let this guy cosplay in Shinjuku, the Yaks will have a Kendo stick up his ass in no time flat.

I like that you are introducing the idea of counterarguments, but they just don't work in this case. It's black and white. Does Japan have superheroes? The answer is yes. That's all there is to that. Now let's move to why he would say Ikkitousen has more value to its viewers for the story when that's not the case.

Hrmm I guess I shouldn't have used the word counter-arguments, I think I was looking to poke holes in his logic. Anyways, I feel like he's the kind of person who thinks he/she knows everything from watching what has been provided but only lies on the very edge of the subculture. I mean the Toku world just blew me away when I started watching Kamen Rider

It's over 8,000!
That's right. He shouldn't act as though he knows everything about something he's never even seen.