So did this guy mention things like Ultraman in this podcast? or are we to just assume him saying 'no superheroes' was because he was only looking at manga and anime and is completely unaware of tokusatsu?

Goku's powers are his own, has a superman-ish origin and he fights villains trying to destroy the planet/enslave the universe. Is that not good enough? :disappoin

This guy is obviously some Johnny-Come-Lately hipster, who's only into anime. Or rather, only what made it to the US. He's too boneheaded to even use the Internet to find out what a Japanese superhero is or looks like. American anime fans of this type are culturally retarded. I've met them before. They really just want American-style sci-fi, some just want perverted stuff (because they gotta' see what naked chicks look like, and see them have sex).

What constitutes as a "superhero" to American anime fans? Pretentious, angsty, non-costumed adolescent boys who either carry some big weapon, or shoot energy beams. The only costumed superhero they know of is the Guyver, who, ironically, is not very popular in Japan (where he was always a cult otaku creation), and is much hotter here than there. Various female superheroes have gotten more attention here in the US. Some for very obvious reasons...

Japanese superheroes never get any recognition in America, either due to legal reasons (US rights in legal limbo; like Ultraman, The Space Giants and Spectreman), concern over violent content, or the fact that the studios want an obscene amount of money for the really popular stuff (they actually want mainstream exposure; yes, they have delusions). Toho being a worst case offender.

But, this is where we come in. We're the ones spreading awareness of Japanese superheroes in America and abroad. Through websites, YouTube and its ilk, and forums. So you may not believe it, but we've had the toughest time of any community, even more than communities related to Godzilla (who's already had more American exposure).

We're schooling a new generation.

Lurker
Podcast please. I'm pretty sure their comments will have some interesting arguments.

Red Ranger: Actually he did mention Ultraman as well as Kamen Rider and Super Sentai. He groups them all under the banner of "the costume is the hero, not the person inside" (Never mind Ultraman technically isn't wearing a suit, nothing he can take on and off).

ryuuseipro: Amen, brother (or sister), amen. Being an Otaku myself, I am ashamed when a fellow otaku makes a sweeping generalization like what this guy did. Fortunately, there aren't too many like him. Unfortunately, those that are tend to be louder than the more tolerant and sane otaku.

If you guys are interested, here's the link to the video so you can judge for yourself.

http://animeshaft.com/2010/09/20/thomass-prerogative-22/

I only wish I could discuss this on an actual podcast and not just in a forum.

I would love to discuss this in a counter podcast if I could :] Anyways. the worst part of this is that he recognized that anime isn't directed for America yet he says that Japan doesn't have superheroes (I almost typed superherpes here) "like we do in the U.S."

Well of course not there's a big ocean separating us and our idea of a superhero so of course they're going to be diffferent.

They may be different but to say that they aren't super-heroes at all is kind of, you know, bull ****.

*facepalm* :mad: Guess this guy doesn't know where Power Rangers gets it's footage from. Did he not notice that their powers work the same way Iron Man's do? CRITICAL RESEARCH FAILURE! I won't be listening to this guy's podcasts.