Fighting evil makes me thirsty
I'll save my opinion for after E3...but I'm hopeful. 1080p would be soooo sweet! But it really doesn't matter because if it's Nintendo I'm buying it. xD

Honestly, I enjoy the Wii and don't see why it gets so much crap over targeting "casual" gamers. It does have a lot of kid-friendly and "casual" games but then it has really great, unique titles as well that are certainly aimed at more experienced players.

Banned
The hardware aspect I am sure they will do, but to say they are now going after a non casual type of gamer seems a stretch.

In Justice, We Trust!
Hardcore Gamers and nintendo? For some reason, hearing those two together in the same sentence doesn't quite click with me...but I'll wait till more news is released before I make a judgement call.

S

scikaiju

Yeah I'm going to wait until I see something official from Nintendo and not some unnamed source.

Lurker
The hardware aspect I am sure they will do, but to say they are now going after a non casual type of gamer seems a stretch.

Why is it a stretch? Nintendo has always had some serious hardcore games, its the third parties on their systems that don't catch on. That's why they're making the system powerful. The traditional "hardcore" gamer wants all the bells and whistles in their games so to get those developers on there, they have to push the hardware big like this. I think it can totally work.

It's Judgement Time!
yyyyeeaaaah I dont believe it. Sounds like wishful thinking. My current bet is that Nintendo continues to capture the casual market with a 3D console, just like their DS.

I really dont see Nintendo making that jump into the ultra powerful graphic processors of the PS3 just to compete against them. Because it won't help. Even if Nintendo does do that, the best they will get are ports from other consoles. They wont get real support.

I think Nintendo will stay where they are at because, ultimately, it has made them hugely successful.

Regardless, I've sworn off Nintendo after the Wii. They would have to do something pretty fucking epic to get my money ever again. The only thing keeping me from pawning the Wii is the next Zelda game.

Is not impressed right now...
This won't happen because, as they've proven over the last three generations, Nintendo hates money.

Nube
All I hope for the Nintendo's next-gen machine is that even if its not as powerful as a PS4/neXtBox is that its powerful enough that companies can easily port games to it. The problem with the Wii is that it was not powerful enough so instead of getting ports of Next-Gen games it got ports of PS2 games and a ton of shovelware. The Wii is more powerful than a Gamecube (which was more powerful than a PS2) and yet most Wii games look like PS2 games so companies could easily port a wii title to the PS2. So I hope its more like say the Dreamcast was to other last-gen systems, sure it was the least powerful but had the dreamcast not bombed other companies could have ported PS2 games to it.

yyyyeeaaaah I dont believe it. Sounds like wishful thinking. My current bet is that Nintendo continues to capture the casual market with a 3D console, just like their DS.

I really dont see Nintendo making that jump into the ultra powerful graphic processors of the PS3 just to compete against them. Because it won't help. Even if Nintendo does do that, the best they will get are ports from other consoles. They wont get real support.

I think Nintendo will stay where they are at because, ultimately, it has made them hugely successful.

Regardless, I've sworn off Nintendo after the Wii. They would have to do something pretty fucking epic to get my money ever again. The only thing keeping me from pawning the Wii is the next Zelda game.
Nintendo has stated many times that people hate 3D with glasses which is why 3D on TVs doesn't work but it does on the 3DS, yeah they aren't going to be burrying their own console to promote the 3DS and the new console will definitely not come with a glasses free 3D tv. People also expected the revolution controller to be a touch screen because of the revolution of the DS and the wii is nothing like the DS.

The PS3 is no longer an "Ultra powerful" console, it came out in 2006, its dated, any high end PC makes the PS3 look bad the same way the PS3 makes the Wii look bad. And what do you mean Nintendo can't compete? You realize Nintendo is in first place this generation right? This console is not out to compete with the PS3/360, thats what the Wii was for, this is the next gen machine.
Yeah I'm going to wait until I see something official from Nintendo and not some unnamed source.
Plenty of reputable websites have reported it and the wii was due for a successor anytime now, its still a rumor but its not like its some random free blog that posted this, most of this information if not all is very likely to be real. Apple does this all the time, its likely Nintendo itself leaked it or told developers to leak it, no way so many people would have reported it on the same day.
This won't happen because, as they've proven over the last three generations, Nintendo hates money.
What do you mean? Nintendo has made nothing but money this generation, seriously, their next three consoles could fail and they would be fine because of how much money they got this generation. Now maybe you haven't gotten what you've wanted but thats another subject.

Hardcore Gamers and nintendo? For some reason, hearing those two together in the same sentence doesn't quite click with me...but I'll wait till more news is released before I make a judgement call.
Why not? Nintendo makes plenty of "core" games.

Well thats what the article says, Nintendo hasn't necessarily said it. However Nintendo has been trying to please the core gamer for the past two years and they've done mostly a good job at it. Now to back up the article, Nintendo did mention a few months ago they were abandoning the very successful "Touch Generation" which started the whole casual trend with the DS. Nintendo has also gone on record that the casual market was being overcrowded, with Sony and Microsoft doing casual gaming as well, Nintendo needs to change their strategy. They took the industry by surprise with the DS and Wii but their competitors finally caught up to them and Nitnendo needs to do something different again and not just repeat what was successful last time. They aren't going to ignore the casual market they helped to create obviously but that doesn't mean they won't try to find new things as well.

Last edited: