Has anyone else seen this? It looks dead uncomfortable to use!

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/buy/

It seems like a step backwards in my opinion, may as well just have one screen too! It's just too flat and tablet-ish for my liking. Unfortunately, it's real though...​

I will tell you, Nintendo has been very disappointing and taking steps backwards
over the past few years. I do not know what their deal is but, they seem content on losing the console wars.
I do not see a difference between this and just turning off the 3d on your 3ds.
This system is also by no means more affordable, it is $150+ .
You can buy a new 3DS for $160 at GameStop, making the 2DS another waste of money
as all it will do is collect dust on store shelves. I seriously hope no one is stupid enough to carry this in their stores.

You can buy a new 3DS for $160 at GameStop, making the 2DS another waste of money
as all it will do is collect dust on store shelves. I seriously hope no one is stupid enough to carry this in their stores.

I completely agree with everything you just said. I have no idea how they thought this would be a good idea. It just looks strange as well.

Meh. That's all I am going to say.

They could have invested all the money in building a solid next gen console instead of this.

I've since read that it's aimed at 7 year olds and below. So it makes a bit more sense. But personally, I think it should've been released before the 3DS to avoid this confusion.

I will tell you, Nintendo has been very disappointing and taking steps backwards
over the past few years. I do not know what their deal is but, they seem content on losing the console wars.

They are not in contention with Sony and Microsoft. The "console war" doesn't involve Nintendo, and it hasn't for a while. They are their own niche market. I don't know where you live, but the 2DS is $130, not $150+. You don't seem too bright.

I've since read that it's aimed at 7 year olds and below. So it makes a bit more sense. But personally, I think it should've been released before the 3DS to avoid this confusion.

Yeah, this console is aimed at kids. We adult gamers are going to stick with our Vita ot PSP.

Well, personally the 3D on the 3DS gives me a very awful headache from eye strain and a little bit of dizziness too. I actually turned it off in the parental controls so I can launch the games "in 2 d" instead of accidentally hitting the 3D slider (because I'm a klutz) and slamming my eyeballs into a visual brick wall with spikes in it.

It is definitely aimed at kids though. The buttons are closer together for small hands, there are no delicate hinges to break, and no 3D to hinder their eyesight development. 3D can really mess with a kid's ocular development and it's pretty serious. I mean, we develop eyesight problems the most later on in life, but having to deal with vision problems all your life because you played some dumb games in 3D and didn't realise it was bad for you? That would suck. I'm all for the 2Ds. One of my friends actually has a 2Ds instead of a 3Ds like the rest of us but I think he's got vision problems already, wears contacts and his eyes hurt a lot. :(

And just because it's marketed for kids doesn't mean it's just for kids!! There's no "Silly gamers, 2Ds's are for kids!" going on here. People can buy and use what they want. I don't want a Vita or PSP. I like the gameboy/DS platform as I have since my very first lime green GBC. There's something simple and comforting about a handheld platform's games that aren't often very similar to console games, which have more screen area to work with and more processing power. Maybe I'm just some crochety old traditionalist, I don't know. ;)

I love this myself. No idea why people wouldn't like it, I mean, it's not like this is done in place of some new console, it's just another option for people. I really welcome it, because I can't use the 3D on 3DS anyway (and honestly, I don't know anyone who can, 3D technology now just isn't fit for games on a small screen.), so I'm glad I don't have to pay extra $50 or so for something I will never use. Sure, it's a little less portable than it's "big" counterpart, but that's not really an issue for me, because I don't carry my gaming stuff anywhere, usually. Plus, there isn't that many games on the 3DS I would really want to play (I can only think of 2 or 3), so paying for the "premium" model isn't worth it for me. All in all, I really like this, and I'll be picking one up soon. :)

I haven't used the 2DS yet, but they are a bit cheaper than the 3DS, so I will probably buy one for that reason alone. They're pretty ugly, and I don't imagine their any less comfortable than a gameboy advance.