Ninninger or "does Toei really want to make sentai worse and worse year after year"?

D

Dr Kain

Garo anime isn't remotely similar to Berserk. It has its own feel and atmosphere. As well as a lot of great characters and their development.
The thing that always annoyed me in Garo franchise was the lack of character development and any real plot. Thankfully both anime and season 3 had a lot of both. That's why I prefer them over any other Garo media.

Season 3 had character development? Not really. The dumbass Garo dude was the same jackass at the end of the show that he was at the beginning. Not to mention they completely threw away all of the great choreography and Horror designs in that season. Oh, and they also barely had any armor action. What is the point of having him transform if it is going to be 3 seconds of a really bad looking CGI suit? Also, let us not forget that they had a clip show, a new episode, and another clip show in a row.

Kouga grew as a character in Season 1 AND the show had the best choreography ever in a Toku series, an excellent gothic rock soundtrack, atmosphere, unique and interesting designs for the Horrors, top notch cinematography, and the armor was a real suit and was on screen for quite a bit. Amemiya knew what a Toku series was supposed to entail. It felt like an Onimusha game combined with Devil May Cry.

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
Except there was character development, he acts pompous, but once his mom died he acted more like an adult. There is also blondie losing his hand and replacing it with a makai metal fist (WHICH SHOULD BE BURNING EVERYTHING IT TOUCHES INCLUDING HIS SKIN AS ESTABLISHED IN PREVIOUS SERIES). Plus the third series is the best (note: I have not seen Flower of Makai yet).

Season 3 had character development? Not really. The dumbass Garo dude was the same jackass at the end of the show that he was at the beginning. Not to mention they completely threw away all of the great choreography and Horror designs in that season. Oh, and they also barely had any armor action. What is the point of having him transform if it is going to be 3 seconds of a really bad looking CGI suit? Also, let us not forget that they had a clip show, a new episode, and another clip show in a row.

Kouga grew as a character in Season 1 AND the show had the best choreography ever in a Toku series, an excellent gothic rock soundtrack, atmosphere, unique and interesting designs for the Horrors, top notch cinematography, and the armor was a real suit and was on screen for quite a bit. Amemiya knew what a Toku series was supposed to entail. It felt like an Onimusha game combined with Devil May Cry.

I actually agree with Kain here and there was better character development in the original Garo than Garo 3 and arguably the anime. Garo 3 and the anime had these big jumps in character in response to huge events so it seemed like there was proper character development. You're supposed accept that Ryuga and Leon (anime protag) have these newfound sense of purpose and considering their backstories it really only works Leon. Kouga's development is a lot more gradual and subtle it feels more satisfying. Leon and Ryuga make drastic changes to how they act where Kouga builds on his character.

Garo 3 seems like the DmC to Devil May Cry. It's trying to be edgy and cool while completely missing the key aspects of the source material. It had its moments but I honestly would recommend everything else before I recommended 3, including the anime which is essentially 3 in medieval times.

D

Dr Kain

Except there was character development, he acts pompous, but once his mom died he acted more like an adult. There is also blondie losing his hand and replacing it with a makai metal fist (WHICH SHOULD BE BURNING EVERYTHING IT TOUCHES INCLUDING HIS SKIN AS ESTABLISHED IN PREVIOUS SERIES). Plus the third series is the best (note: I have not seen Flower of Makai yet).

Ryuga didn't have character development though, that was just plot convenience. His mother died and suddenly he is a good person? It doesn't work that way. It needs to be built up. That would be like having the Marvel movies leading up to the fight with Thanos for many many movies, and then the first time they meet Capt America says, "Hey, what you're doing is wrong!" and Thanos responds with, "You're right, I give up, you win. Here are the Infinity Gems. What was I thinking? I will be a good guy from now on."

Gokai Silver was a complete asshole and his motivations never made sense. Why does he need to care about a girl he met for 4 minutes for anyway? That never made sense.

How is the third series the best? It was Garo in name only.

A major reason I hate Takaharu more than Daigo: his actor is the worst we've had in super sentai in YEARS.

Yeah, like the magic, the last ninja is something that's really stupid.

Maybe more the problem with his face? He's hard to believe because of his smile maybe? It always looks forced.

It doesn't work that way.
Humans will act like humans meaning they do humany things including that. Nobody is the same.
It needs to be built up.
It didn't need it because needing something means you can't do it without it. It happened, what you might be talking about it that build up would significantly help it.
That would be like having the Marvel movies leading up to the fight with Thanos for many many movies, and then the first time they meet Capt America says, "Hey, what you're doing is wrong!" and Thanos responds with, "You're right, I give up, you win. Here are the Infinity Gems. What was I thinking? I will be a good guy from now on."
That is an analogy so extreme that I think you're blowing it out of proportion.
Gokai Silver was a complete asshole and his motivations never made sense. Why does he need to care about a girl he met for 4 minutes for anyway? That never made sense.
Never seen Gokaiger aside from the crossovers with Kamen Riders and Gavan.
How is the third series the best? It was Garo in name only.
-Colligraphy
-Makai knights
-Makai priests
-Horrors
-Lots of techno magic
-Features the titular armor
-Is in continuity with the same setting

That is Garo, name or not.

D

Dr Kain

Never seen Gokaiger aside from the crossovers with Kamen Riders and Gavan.

The actor that played the jackass whoring drunk in S3 is the guy that played GokaiSilver.

-Colligraphy
-Makai knights
-Makai priests
-Horrors
-Lots of techno magic
-Features the titular armor
-Is in continuity with the same setting

That is Garo, name or not.

Those weren't Horrors though, those were Las Plagas infected people. Horrors are supposed to be full blown monsters with intricate unique designs and abilities.

Each episode had maybe 5 seconds of armor, doesn't legitimately count as an armored battle.

As for continuity, we don't know that, really.

Anyway, I think we are getting way off-topic now.

Those weren't Horrors though, those were Las Plagas infected people. Horrors are supposed to be full blown monsters with intricate unique designs and abilities.
Those were madou horrors, the kind you are thinking of are the usual inga kind. They even stated this in-series, did you even watch it?
Each episode had maybe 5 seconds of armor, doesn't legitimately count as an armored battle.
So did a good chunk of episodes in the first two series.

D

Dr Kain

Those were madou horrors, the kind you are thinking of are the usual inga kind. They even stated this in-series, did you even watch it?

Yes I did. I watched it when it first aired and tried to forget as much as I could of it after it ended. None of that makes any sense. IN the first two series there was only one type of Horrors, Horrors. They didn't have some special names or types until the third season ruined the horrors by making theirs lazy in designs.

So did a good chunk of episodes in the first two series.

Except that is not true. They had actual choreography in every episode. There was a battle that was several minutes long. They actually fought the Horrors. Season 3 had them spend 19 minutes trying to find the Magini and then 1 minute of posing, and then 15 seconds of Ryuga slicing the Magini, a little bit of "the day is saved," and the episode ends. Hell, there wasn't even a big grand battle in the finale.

I wanna add to that Inga Horror vs Madou Horror bit.

I think that's probably the best example of taking a key concept of the source material and getting it absolutely wrong in your version.

The best thing about the Horrors are that they are extensions of their hosts dark desires and from that you get these grand monster designs and stages with a fun little story, but they are inherently evil and come from evil desires. Madou Horrors do not share the same convention and are just evil for being evil sake.

For production reasons I understand why they'd use something like Madou Horrors but they were such a boring enemy compared to what it's predecessors did and to be completely honest the first two Garo seasons exhausted the best ideas for enemies that this show has to offer with its lore.

Again I reiterate that Garo 3 feels like them trying to re-imagine the Garo series as a whole and what they could do with the Garo world but went in a direction that just doesn't fit the universe at all. The anime actually manages does everything Garo 3 does and does it better.