Ninninger or "does Toei really want to make sentai worse and worse year after year"?

D

Dr Kain

So I finally watched the second half of that episode where they learned nothing, and nope, sorry, I can't agree that they learned anything even in that part.

Yes, Taka did start to learn that his entire team needs to work together to be at their best, but then 3 minutes later he is given Carnival Form 2.0 and does everything for the rest of the episode on his own. WTF? They just undermined their entire message, going back to what I said originally, they didn't actually learn or earn anything.

So I finally watched the second half of that episode where they learned nothing, and nope, sorry, I can't agree that they learned anything even in that part.

Yes, Taka did start to learn that his entire team needs to work together to be at their best, but then 3 minutes later he is given Carnival Form 2.0 and does everything for the rest of the episode on his own. WTF? They just undermined their entire message, going back to what I said originally, they didn't actually learn or earn anything.

So this IS.....like kyoryuger? the red getting the power-up because the maker of the power-up liked the leader the most (kyoryuger it was kyoryu purple just havng a crush on King. Idk about ninninger.)

No, that is NOT what Taka learned from that episode. You really need to pay attention. What he learned is that his team works best when he basically does what he does best, and that is to hog all the attention. Because by being the focus of the enemies, it allows Kasumi and Yakumo to implement their schemes/plans, and Nagi/Fuuka to use their cleverness. This is almost word-for-word what was said in the episode so I don't understand why you totally misinterpreted it.

Yes, I just said it in the most sardonic way possible so you won't accuse me of sugarcoating it. It may not be the best lesson, but it's both correct and makes sense with the context. He was given the Transcendence first so he can hog even more attention.

And yes, this is the same idea of the teamwork espoused in Kyoryuger. An idea of teamwork centered around making individual members shine given specific situations, instead of the whole team all at the same time.

Really, when I said that you didn't know what you were talking about, I was totally right.

Again, that is the lazy way out for defending a show. Are you telling me that you have no expectations from any Sentai show because it is aimed for kids? Or no expectations for anything that is aimed at kids? Because if so, that is a very closed minded way of thinking. That means you are pretty much saying kids are stupid and should be treated as such.

Kids aren't stupid. They just enjoy different things and just haven't had enough education to grasp most concepts. Most adults, especially these fans in their teens-twenties who live in this bubble where Sentai is made for them have very little understanding of what kids actually do enjoy.

Also, it's actually the opposite: What's close-minded is thinking that what YOU enjoy is only what kids will enjoy. Or that these shows treat kids as stupid. That is just simply not true.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
And yes, this is the same idea of the teamwork espoused in Kyoryuger. An idea of teamwork centered around making individual members shine given specific situations, instead of the whole team all at the same time.

Is this in line with the view that you have previously expressed, that having the whole team take on a monster is "ganging up" or "bullying"?

Kids aren't stupid. They just enjoy different things and just haven't had enough education to grasp most concepts. Most adults, especially these fans in their teens-twenties who live in this bubble where Sentai is made for them have very little understanding of what kids actually do enjoy.

Also, it's actually the opposite: What's close-minded is thinking that what YOU enjoy is only what kids will enjoy. Or that these shows treat kids as stupid. That is just simply not true.

Japan as a whole seems to be much more open to wackiness and slapstick on TV than most of the west. OK, so the stuff about Japanese game shows gets exaggerated but you need only watch an ad break on a random channel to see what I'm talking about ...

Is this in line with the view that you have previously expressed, that having the whole team take on a monster is "ganging up" or "bullying"?

That's my own personal view. Not necessarily the view Kyoryuger or Ninninger is trying to communicate. There was never such a message explicitly or implicitly shown on either shows.

It just so happens to align with their message in a way, so I have absolutely no problem with it.

Japan as a whole seems to be much more open to wackiness and slapstick on TV than most of the west. OK, so the stuff about Japanese game shows gets exaggerated but you need only watch an ad break on a random channel to see what I'm talking about ...

It's also true for Korea and my country (Philippines). Japan is worse with the weirdness, though.

Comedy in the west tends to replace the slapstick/wackiness with verbal barbs. For example, the things Colbert/Stewart say about relevant people just wouldn't fly in Asia. They would either be unfunny or insulting or both for the average audience.

Of course, I do enjoy them, because appreciating diverse kinds of comedy is fun.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
It's also true for Korea and my country (Philippines). Japan is worse with the weirdness, though.

Comedy in the west tends to replace the slapstick/wackiness with verbal barbs. For example, the things Colbert/Stewart say about relevant people just wouldn't fly in Asia. They would either be unfunny or insulting or both for the average audience.

Of course, I do enjoy them, because appreciating diverse kinds of comedy is fun.

It does make me question the idea that recent Sentai/Kamen Rider is so ridiculous no one could possibly find it funny or take it seriously. I'd be willing to bet that older viewers are fine with it a lot of the time. (From what little I've seen of the Japanese fandom online, they are quite scathing about things they find inadvertently stupid such as actor's accent or mangling lines, but not so much about the deliberately zany stuff ...)

Yeah. I think the only way something ridiculous becomes unfunny is if the show itself takes it too seriously. Most of the recent KR/SS don't take themselves too seriously.

Heck, Ninninger's idea of bringing a removed member back is by physically dragging him back in by accident. In other shows that would be a major plot point and source of angst. That gives us an idea of exactly how much angst we should expect from the show: very very little. So let's lighten up.

So this IS.....like kyoryuger? the red getting the power-up because the maker of the power-up liked the leader the most (kyoryuger it was kyoryu purple just havng a crush on King. Idk about ninninger.)

Pretty much except uniike Kyoryuger where Daigo is uncritically accepted as Jesus and almost perfect, Takaharu is portrayed as an idiot who is just good at powerlevels and bad at critical thinking.

Shining~
No, that is NOT what Taka learned from that episode. You really need to pay attention. What he learned is that his team works best when he basically does what he does best, and that is to hog all the attention. Because by being the focus of the enemies, it allows Kasumi and Yakumo to implement their schemes/plans, and Nagi/Fuuka to use their cleverness. This is almost word-for-word what was said in the episode so I don't understand why you totally misinterpreted it.

When I read your reply to him, I remembered that what's in O-T's sub is slightly more vague compared to what you are saying.
I got the "Taka being there helps the others" part, but not so much about the "being there = hogging all attention" part, so maybe the "problem" is not in the person watching the show, but the sub? Different people translates certain words differently, after all. The sub I watched may have said it differently from the sub you or he watched.

But if you also watched O-T's sub then maybe it's just me and you can ignore this post :sweat:

Nice explanation for that particular scene, by the way :)

Pretty much except uniike Kyoryuger where Daigo is uncritically accepted as Jesus and almost perfect, Takaharu is portrayed as an idiot who is just good at powerlevels and bad at critical thinking.

I knew it. King is samba jesus. And they want takaharu to be an idiot and be the strongest......i guess for the sake of saying that an idiot can be smarter than someone else. Honestly, i wouldn't put takaharu as leader, as he's too stupid and feels too much like a convenient plot device.

When I read your reply to him, I remembered that what's in O-T's sub is slightly more vague compared to what you are saying.
I got the "Taka being there helps the others" part, but not so much about the "being there = hogging all attention" part, so maybe the "problem" is not in the person watching the show, but the sub? Different people translates certain words differently, after all. The sub I watched may have said it differently from the sub you or he watched.

But if you also watched O-T's sub then maybe it's just me and you can ignore this post :sweat:

Nice explanation for that particular scene, by the way :)

Honestly, what are the differences between the tv-nihon and overtime subs? I know they change some words around but is there some sort of specific difference other than the words like grammar, etc.?