7b3c6a_f596caa970e34506ab8d3168c375935a.jpg

So every week TV Asahi airs a programming block called 'Sunday Morning Kids Time' and at the center of that block is 'Super Hero Time' a.k.a. Super Sentai and Kamen Rider. Super Sentai airs at 7.30am and Kamen Rider airs straight afterwards at 8am.

Super Sentai has occupied that timeslot for 20 years; It first moved there for the 7th episode of Megaranger, joining the Metal Hero series B-Robo Kabutack which was broadcast afterwards at 8am. Not only did ratings improve but the show got an extra 4 minutes of runtime!

Within a couple of years the Metal Hero franchise had died and been replaced by 'Moero!! Robocon', a reboot of the old toku show 'Ganbare!! Robocon' which was originally created by Shotaro Ishinomori. After a year Toei decided to adapt another old Ishinomori show and created Kamen Rider Kuuga. Since then every Heisei Rider series has broadcast from that very same timeslot.

But it's been announced that this is set to change. From October (presumably with the start of Kamen Rider Build) Kamen Rider will be pushed back one hour to air at 9am instead. At that time Kyuranger will leapfrog over it and begin broadcasting at 9.30 instead.

The official reason for the change is that Toei are creating a new Sunday morning news program that will air before the kids shows begin. But it would be reasonable to assume that they're hoping the new timeslot will improve ratings.

In all honesty, I think this is suicide. This means they will be pitting both shows directly against Dragon Ball Super and One Piece, two other Toei properties that also appeal to young boys which also happen to be far more popular. Kamen Rider Build may be able to hold its own against Dragon Ball Super, but Kyuranger and next year's Super Sentai will certainly not stand a chance against One Piece.

I have to wonder how much of this decision is Toei's or TV Asahi's though. TV Asahi has got to be frustrated with the low ratings, so I have to wonder if this is their way of pressuring Toei to fix it because why else would Toei want to pit four of their own produced shows against each other? Also, what does this mean for Kirakira Precure? Is it moving to 10:00 or is it staying at 8:30? It's the highest rated show of the block (which still isn't saying much), so I can imagine that it doesn't necessarily need to be moved.

I guess Toei could change the time slots for Dragon Ball Super and One Piece too. From what I've seen, the kids that like Kamen Rider and Sentai in Japan also like the kids anime like Dragon Ball, One Piece, Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On, Pokemon and the other Shonen shows.

Imagine being a kid and you can't pick on which show you want to watch next since they both air on the same time.

To be honest, I'm surprised it took Toei this long for timeslot change.
I expected to happen around 2014~2015, since Go-busters (4.1) had HUGE rating drop had Gokaiger (5.0) and Kamen Rider Gaim (5.2), despite its popularity and started annual V-Cinema Spin-off, had lowest ratings among franchise. I guess Zyuohger and Kamen Rider Ghost rating (current lowest ratings of respective franchise) really affected Toei's decision.
I'm curious how it would affect runtime (especially for Sentai) ; are they going to remain the same (which is likely) or cut down 4-minutes (Dynaman Episode 10 ~ Megaranger Episode 8).
Regardless, I'm REALLY optimistic how this would turn out.

D

Dr Kain

I hope this means they lose the childish aspects of this shows and goes back to giving them more mature plots and episodes again.

It won't change the tone at all. Dragon Ball Super airs at 9:00 AM and the shows feels way tamer compare to DBZ with the violent content.

D

Dr Kain

It won't change the tone at all. Dragon Ball Super airs at 9:00 AM and the shows feels way tamer compare to DBZ with the violent content.

You have to remember though, Super incorporates both DB and DBZ. Plus, DBZ was never that violent.

I hope this means they lose the childish aspects of this shows and goes back to giving them more mature plots and episodes again.

You're not watching Ex-Aid, are you?

Besides, all Heisei Riders aired in this time slot, including the ones about racism and violent murders. The recent change in the level of maturity has absolutely nothing to do with the time slot, it is a purely marketing driven decision by Toei and Bandai.

D

Dr Kain

No, I'm not, but I'm referring to Sentai more than Kamen Rider.

I'll watch Ex-Aid some day after I finally have the time to watch Drive and Ghost.

No, I'm not, but I'm referring to Sentai more than Kamen Rider.

I'll watch Ex-Aid some day after I finally have the time to watch Drive and Ghost.

Why are you being so harsh on Sentai?
I'm guessing you REALLY haven't enjoyed Sentai at all in past few years.