Lurker
Are you saying "Well of course, Jyuuouger will be released and they have to finish Ninninger"? Is it bad that I hope you're saying that? I hope so because it's not regarding Jyuuouger or Ninninger. Because, you see, the releases are called...

Super Sentai V Cinema & THE MOVIE Blu-ray BOX 1996-2005 (Limited) (http://www.amazon.co.jp/スーパー戦隊Vシネマ-..._74_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1S69K7SA80RA1G60YHT8)
&
Super Sentai V Cinema & THE MOVIE Blu-ray BOX 2005-2013 (Limited) (http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/..._rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=205640769&pf_rd_i=desktop)

To not put too fine a point on it, this looks like it'll pick up where Super Sentai THE MOVIE Blu-ray BOX 1975-1995 left off. Going by the names of the releases, I believe these two sets will include: [(?) means I don't want to assume anything; (def HD) means I would bet on them not being upscaled]

1996-2005 (March 23, 2016; 16 films on 7 discs)

• Chouriki Sentai Ohranger: Ole vs. Kakuranger
  • Gekisou Sentai Carranger vs. Ohranger
  • Denji Sentai Megaranger vs. Carranger
  • Seijuu Sentai Gingaman vs. Megaranger
  • Kyukyu Sentai GoGoFive vs. Gingaman
  • Kyukyu Sentai GoGoFive: Sudden Shock! A New Warrior
  • Mirai Sentai Timeranger vs. GoGoFive
  • Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger vs. Super Sentai
  • Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger: The Fire Mountain Roars (def HD)
  • Ninpu Sentai Hurricaneger Shushuuto the Movie (def HD)
  • Ninpu Sentai Hurricaneger vs. Gaoranger
  • Bakuryuu Sentai Abaranger DELUXE: Abare Summer is Freezing Cold (def HD)
  • Bakuryuu Sentai Abaranger vs. Hurricaneger
  • Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger the Movie: Full Blast Action (def HD)
  • Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger vs. Abaranger
  • Mahou Sentai Magiranger the Movie: Bride of Infershia (def HD)

2006-2013 (April 13, 2016; 16-22 films on 7 discs)
  • Mahou Sentai Magiranger vs. Dekaranger
  • GoGo Sentai Boukenger The Movie: The Greatest Precious (def HD)
  • GoGo Sentai Boukenger vs. Super Sentai
  • Juken Sentai Gekiranger: Nei-Nei! Hou-Hou! Hong Kong Decisive Battle (def HD)
  • Juken Sentai Gekiranger vs. Boukenger (def HD: 1st in 16:9 aspect ratio)
  • Engine Sentai Go-Onger: Boom Boom! Bang Bang! GekijōBang!! (def HD)
  • Engine Sentai Go-Onger vs. Gekiranger (def HD)
  • Samurai Sentai Shinkenger the Movie: The Fateful War (def HD)
  • Samurai Sentai Shinkenger vs. Go-Onger: GinmakuBang!! (def HD)
  • The Return of Samurai Sentai Shinkenger: Special Act (?) (def HD)
  • Tensou Sentai Goseiger: Epic on the Movie (def HD: already on Blu-Ray)
  • Tensou Sentai Goseiger vs. Shinkenger: Epic on Ginmaku (def HD; already on Blu-Ray]
  • Come Back! Tensou Sentai Goseiger: Last Epic - The Gosei Angels are National Icons!? (?) (def HD)
  • Gokaiger Goseiger Super Sentai 199 Hero Great Battle (?: would it not be considered the same as the others?) (def HD: already on Blu-Ray)
  • Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger the Movie: The Flying Ghost Ship (def HD: already on Blu-Ray)
  • Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger vs. Uchuu Keiji Gavan: The Movie (?) (def HD: already on Blu-Ray)
  • Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters the Movie: Protect the Tokyo Enetower! (def HD: already on Blu-Ray)
  • Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters vs. Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger: The Movie (def HD: already on Blu-Ray)
  • Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters Returns vs. Dōbutsu Sentai Go-Busters (def HD)
  • Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger: Gaburincho of Music (def HD: already on Blu-Ray)
  • Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger vs. Go-Busters: Dinosaur Great Battle! Farewell, Eternal Friends (?, technically a 2014 release) (def HD: already on Blu-Ray)
  • Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger Returns: 100 YEARS AFTER (?: technically a 2014 release) (def HD: already on Blu-Ray)

I'm excited, especially for the set of older films. Granted, several of them may just be upscales but I'm hoping it'll be minimum. If fact, I have a theory: I've been watching Megaranger (tangent: I highly recommend the series) and from what I've seen, most of the visual effects were done on film and converted afterwards to video, meaning Ohranger vs Kakuranger to the single team movie of Gogo V might just need a rescan/re-edit of the film and make true HD copies with just moments of SD upconversion. I leave out the V-Cinemas from Timeranger vs Gogo V to Boukenger vs. Super Sentai because, from my limited understanding of Sentai post-production, everything was done at the video stage and would require a complete post-production redo, something Toei proved they're not that worried about with the Dekaranger series on Blu-Ray.

Then again, I'm just guessing. I got the set titles from placeholder pages on Amazon Japan and they didn't have a heck of a lot of data. However, even if all the ones I did not list as Def HD end up as upscales, that's still 19-25 films coming on Blu-Ray that'll have HD muscle. Even the upscales may look decent from what little I've heard about the Blus for Dekaranger and the Heisei Rider shows (obviously not counting Kabuto and later :)) Granted, I'll be double-dipping on a few of them here, including a few I have on Blu-Ray (and I found out just in time to start the return process for Mega vs Car and Ginga vs. Mega I just ordered), but a bunch I didn't get and most of them getting shiny HD releases.

What can I say? I only get DVDs and Blu-Rays to support Toku so this is huge news for me. I'm sure a lot of you are excited just because TV-Nihon or another subber will possibly make new subs with the discs.

Last edited:
I'm very keen to get the 1996-2005 set to replace the DVD-R/dual audio VCD/HK DVD versions I have, but alas, the crazy price. I'll try my luck finding it at Mandarake or even the second hand shop when I'm in Tokyo next year. don't... really care about 2006-2013, since most of the movies are pretty meh. :laugh: (Magiranger VS Dekaranger is an exception though)

Lurker
I just had a crazy thought: My thinking right now is there’ll be a still respectable 12 films on the 2005-2013 set. I don’t know what made me think of it but the more I think, the more likely it seems. The films I think would be left off are the ones listed as already being on Blu-Ray. I mean, why re-release them on Blu-Ray when they already got releases on Blu-Ray?

Granted, there are a few holes, 2 of the biggest being the Gokaiger and Kyoryuger-shaped holes that new theory makes. Furthermore, the very existence (or upcoming existence, as it maybe) of these sets means Toei is not worried about making fans double-dip on movies that have already come out.

However…

Toei DOES worry about jamming too much stuff on their discs. The Blu-Rays of Dekaranger and Shinkenger only have 6-7 episodes a disc (the actual number escapes me), Shout’s Zyuranger and Dairanger releases only have 5 episodes a discs like their Japanese releases, and the discs that originally came out with their series (Gaoranger-ToQger) only had 4 a disc. Does 22 films on 7 discs sound like a Toei release? Granted the 1996-2005 set will have 16 films on 7 discs and it’s still possible a 16 film set is still possible for the 2005-2013 set.

However, let’s look at the team-up films on the 2nd set compared to the 1st set. Basically, the ones on the 2nd set are, on average, 20 minutes longer the 1st set’s team-ups. With longer runtimes, the 2nd set’s 7 discs wouldn’t be able to hold the same amount as the 1st set’s 7 discs. To add to the 2nd set’s storage needs, there’s a high likelihood that most of the 1st set’s films will be upscaled while the 2nd set’s films will mostly be true HD. I don’t know a heck of a lot about video technologies, but my understanding was always that true HD took more storage than SD upscaled to HD. ( A.) please inform me if I’m mistaken and B.) I’m still pulling for mostly true HD releases.) With that in consideration, it becomes less of Toei making customers double-dip and more of Toei having a space issue and deciding “Well, these films are already available on Blu-Ray, so let’s make room and omit those.â€

The final issue that stumped me was that the 2nd set was titled “2005-2013,†meaning Kyoryuger would have to be represented somehow. I personally think the “2005†in the 2nd set’s title was supposed to be “2006†to avoid splitting 2005’s films (even if my list didn’t). Disregarding that, Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters Returns vs. Dōbutsu Sentai Go-Busters was released in 2013, meaning you could say the set goes to 2013 and still not include anything from Kyoryuger.

Hence, the film list for the 2005-2013 set, if my theory is correct, would be:
  • The Return of Samurai Sentai Shinkenger: Special Act (def HD)
  • Come Back! Tensou Sentai Goseiger: Last Epic – The Gosei Angels are National Icons!? (def HD)

Like I said before, I’m only speculating. The only reason we have more info on this set than we do about Jyuuoger is because all of the 38 films listed in the first post were already released, which means nothing for their upcoming HD debut. I just like wondering and having theories like everyone’s doing about Jyuuoger. What are your theories? You think 2005-2013 will have all 22 listed films? The 12 of my new theory (the ones not yet on Blu-Ray)? Think some of the movies have a chance of being upscaled for the sets? Anyone besides me and Jacky even interested? Any particular ones you want to see in HD? (Deka: Full Blast Action and Magi: Bride of Infershia for me :) )

Lurker
Either I missed it or they just added it, but Amazon now has a disc by disc breakdown and what bonus features to expect:

1996-2005 (March 23, 2016; 15 films on 6 discs plus bonus disc)
Disc 1:
  • Chouriki Sentai Ohranger: Ole vs. Kakuranger
  • Gekisou Sentai Carranger vs. Ohranger
  • Denji Sentai Megaranger vs. Carranger
Disc 2:
  • Seijuu Sentai Gingaman vs. Megaranger
  • Kyukyu Sentai GoGoFive vs. Gingaman
  • Kyukyu Sentai GoGoFive: Sudden Shock! A New Warrior
Disc 3:
  • Mirai Sentai Timeranger vs. GoGoFive
  • Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger vs. Super Sentai
  • Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger: The Fire Mountain Roars (def HD)
Disc 4:
  • Ninpu Sentai Hurricaneger Shushuuto the Movie (def HD)
  • Ninpu Sentai Hurricaneger vs. Gaoranger
Disc 5:
  • Bakuryuu Sentai Abaranger DELUXE: Abare Summer is Freezing Cold (def HD)
  • Bakuryuu Sentai Abaranger vs. Hurricaneger
Disc 6:
  • Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger the Movie: Full Blast Action (def HD)
  • Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger vs. Abaranger
Each of the 1st 6 discs include art gallery's and dispatch notices (whatever those are). Apparently, the 7th disc doesn't include any movies.
Disc 7: (Bonus Features)
  • rampage! Movie Encyclopedia Bakuryu squadron Abaranger DELUXE Abaresama during Kin Kin!
  • Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger THE MOVIE Full Blast Action undercover investigation file
  • Super Video
  • 2 large squadron large set
  • TV spot
  • production recital
  • complete showcase greeting
  • first day stage greeting
  • design art book
  • drama in music recording landscape
  • Making
  • public just before SP program interview Collection
  • movie promotion
  • interview other

As for the 2nd set, we have:

2005-2013 (April 13, 2016; 14.5 films on 6 discs plus a bonus disc)
Disc 1:
  • Mahou Sentai Magiranger the Movie: Bride of Infershia (def HD)
Disc 2:
Disc 3:
Disc 4:
  • Engine Sentai Go-Onger: Bom Bom! Bom Bom! Net de Bong!! (possibly HD?)
Disc 5:
  • Samurai Sentai Shinkenger the Movie: The Fateful War... in 3D (def HD)
  • The Return of Samurai Sentai Shinkenger: Special Act (def HD)
Disc 6:
  • Come Back! Tensou Sentai Goseiger: Last Epic - The Gosei Angels are National Icons!? (def HD)
The six discs have the same type of bonus features as before, with the last two discs getting clean openings and endings and the Shinkenger disc getting the intermission that played between the Decade movie and the 3D version of the Shinkenger movie (The six main heroes tell the audience about the glasses and when to put them on). Also, there's a bonus disc here too.
Disc 7: (bonus disc like before)
  • magic Sentai Magiranger THE MOVIE Inferushia of bride making heroes of Seriously hot summer!
  • Making of Gogo Sentai Boukenger THE MOVIE strongest Precious Go Go ◆! True face of adventurers!
  • Film version Juken Sentai Gekiranger Neinei! Way! Hong Kong large decisive battle making now, Film version of training in!
  • Engine Sentai Go-onger BUNBUN! BANBAN! Theater BANG!! Mach fully open making BANG!
  • Samurai Sentai Shinkenger silver screen version of decisive war Making shooting Symbol Sojo!
  • TV spot
  • production recital
  • complete showcase greeting
  • first day stage greeting
  • design art book
  • Making
  • Talk Battle
  • movie promotion

So, happiness: my theory about the 2nd set was right, at least in that all the films in my list were included. Goofy me realized when seeing the listing that Toei did what I did: I justified the 2013 in the 2nd set's title by using the Go-Busters V-Cinema, Toei justified the 2005 in the 1st set with Dekaranger vs Abaranger. I never expected the Go-onger net movies or the 3D version of the Shinkenger movie. Props to Toei on adding them. I also applaud all (or nearly all) the extras from the previous DVDs getting included, especially all those separate making of specials that were previously released separately from the movies. Granted, it was probably just a cheap way to include extras, but who am I to complain. :)

Now, for the big sadness: Here's what I translated from both sets:
part of the image benefits of main disk is what you make HD of work to up-convert the SD material to the original.
*sigh* I guess it was too much to expect the older films to get new transfers. Granted, it doesn't say which films are upconverted, but going from the 1st disc on set 1, they don't start putting just 2 films on a disc until they get to the almost-guaranteed-to-HD theatrical films. Let's just say I'm not as hopeful as I was when I made my first post. (As for the Go-onger net movies and the 3.5 movies on the Shinkenger disc... well, I know the Shinkenger movie's short, so that's possibly how the Go-on and Shinken discs got away from it). It's disappointing and I'd probably reconsider my buying the 1st set... if my one of favorite Sentai movies weren't included and I know would be HD (Deka).

(On a separate note: the special features are "SD sized", but unless they're deleted scenes that's usually neither a surprise of a bother).

I'll probably get the first set. Granted, treating upscaled SD like HD bugs me, but I only have DVDs of Gaoranger vs. SS, Hurricanger the movie, and Dekaranger vs. Ababranger. Even if the set is $210, it'll still be cheaper than buying each film individually. Plus, I've seen pictures of Kuuga's upconversion, so I'm hopeful there will be a little improvement. I know people have commented on how blendy the video for the films on analog tape are so maybe that'll be fixed. Who knows, maybe we'll be surprised again. I'll definitely get the 2nd set (I can live with only 2 upconverted films and I love Bride of Infershia and The Fateful War). I'm still excited for both and sounds like they'll be cool sets and, at least for 16.5 of the 29 films will get real HD video. Not the best odds but if you only have a few of the films, still an easier way to collect them. :)

What are you guys thinking?

(P.S.: the .5 I keep using in the 2nd set and for the new total of films getting released? Even if I had a 3D player and TV, I'm not counting both versions of the Shinkenger movie as two. :))

Last edited:
Lurker
We have box art:

[HIDE] SS%20Blu%201.jpg
SS%20Blu%202.jpg[/HIDE]

Toei Video also has a page for the two sets (along with the single disc releases of each disc of the 35th movie box set, which I personally don't recommend as it doesn't include the disc with Super Sentai World).

http://www.toei-video.co.jp/BD/40.html

Next time I post, it'll be a review for one or both sets (I'm getting at least 2nd set :) )

Lurker
Final update unless I get the sets and review them. I just got great information about both sets. However, I can take no credit except for asking the person who knew. That person is Chris (@FortMax), otherwise known as Bunny Hat of Bunny Hat Subs (http://bunnyhat.blogspot.com/?m=1). Here's where I was told:

"From talking with people who have the set, the only features (as in, non-extras) that are upscaled on those boxes are Time vs GoGoV, Gao vs Super Sentai, Hurri vs Gao, Aba vs Hurri, Deka vs Aba, Magi vs Deka, and Bouken vs Super Sentai. Those are the VS movies that were edited in the same way as Gao-Magi's TV series."

"All the V-Cinemas from Oh vs Kaku - GoGoV vs Ginga (including the GoGoV movie) got new HD transfers from the 16mm film. V-Cinemas starting with Geki vs Bouken were edited in HD from the start, and all the summer movies either got new HD transfers from the film, or were made in digital HD to begin with."

"Also, Gao vs Super Sentai is the only non-extra in the set that has shitty blended transfers. All the footage from precious series used in it is from the old analog transfers"

As it stands, only seven films got stuck with upscaled transfers. Out of twenty-nine and a half films (yes, I'm still counting the Shinkenger movie as 1.5) that's pretty good. Granted, twenty-nine and a half films with real 1080p transfers would've been better, especially for the price, but it's a heck of a lot better than what I figured (all the V-Cinemas before the Gekirangers had playtime with the Boukengers being upscaled).

This has me even more excited for what this set represents. This set represents three post-production processes used on Sentai series: mostly edited on film but put on analog tape to finish things up, doing ALL post on digital SD tape, and all post on HD tape. (I never doubted that the theatrical films would be fine, so let's stay focused on the V-Cinemas)

Anyone who has the Dekaranger Blu-Ray set can guess that the films finished on digital SD tape wasn't going to get a Star Trek TNG restoration and the films finished in the era of post on HD tape... well, little surprise there. It was the films on analog tape that had me curious/worried. I figured it was one thing to upscale the relatively clean digital tapes of Gaoranger-Magiranger, but my guess would be that upscaling blendy tape masters would make the weak picture worse.

Knowing that the V-Cinemas finished on analog tape got new transfers gives me hope the series in that era will be in good hands. Keep in mind: that era includes Timeranger.

Of a more immediate concern: I'm excited for the sets again. I still wish the seven upscales get new transfers but still better than what I was expecting (probably not as complementary as it initially sounded).