New Gold Mountain- Wild West through the eyes of Chinese Immigrants

Staff member
Chinese Immigrants and Australian Cowboys is a four-part miniseries that will transport you to Australia’s untamed west. I’ll be contributing it outside of Australia at Sundance Now. New Mountain introduces you to characters you don’t often see in Westerns.
Yoson An and Alyssa Sutherland star are the lead stars of the series. The fact that they play Chinese musical scores during the scenes of the Europeans and Western music during the moments of the Chinese people is a unique feature of this performance. In this revisionist Western, The audience will also address the sufferings of Indigenous Australians from Tasmania. This miniseries’ cinematography is also a strength, as you get to witness the magnificent yet brutal nature of the Australian Bush without the infamous yellow filter.
The Railroads in the Wild West got built by Chinese Men who...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
What? Australia have Cowboys? I thought that is an American thing. You got my attention and I am now curious.

A Murder Mystery based from a true story? Looks like a promising show and It looks easy to binge because its only 4 episodes.

What does the Fox say?
Staff member
When I was growing up the only Chinese I saw in Westerns were like Hop Sing, the cook in the TV series Bonanza. Chinese in Westerns? That was unheard until Bruce Lee came up with the idea for the King Fu TV series. Even though that show it was also not a true account of the Chinese in the wild wild west IN America. This series is about the Chinese in Australia. Sounds very interesting!