Need help editing out a background using Photoshop CS4

Does anybody know of a good way to cut out the background from a picture in Photoshop CS4 and then paste it into a new file with a transparent background.

I'm asking as I'm trying to edit the background out of a Chibi Metal Gear Solid artpiece for my AsiaNami site as part of a logo banner and I'm trying to cut the background out without success.

I've searched on Google without success as most of the links recommend using the Pen tool but it doesn't have the accuracy that the Magic Wand has.

It's a pain in the ass, but the only best way to do it is to zoom in as close as you can get, and manually start using the Polygon Select tool to retrace the outline of the image, then Inverse the selection and then Clear it out.

However, if you're lucky, your mouse will "accidently" double click, and will screw up the image all together. That would be a huge problem, so a lot of people recommend using the Pen tool, as it generates a vector image that does not involve a lot of clicking. More so, it can accurately "curve" around curves in just a few clicks. If you know how to use the Pen tool, I suggest you use that. It's more accurate than anything I knoew. Then just rasterize the layer and use like the Magic Wand tool on the shape you just made, and like the first method, just push the Del button to clear out the image.

Now, if we have hair strands or something that has alpha transparency, that's a whole different animal, and it is very difficult to do, but I assume this is not the case.