General Discussion Narcissism is the Key to a Winning Job Interview

Shawn Hopkins submitted a new blog post:

Narcissism is the Key to a Winning Job Interview

In another life I used to write columns giving job applicants, generally low-skilled employees or first-time applicants, some basic job interview tips. Don't chew gum, I would write. Dress like a person who actually wants a job. Don't curse. Don't stink them out with your perfume.

But I was overlooking the biggest tip of all. Be a big old narcissist.

Researchers at the University of British Columbia have shown something that a lot of the more introverted among us have long suspected, that job...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

I find the results of that study unsurprising, really, but it is somewhat saddening. Of course it makes sense. People who are full of themselves will have no issue coming up with on the spot answers about why they are so great. And that is incredibly important in interviews so the hiring manager can tell that you are confident about your abilities and able to do the job well. However, I think that the consequence can end up being hiring not so pleasant people to work with. That's why I'd hope that all interviewers look at more than just confidence level but also interpersonal skills, especially when jobs these days are orienting more and more towards teams.