My opinion on why MMPR is still considered the best... beside nostalgia

Lurker
Don't get me wrong, nostalgia is a big factor behind MMPR's popularity. I still remember watching the show and movie and that is pretty cool. However, I think a strong part of it has to do with the Japanese show it came from, Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger... Basically the fact they're barely alike.

Just watch an episode of MMPR and the episode of Zyuranger the monster came from and you'll see how totally different they are, despite MMPR is pretty much the season (season 1 at least) that relied the most on Super Sentai footage and had the lowest budget. Any similarities, other than suits, zords, and monsters, only go as far as to keep whatever Ranger out of the fight, ie. Mei is not there, so Kimberly has to be written to be out too. Other than that, practically different shows despite them using 50% the same footage.

I find it funny how MMPR is like that and later seasons, especially the newest one, with higher budgets and more US/NZ shot footage, is more like their Sentai counterparts. I think we adult fans appreciate the effort put into MMPR despite everything saying it should've been a carbon copy of Zyuranger.

If you don't agree with me, that's fine. I just feel that's a big part for the adult fans who know and saw the Super Sentai. I give it two thumbs up for that effort. Granted, maybe Saban didn't want dinosaur aged warriors, but he easily could've gone otherwise. You can deny that a lot of the brickbracks later season got have come from their similarities to their Sentai seasons.

Banned
Shouldn't this be in the power chamber?

And sorry, but PR Samurai uses A LOT more sentai footage than MMPR ever did.

Lurker
Shouldn't this be in the power chamber?

And sorry, but PR Samurai uses A LOT more sentai footage than MMPR ever did.

If it should be in the Power Chamber, my bad.

I have to respectfully disagree about Samurai using more footage. Samurai has quite a bit of new footage while the first season of Power Rangers barely shot anything outside the unmorphed scenes. I don't blame you for thinking Samurai uses more footage. It might've been easier to dub Shinkenger than making Samurai. :laugh:

D

Dr Kain

MMPR is the best? Granted, I loved MMPR, but in all honesty, they are a mixed bag. Season 1 was the introduction, trying to figure out where to take the show. Season 2 continued that trend, but it was season 3 that was the most story driven. Unfortunately, the season was bogged down by a lot of things though, such as the stupid alien rangers concept. I would say that either Zeo or Space is the best season of them all.

Any of the PR seasons that try and do their own thing, instead of directly aping from their Sentai counterpart is automatically better. Shows like Samurai are nothing but poor imitations, with all of the depth stripped away. There's literally no reason to watch it, unless you're a small child that isn't aware of Sentai.

Part of the reason I wish they'd do Goseiger, instead of skipping right to Gokaiger, is that they'd be forced to change the theme and many of the stories.

Banned
If it should be in the Power Chamber, my bad.

I have to respectfully disagree about Samurai using more footage. Samurai has quite a bit of new footage while the first season of Power Rangers barely shot anything outside the unmorphed scenes. I don't blame you for thinking Samurai uses more footage. It might've been easier to dub Shinkenger than making Samurai. :laugh:

I will have to respectfully disagree with you about the MMPR having more.

Shyni
Maybe he meant the first season of MMPR? The first 40 or so episodes only took actual Zyuranger battles, didn't they?

I don't have low self esteem.
Aside from nostalgia, the main reason why I likedx MMPR season 1 is because it's so cheesy it was good!!

Zach and his Hip Hop Kido

Tommy's evil laugh..

Billy always being the scared one..

Season 3 was a bit boring though..

It's Judgement Time!
So MMPR is the best because its different? I dont agree. If you saw a show like MMPR right now, you wouldnt enjoy it. You arent the target demo. But we were back in the day, so we ate it up.

Here's why PR was a huge success:
Dinosaurs, check.
Giant Robots, check.
Bright, colored superheroes, check.
Identifiable and obvious character personalities, check. (Jock, Girl, Smart one, Cool One, Eccentric/Asian one.)
Fast action, check.

MMPR didnt pull punches. When the morphers came out, action blasted onto the screen. There was no pause. Monsters came out, did some attacks and the rangers didnt **** around. You didnt have 50 different megazords. Just one, THE Megazord.And a special attack that had you cheering when it was pulled out. You knew, once the Power Sword came out, the enemy was fucked.

You also had interesting looking villains and creatures with mythologies that were fun to watch. A witch, a gryphon, a monster-cobbler, and two bumbling idiots.

I mean seriously. There was so much fucking win going on, it would have been impossible to fail.

MMPR is far too simple to look back and say "that would work again, definitely!"

It was a product of its time and nothing more.

So MMPR is the best because its different? I dont agree. If you saw a show like MMPR right now, you wouldnt enjoy it. You arent the target demo. But we were back in the day, so we ate it up.

Here's why PR was a huge success:
Dinosaurs, check.
Giant Robots, check.
Bright, colored superheroes, check.
Identifiable and obvious character personalities, check. (Jock, Girl, Smart one, Cool One, Eccentric/Asian one.)
Fast action, check.

MMPR didnt pull punches. When the morphers came out, action blasted onto the screen. There was no pause. Monsters came out, did some attacks and the rangers didnt **** around. You didnt have 50 different megazords. Just one, THE Megazord.And a special attack that had you cheering when it was pulled out. You knew, once the Power Sword came out, the enemy was fucked.

You also had interesting looking villains and creatures with mythologies that were fun to watch. A witch, a gryphon, a monster-cobbler, and two bumbling idiots.

I mean seriously. There was so much fucking win going on, it would have been impossible to fail.

MMPR is far too simple to look back and say "that would work again, definitely!"

It was a product of its time and nothing more.

I cannot see it be duplicated, but if they did reboot the film series, I'd be open to it as I loved the first two. Granted, the first hasn't aged well at all effects wise, but an MMPR update in high budget technology of today would blow our minds, if it was done well. The first thing they'd have to do is look at the first film's suits and then streamline that . Redesign the zords and go after them being war machines . But the best idea would be to release the film in the timeframe around or after the release of Jurassic Park 3D to really capitalize on the series. It worked the first time.

If I saw a show like MMPR, why wouldn't I like it? Simplicity in the world full of complexity ensures success and that's why it did good. If it came around and had the show with all its mythos up front, it'd be boring. Avatar is like the next MMPR that capitalized on the anime boom and it had the many themes ,aside from giant robots.

Multi-colored costumes? Check.
Each person has an element? Check. Sokka has sword.:laugh:
Does the action come on? Yeah and it gets great.
The villains?Hmm....Zuko's ship was kind of like Rita's castle, only better.
Green Ranger figure? Zuko.
Humor? Check. It even gets BETTER.
Identifiable character personalities? Yep. They even looked their personalities.
Strange creatures?Check.
Dragons? Check.
Plus a villain who breaks the obscenely-stupid-while-hero-goes-hardcore-transformation formula? Check.
Gets a subpar movie and a series to make up for it ? Check.

So it has been duped.