二番目の翻訳者
Ponies is a great cartoon. I don't think it deserves the sheer quantity of fanwank it gets, but what show does? It is in the nature of fans to wank over things good and bad, and there is nothing that can stop them.

Anyway, I haven't seen the latest episode yet but I have it on DVR. I've not yet seen a Rarity-focus episode so I'm looking forward to it.

PARTY HARD
What, a kiddie-based show that's on par with Invader Zim? Plus, a lesbian? WHo would say no?!

GAMMA TSUNAMI! (╯°□°)╯︵
I never watched the original series I don't think I was born back when it came out but are there any fans of the new show that grew up on the original cartoon who pick up on any references to the old seasons?

あたりまえ
I watched the first 2 episode after listening to the podcast :thumbs:

二番目の翻訳者
I never watched the original series I don't think I was born back when it came out but are there any fans of the new show that grew up on the original cartoon who pick up on any references to the old seasons?

Honestly, the original show was so bland it's hard to remember much about it -- I say this as someone who was a huge devotee of it back in the day. Mostly I remember stuff from the movies/multiparters (ie, Crunch the Rock Dog / the bee people and the flutter ponies.) None of that's been referenced so far as I know.

No I am probably alone in this but I actually quite like the original series (I even enjoyed My Little Pony Tales) and looked forward to re-runs everyday on the Disney channel. The movie was a high point though but in a cracktastic way I mean you defeat an evil goo flood with butterfly wings. I think what makes the new show work is first writing staff is top notch, Lauren Faust is more evidence of the greatest that the Hanna-Barbera/Cartoon Network Studio produces and they really need to get McCracken and his Cartoonstitute back, sorry tangent. But it also takes the approach that is usually applied to the more boy oriented series when they get revamped, they take the best parts for each various incarnation. I mean we have the elements such as Spike and the various types of ponies from the original series, some of the modern day town set-up from Tales, and a mixture of names from all the various lines. In a lot of ways this could be called My Little Pony Animated in how it is all treated.

See? I told you guys you'd enjoy it!

You owe it to Lauren Faust (collaborator/wife of Powerpuff Girls creator Craig McCracken) to actually make My Little Pony cool!

Lauren had a lot of trouble trying to sell her own creation, Milky Way and the Galaxy Girls (now still an independent toy line), because sadly, networks these days do not want shows for girls, only boys. But then, The Hub offered her to do the new My Little Pony series, and as a proud childhood collector of the toys, she jumped at the opportunity. She wanted to make My Little Pony into something cool that girls can enjoy, because she HATED the older cartoons! She loved getting My Little Pony toys, but she was so disappointed when she saw the cartoons, as she thought they were so insipid! They felt as though, as Craig McCracken put it, they were done by dudes who hated doing a show for girls! (After all, they were so accustomed to doing the likes of G.I. Joe and Transformers.) So Lauren set out to give girls the show they truly wanted.

BTW, I liked the My Little Pony toys when they first came out (especially the very first one, called "My Pretty Pony"), as they were so adorable. I think I still have one in my collection.

Some parting food for thought:

Here's a scathing review by Kathleen Richter on Ms. Magazine.com:
http://msmagazine.com/blog/blog/2010/12/09/my-little-homophobic-racist-smarts-shaming-pony/

And Lauren Faust's thoughtful and awesome response to it on the same page:
http://msmagazine.com/blog/blog/201...non-racist-non-smart-shaming-pony-a-rebuttal/

Last edited:
二番目の翻訳者
That's right, Saint, Spike is from the old show. Some of the stuff with Applejack's little sister feels rather reminiscent to me of some things they did with one of the 'little sister' ponies (I can't remember the name, sadly) back in the old show as well.

The new show develops the world quite a bit more, to my recollection. I recall the old-school Ponyland feeling much more expansive but less detailed in terms of how their society functioned. Also, the original show had the human characters who are obviously omitted in the new one.

That's right, Saint, Spike is from the old show. Some of the stuff with Applejack's little sister feels rather reminiscent to me of some things they did with one of the 'little sister' ponies (I can't remember the name, sadly) back in the old show as well.
Are you thinking of Lickety-Split? She was the main Baby Pony for the original series.

I hope that later on they get a chance to tell a more action oriented story, maybe in a movie. I mean I would love to see the Smooze make a come back. Plus I wonder if we are ever going see the Sea Ponies, since I think the new art style could make them look better and more like actual sea horses.