Monkey Island Is Returning — With Ron Gilbert As Captain!

Staff member
One of the most classic PC gaming series of all time is returning once more — this time with its original boss commanding the deck. Ron Gilbert, creator of Monkey Island, formally announced the new game on April 1, knowing no one would believe him. Three days later, he confirmed it and reminded everyone he had said, seven years prior, that if he were to ever be involved with another game he would announce it on April Fools Day. He was true to his word, and apparently still has the same sense of humor.
Return To Monkey Island is the title, and it turns out Gilbert’s team has been working on it for the last two years in secrecy. It’s nearly done and you WILL play it before 2022 is through (that is, if you buy it…someone once said something about never paying more than $20 for a computer game).
The game will take place where Gilbert left off…and here’s where people not familiar with the series will need an...

Continue reading...

gmvlxbnhwnea20avcjfp.jpg

I miss games like this. I was nuts for Sierra Soft Games back then. Seeing a Modern-day Monkey Island Game makes my heart Jump.

This news is one of the most surprisingly great pieces of information I've ever received. I was shivering and crying while I watched the video.
I first played The Secret of Monkey Island on my brother's Amiga when I was about 35 years old. Finally! A new Game has piqued my interest.

You're getting on in years, and I believe you've seen everything.
Nothing can surprise you any longer, but this trailer did. Childhood Memories!

This trailer is brilliant. Anybody here aside from me thinks Murray is a symbol for all the fans. He hears some violin notes and emerges from the shadows to investigate. The violinist then begins to play, and Murray gives a shocked little jump to say, "wait...no way..." Then the other ghost begins to drop crates, and he notices the Lucasfilm logo and glances back and forth, almost in disbelief, between the musician and the container. The next Crate got opened, revealing Devolver Digital, and Murray was visibly surprised and perplexed (my legit reaction to seeing the devolver logo). When the last Crate got dropped, Murray got taken aback when he saw Ron Gilbert's name.

So learning that this isn't an April Fool's hoax made my day a brighter one!Yes, it didn't take much to bring us joy, but this is incredible!

I never thought this game would have a sequel. I thought it would be a dead IP forever.

Elevation!!! WOO!
Not a fan of this game, but I admire the passion of the fans who gets a new sequel after decades of nothing. I felt the same when Tomb Raider 2013 got announced.

guy

Sentai Monster with no Mouth Animation
I still have the original 5.25" floppy disks from the original game, and I'm curious how the other Returns will be judged in comparison to the rest of the series; each entry was distinct, but they still shared the Monkey Island essence.