Marvel Finally Allowed To Reprint ROM Spaceknight

Staff member
<p>There’s exciting news for those who’ve been hungry to experience a lost piece of Marvel Comics history: the publisher and toy maker Hasbro are finally getting along enough that a legitimate reprint of the classic late 70s-early 80s comic ROM Spaceknight is actually happening.</p>

I'm so excited for the ROM Spaceknight omnibus! It's amazing how ROM became a part of the Marvel Universe even though it started as a toy promotion. Kudos to Bill Mantlo and Sal Buscema for crafting such an epic storyline. Finally, ROM will have its rightful place in the Marvel Comics lineup. I can't wait to dive into the adventures of this robotic hero and his battles against the Dire Wraiths. It's like a piece of Marvel history being restored.

Trust me
It's interesting to see how the deal with Hasbro affected ROM's presence in the Marvel Universe. But now that they're reprinting the original issues, it feels like ROM is making a comeback. I'm glad Marvel didn't forget about this iconic character.

I never imagined that the day would come when a ROM omnibus would be announced. It's evidence of the character's lasting appeal and importance. Marvel enthusiasts will enjoy this set very well.

Just a note that Hasbro was not the owner of the Rom action figure when Marvel stopped releasing Rom comics in 1986. It was Parker Brothers. Hasbro didn't acquire Parker Brothers until 1991.

It's good to see a deal between Hasbro and Marvel for Rom. Rom, as learned by IDW, loses much of the IP without the extensive amount of Marvel-owned world building, like Galador, the Dire Wraiths, and the other Spaceknights like Starshine. Rom was such a huge part of 80s Marvel; unlike Transformers and GI Joe, he was really integrated into the Marvel comics universe, and had crossovers with just about everyone. His final issue was pretty much a giant Marvel crossover issue, with most of the MU fighting the Dire Wraiths.

IDW just wasn't able to recapture the magic with their comic to rebuild it as a stand alone IP. I don't really think Rom stands as a viable property outside of Marvel, as much as I've always loved the character.

And hopefully a Marvel/Hasbro deal can mean we can get new Rom comics, and maybe a Rom Marvel Legend figure.

Last edited by a moderator: