March Tokusatsu of the Month - Chousei Kantai Sazer X -Talk Up!

Nice post!!
33, too? Well, even if I finish quasi-blogging this show alone, I shall quasi-blog it. If nothing else it's getting quite good toward the end.

[HIDE]- The action scene this episode is pretty fantastic. This is the sort of situation that easily could've just started with blunt exposition, but no, we're going to have combat expositing with a Cyclead run-in.
- The total inability of the heroes to quietly persuade the Shoguns is interesting. It really reminds me... well, Macross, with the whole Zentradi/Meltandi/Macross three-way conflict.
- Oh man, is the big plot revelation Sazer X is building up to the whole time "Our widgets are terrible and should not exist."
- It is! That is so fabulous. It does give them wiggle room to give almost everyone a happy ending but I like the perversity of this plot enough that I don't care.
- "Takuto... you are no longer a douchebag." Honestly, he really isn't. At some point I can't quite put my finger on the dude up and became likable.
- Is the entire reason why Gordo "had a fight" with Patora so there'd be an excuse for why everyone could run off under Captain Shark's nose?
- I really can't get enough of these sarcastic passive-aggressive villains. I'd like to see them have a nice long conversation with Tobey.
- The subplot with the Cosmo Capsules becoming quasi-sentient is honestly pretty bizarre.
- I hate to say it, but that is one crappy-looking prop chain.
- Cliffhanger! This would've driven me nuts if I had watched this week-to-week.[/HIDE]

Mad Skillz
Whew I have been behind on the show, but watching it again really gives me a new appreciation for episode 30. It definitely stands out as one of those uniquely Sazer X episodes I'll be able to pimp whenever I want to get people into it.

Nice post!!
It definitely stands out as one of those uniquely Sazer X episodes I'll be able to pimp whenever I want to get people into it.

You know, I'd probably just tell people to watch episode 9. It's early enough in the series run to be really approachable and if that episode can't win somebody over, they're probably just a lost cause.

Episode 34 was good! I don't actually have a lot to say about it because it's clearly building up to some big stuff in the next episode. I really dig Neo-Descal's plan to h4x the timeline and all the Sazer B-Team action.

Banned
Ok, up to speed (Again)

-34-

-Wow, nice faked "Damn, i missed!" line there Aqual.
-"Go head, Shoot me! This thing that has no connection to me will surely protect me!" *boom* "DAMN IT!"
-Oh, Remy, you think she would have learned by now to wear Armor or something, so the bad guys couldn't keep on holding her hostage.
-Is it bad when i heard the Neo-Decal lady tansport, i expected a voice to go "Change Goseiger!".
-Another mini-rant, but where do these people buy these clothes? Takuto had a Letter jacket from Arlington, Texas for some reason.
-Putting the two hot tempers on the same team, good call there Ad.
-So buy covering the world in darkness, no matter how you do it, will result in the same future? :eyebrow:
-Wow, this must the the Second time that sub-sword got used.

-35-

-Oh Noes! Sharks Daddy banged a earth girl now he will vanish if they win.........<_>
-Damn, Cyclead is going insane trapped in that yard.
-Well, apparently kicking a Ball spawns rejects from the Alien movies.
-Thats some backstory, i have to say.

Nice post!!
-Another mini-rant, but where do these people buy these clothes? Takuto had a Letter jacket from Arlington, Texas for some reason.

There's a guy who shows up in Daimajin Kanon wearing a "these colors don't run" American flag T-shirt. I think Japanese prop departments somehow get hold of America's goodwill donations.

-So buy covering the world in darkness, no matter how you do it, will result in the same future? :eyebrow:

Logistically, probably not. It's bluntly stated during the Thundara episodes that the future began to change when she didn't hook up with Blaird. I don't think Neo-Descal's plan could actually work.

Neo-Descal clearly thinks it could, though... probably because of his dismissive attitude toward the Shoguns. The guy's literally trying to will himself into existence without any participation from his own ancestors.

It shows how, in a certain way, Neo-Descal's really not all that different from the Shoguns. They spent most of the show's first arc enthusiastically pursuing plans that couldn't possibly work, too.

-Damn, Cyclead is going insane trapped in that yard.

If only it occurred to someone to take off his hat!

-Thats some backstory, i have to say.

Yeah, I was surprised at how simple the explanation turned out to be. There's a cynical part of me that's inclined to think of it as a cop-out, but I think the way it's handled in the episode works. I'm okay with it.

Episode 35 was quite good. My only original observation on it is that, while I don't think Sazer X managed to create its own Doggy Krueger with Captain Shark, I do think the show managed to create an interesting prototype for Sokichi Narumi.

Only one more day and two more episodes to go after this...

- Wow, they refurbished the Mammoth Bosqito costume... which was itself a kitbash of both refurbished Destroyah and refurbished Death Ghidora costumes. If nothing else, Toho knows how to get the most out of their suits.

- Sadly, Takato, your missiles are not Magic Missiles so you can't use them on the darkness.

- Where'd that giant robot army suddenly come from?

- Since this may be the last time we see it, let me just take a moment to say this CGI replacement for the mecha formation sequence is really jaw-droppingly horrible looking, even for the time period it's from.

- Real men plunge right in and RIP OTHER MEN'S HATS OFF!

- The Three Shogun's Big Hero Moment sequence in this episode was pretty damn good.

- Huh. This really does look like it's going to be one of those shows where the second-to-last episode is the final battle and then we get an Epilogue Episode. Granted, there could still be one more twist it could pull before that but we'll see tomorrow!

Banned
First, a delayed Toho kaiju suit roll call!
Super Mechagodzilla parts on Garade's transforming ship! Check!
FW Mortha's Head! Ceck
M.O.G.U.E.R.A. reuse! Check!

-36- (The end nears.....)

-One one Dragonball Cosmo Capsule left! Just don't wish for Panties.
-Question: Has that Neo-Descal chick name ever come up in the series? i can't recall it even being stated or shown at all in the show.
-Why is it called "Dark Armor" when it's a Stationary weapon? a name like that makes you think it'll be a huge Mobile Armor like the Big Zam or the Destroy.
-That Kaiju look like it might be a recycled Destoryah suit. I'm not cerntain but it look like it. Oh, and part of it's roar is Rodan's and it's head is from GMK/FW Ghidora.
-Haven't seen the Full Equip sequences in awhile.
-Look! More M.O.G.U.E.R.A. reuses!
-So Ad has made Takuto more of a leader, and Takuto has made AD be more aggressive in his planning. Those two crazy guys!
-"Sorry Kane, My suicidal plan work but i'm still alive so my plan failed.....i think".
-So both Takuto and Blairs emit a loud groaning noise with thinking. I wonder how they would fair taking a test?
-It's about time they just took off his hat.
-What do ya know? the Destroyah-based suit can corrod things.
-Woo! Gotengo reuse to the rescue! (Damn, this episode is full of Toho's old suits isn't it?)
-The final battle BEGINS..........Next Time.

Banned
At Last, the end has come.....

-37-

-Spinning Corkscrew Equip....not too shaby.
-Lighting from the fingers eh? "UNLIMITED PPPPOOOOOOOWWWWERR!"
-Well, that must be the 28th time Remy has had a weapon pointed at her in the series. I know she can't Equip, but wear a Armor vest women!
-Damn it Remy! If you just transported the god damn Capsule, everything would be finished, but NO, she has to stand there and think about Shark long enough to get it snatched away from her.
-Ha, they could have beaten that Kaiju by just freezeing that beast in flight and have it smash on the ground like it's Suit did the last movie it was in.
-Well, there goes ***** with no name.
-Why was i half expecting that beast to come back with a Extra mechanical head?
-For such a large beast, it sure has a small head.
-I love how Takuto says he'll go after Neo Decal in the Teleporter so casually.
-The inside of that beast remind's me of the inside of Unicron for some reason, minus the Tecno-Tenticles and Acid Vats.
-Nega Lio looks bas ass! Konami....Play Arts Kai...NOW!
-Believing in your friends: It'l totally protect you from all highly crossive forces.

-Final-

-Hey, it's those kids from the first episode. Bookends much?
-I'm sort of wishing they had brought in Nega Lio in Jackel's place. That could have been Interesting (kind of like Black Beet).
-Nega Lio got Rejected! By the very thing in his chest no less.
-You'd think such a large Monster blowing up with be more like a Nuke going off than a large pile of Flashpots.
-Well, again some form of Temporal Mechanics thats makes sense as the message from the future was cut off since that future no longer exists.
-So the Capsules must always be.....but....aw screw it.
-I suppose Shark went out a better way than Goraza did.
-I have to guess that being "Capsule Warriors" Prevents the others who came from the future from vanishing along with Shark and the Tech.
-Kane: "Don't worry i'm gonna go to become a Cop! And then have some Arm thing possess me and make me eat Popsicles apparently"
-In all, a Standard "Parting of Ways" Finale with a distant tail end. Not bad at all though.

And so ends my first foray into the Chou Sei Shin series. It was quite an Enjoy able one. I'll gonna go watch Justirisers now to see what/how that series burned people.

Wish me luck!

Mad Skillz
And so another tokusatsu of the month comes to a close! Sazer X is probably my favorite of all the shows featured so far. It was a pretty great show that introduced a couple of really unique aspects to tokusatsu as a whole. I really love the ending because it plays to the strengths of the show: generally upbeat, but with moments that make the heroes pay a cost...and in this case, it was Shark. Even towards the end of the show on my first watch, I expected a 100% happy ending. Seeing Shark disappear and the heroes scattered to the far ends of the galaxy was a really unique touch.

I was thinking they might leave all the heroes on earth, allowing them to live life in the past and all that good stuff, but I love what they did a lot more. It goes to show the strength of their bonds and the mission as a whole. (though I was always amused that Takuto's sister got a capsule, was expecting one to go to his grandfather) Though I do hate to say it, I really think being canceled played to the strengths of the show and did a lot to help it find a rather unique identity and in the end do a story that is generally fulfilling. It's the only part of the Star God franchise that I think is really an excellent show and I would have loved for the franchise to continue on like this (maybe another show that put the "god" aspect back into the show), but as is, I suppose this is a really good place for the franchise to end if it must. It would have been cool to see Dark Lio for a longer amount of time if only because it's a really pretty suit, but I generally have no qualms with the way things ended.

And now Ad is off fighting pirates of a different sort.