March Tokusatsu of the Month - Chousei Kantai Sazer X -Talk Up!

Re: Episode 15

1) Sazer X's time travel laws don't always jive, but I'm glad they give us moments like this:

"These guys are utterly incompetent! Can't we kill them?"

"They're our ancestors, we'd vanish."

"... damnit."

2) I'm really enjoying the interplay between Takuto and Blender-- err, Blaird. They're oddly adorable rivals.

3) I'm not quite sure how Shark managed to save everyone there.

4) Neo-Descal is pretty effective. Almost TOO effective. I'm curious to see if they can make Sazer-X believably stand up to them without it feeling contrived.

Nice post!!
Oh, episode 15, you were so special.

[HIDE]- "Hey! If you do that, they'll really die!" Cyclead, this is why you're not a very good villain. You're so bad at being a villain you might as well switch sides and try being a good guy. You couldn't possibly be any worse at it.
- Takuto and Blaird remind me a lot of Fry and Blend-- er, Bender. One day, Blaird, you're going to whisper "except Takuto" under your breath every time you vow to kill all humans.
- ... wow, Blaird, you didn't even make it to the end of the episode. You and Takuto need to get an apartment together.
- Man, I've heard of "Sixth Ranger" syndrome, but with Captain Shark it's completely ridiculous. Wherever there's water, he appears to attain complete mastery of time and space. [/HIDE]

Banned
Caught up to 15.

I am enjoy this shows odd take on Temporal Mechanics. I could go on how Shark should'nt be there due to the fact his Timeline would have changed unless......bah, MST3K mantra.

Takuto and Blender remind of of Goku and Vegeta. They are rival's who want to defeat one another, but have a deep respect for each other. "Only i may defeat him" trope also.

I don't get how shark saved the day ether....does he have Hydrokenesis? Does he piss out the water he uses? IDK.:p

Well... the TV show may be better than I remember it being, but damn, the movie is still a giant piece of flaming plastic garbage.

1) I am kind of amused they totally did a Getta Robo style fight to show off all the forms of their robot. (Though this time around "Getta-1" is the land unit.)

2) What was with the extended bit where the "evil general guy" was trying to recruit Justi-Bosquito?

3) Takuto, they just showed giant armies of Justi-Bosquitos marching through a large number of cities. THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO BE FLYING A LITTLE KID AROUND IN YOUR SPACESHIP!

4) So why did they include the Atragon anyway? Was the Chou Sei Shin series so lacking in fanservice Toho felt they had to throw more in?

5) Ummm... Blaird? Don't you normally object to these kinds of plans? So how come you're all "the word 'cowardly' means nothing to us' here?

6) Speaking of fanservice, it IS kinda nice to see Youhi again.

7) As bad as Justirizer falling apart was, their theme song is still pretty cool. (The chanting at the end always gets me.)

8) You know, it's kind of sad that you have a show with THIRTEEN main characters and you can't even get ONE of them back to do a brief out-of-costume cameo. Hell, I'm pretty sure none of them even came back to do the voices either.

Banned
Damn, that Hedorah suit was used pretty well.

And of course, Shark has a Aircraft Carrier. I'm glad that made it just have to transform other than used Core Braver, have to have 4 mecha share the same Core Block would have been kinda stupid.

The fact the Neo-Descal's can't just Kill Blaird because they would be erasing themselves from History continues to both entertain an confuse me with how this shows handle's it's Timeline.

And kids, remember, if you try to kill someone with Poison, try to not to stick yourself with the needle.

Nice post!!
Yeah so that movie sucked pretty bad. I basically had to fight my way through it.

[HIDE]- What the crapping hell is this basketball scene? Is it some sort of stupid pun on how they fight Bosquito in this movie? I can't begin to imagine any of these characters acting like this in the show.
- What? Why are they adopting random orphans with amnesia?
- Sazer X's sets and props look really bad when shot at high resolution. The digital effects don't work well with the film stock, either.
- Why is Ad being such an utter dick in this movie? Is it to trick people into thinking he has a personality?

At this point the movie had pissed me off so much that I had to leave the house and do something else for a couple of hours. I'm 20 minutes in. Finishing this required the consumption of hard liquor.

- Look, I know you need to work in exposition for people in the audience who maybe didn't see JustiRiser, but the you have the main characters yell their names at the camera? Blatant much?
- The effect for the evil JustiRisers raining down from Bosquito is pretty cool. Gotta be fair if I'm gonna punch this movie's mouth so often.
- I think there is no fight scene that couldn't be ruined by playing the Sazer X theme song over it.
- Oh man the exposition about GranSazer is just totally indigestible. It's been years since GranSazer for me so all this crap about the crystal slab is completely dildos.
- I do like that the kid is a plant from the space pirates, though his presence in the story is still utterly inexplicable.
- Movie, I'm getting goddamn annoyed. Takuto is pretty stupid and I can see him being this dumb about Riki, but Remy too? You gotta make her brain fall out when "is smart" is all she's got going for her? For shame.
- The drill-tank flying submarine is pretty sweet. At this point I do not know or care if I'm supposed to recognize it from something.
- Yes, Kane, the robot with no functioning legs went somewhere on its own. It's like every character in this movie grows more stupid by the second.
- "I can't let down my comrades from this franchise!"
- Is... is this the Captain Shark that exists in Ad's mind? This scene is so baffling.
- Did he seriously drive a mini-van out of the Lio-Carrier?
- "The word 'cowardly' doesn't mean anything to me." Oh, good, Blaird's personality fell out, too.
- Why is G2 being played for cutesyness? Why is this scene happening? Why won't this subplot end?
- You know... why don't the Shoguns just kill Takuto now? I know, I know, they're terrible villains and all, but this is the movie where everyone's out of character anyway!
- Oh, no! Takuto's been surrounded by giant glowing peanuts!!
- "Extinguishing heads?" I... what?
- Youhi is kinda rad. It reminds me of the Iron Gear from Xabungle a little.
- Oh man that shot of Kane hitting his trigger buttons over and over again like a kid playing an arcade game was so stupid.
- Way to not have the Lio Carrier show any reaction whatsoever to being hit, movie.
- Aw, man, JustiRiser has a good theme song. Sazer X, you guys should beat up the JustiRiders and run off with their theme song.
- Aw, man, the JustiRisers were cool-lookin'. Why'd you have to go and get all lame halfway through, JustiRiser.
- I... what? Why are Kane and Ad on the ghost ship? What the hell is happening? I know, I'm drinking and all, but I'm pretty sure I could do my taxes right now and I still can't follow this movie.
- ... wait, the kid summons the GranSazers? Seriously? You go to hell, movie, you go right to hell.
- Aw, man GranSazer had a good theme song, too. There's no way in hell Sazer X could beat those guys up and run off with it, though.
- Oh man, the effects on the fight with the ghost ship are terrible. The CG Sazer mecha don't look like they're even at the right perspective to be hitting the ship.
- "Now, at long last, a franchise crossover! This'll drum up enough interest to keep the Chou Seishin series going for years!!"
- And... uh, then a rainbow CG fart blows up all the little Bosquitos forever, then. That... that kinda sucked, honestly.
- Ha ha, wow. The GranSazer mecha look so terrible compared to the JustiRiser and GranSazer robots.
- This fight is hilarious. It reminds me of that one Rider movie where they're fighting the giant bad guy whose name I'm too buzzed to remember, and there's a bit where Amazon is literally trying to gnaw the guy's shin off, and it's just the saddest thing.
- Well thank God the real hero, the drill-tank sub guys, showed up to actually save the day. Hooray, heroes beating the **** out of a completely immobile enemy!
- And somehow, the Sazer X theme makes this scene completely worse, even though it's already pretty damned bad.
- Crap rainbows at the monster, Takuto! Let this farce come to an end!
- Another nice thing, though: this movie's end theme sucks a lot less than Sazer X's main theme. [/HIDE]

I liked episodes 16 and 17 pretty well, though. The show is clearly hitting is stride now and is starting to have a consistent tone and style.

[HIDE]Episode 16:

- The characters all have personalities again! It's so wonderful.
- I think it's kinda tarikihongan to just transliterate tarikihongan like this. Just as keikaku, maybe?
- Yeah I liked the bit at the end with Captain Shark and Grandpa.

GRANDPA: So... how big of an idiot is my grandson?
SHARK: Pretty big, but he's not useless.
GRANDPA: [weeps tears of joy]

- So, Captain Shark is totally awesome... he's too totally awesome. He's one of those characters like Dekamaster who kinda makes me wonder why any of the other characters even bother to show up.

Episode 17:

- Yeah so this entire plot with Blaird is really stupid if you stop and think about it for a minute, but I like Blaird interacting with the good guys so much I don't plan on doing any of that.
- It's kind of nice to get a subplot about how Captain Shark pretty much does make Ad completely irrelevant. He's a better military hardass and he also has his own personality!
- If they have to do the goddamn "smart, capable girl can't cook" gag, at least they're not overplaying it in a really generic way. The understated "... wait, what?" expressions when people eat her terrible sushi are pretty great.
- Remy, how did you screw up sushi so bad that the rice by itself tastes terrible? [/HIDE]

Banned
Oh Ad, having a Heroic BSoD since your people started ****.....:laugh:

Also, Drill Angler is so a Gotengo reuse. I guess any flying sea ship with a drill on it is a Gotengo.......

Nice post!!
Episode 18 was pretty good. Most of it was basically the show taking a stock plot and elaborating upon it in a way that feels unique to this particular cast of characters. I can't say Sazer X's version of this plot is the best I've ever seen, but it's pretty interesting to see a stab at this sort of thing in live-action.

[HIDE]- Yes, Blender, you're the family dog. Man, there's an episode of Futurama where Bender is jealous of Fry's dog. I think it would've aired before this, too.
- I really love Tobey's message full of like 20 minutes of smack talk about Ad before he gets around to any business. That is pretty much what people would do with technology like this. (Also, I think it's what I'd do if I had to work with Ad. Yeah, I'd apologize to the guy later like Tobey sorta did, but still.)
- Oh man this scene with Blaird and Takuto's mom is so awesome. Takuto's mom is a total stock character but the actress who plays her handles it pretty well.
- ... is this episode actually touch on the idea that Captain Shark is so awesome, the rest of the team stops taking initiative? Oh man I really hope this turns into a running subplot. I've always wanted to see something like happen after a depressingly potent Sixth Ranger showed up.
- Ad may not have a personality, but he has a backstory that would be really interesting if he did.
- Oh, Ad's from Space America. That explains a lot.
- You know, how has Kane heard this story before, but Ad is acting like this is the first time he's ever heard anything about this? It seems weird to me that Ad is apparently just totally ignorant of the whole issue. It seems like the sort of thing where people from Biode would have their version of what "really happened" that they told each other and reinforced to each other as the real truth, regardless of what ignorant outworlders or the space pirates themselves believed. It seems to me like Ad's character arc here should involve something happening to make it seem undeniable to him that the story Biode tells is full of distortions and lies, while Blaird's version is actually true. I guess that might involve going into the issue more than Sazer X really should for a supporting character's subplot. Then again, this show spends tons of camera time on a lot of things most shows wouldn't.
- I am not sure how I feel about this monster suit being used in so many episodes. On the one hand, it's nice to see enemies that have come up with a tough-to-beat monster using it multiple times, because every time the heroes are beating it by the skin of their teeth. On the other hand, using the same monster of the week so many weeks a row feels a bit cheap regardless of context.[/HIDE]

Banned
-Well, the Fire SHogun has been Domesticated fairly quickly. He's already Hanging clothes for a reward of Natto (Vile beans...:mad:)
-"I was alone, looking at the sea *eyebrow flex*"
-I'm only saying this now, but the incidental music with family reminds me of something that you'd hear in a early-mid 90's Sega game.
-Wait, so if Ad's people are raised to be loners....how do they reproduce? And who raises them?
-Todays lesson: Listen when the big fire monster talks about Family.
-Curing a Heroic BSoD = Curing of Colour Blindness apparently.
-Capitan Shark is so badass, he don't need to stinkn' Knuckle-Cross!
-Ad: "Knuckle Wind!, me; "FALCON PWANCH!"