March Tokusatsu of the Month - Chousei Kantai Sazer X -Talk Up!

I tried to watch this series last year, and I couldn't get through the 1st episode. But now I actually like this series and i'm up to 8 and I even think it's better than Justiriser.

Mad Skillz
Niiiice to know you're enjoying it! Seems to be the case with most people, the show isn't too great on their first watch of the first few episodes, but a lot of folks somehow end up loving it the second time around.

Hooray! I've finally got caught up to the point I'm supposed to be on this date!

... Just in time for the recap episode. Hooray.

And yeah, I have to admit I'm also one of those who remembered hating it the first time I saw the first three episodes before I quit and now I'm actually enjoying it.

The thing that gets me is that, I initially stopped watching because the show felt overly wacky in a way that annoyed me and now I'm not sure where that feeling came from.

(Perhaps it was residual bitterness from how Justirizer suddenly took a turn for the wacky and, in two episodes, totally killed my interest in what had been my favorite show of the season up until that point.)

This all actually makes me want to rewatch the movie even if, with that one, my dislike of it is a bit longer lasting. Mostly because I remember watching it on my own and not really liking it, and then showing it to friends who also didn't like it and we all bonded more over how we didn't really like Sazer-X.

Nice post!!
I tried to watch this series last year, and I couldn't get through the 1st episode. But now I actually like this series and i'm up to 8 and I even think it's better than Justiriser.

You know, I gotta agree, this show is already more interesting than Justiriser was even back when I was watching it avidly week-to-week. Even with its flaws there's so much weird and original stuff that Sazer X is trying to do that it's still a fairly impressive show.

You know, maybe back when we initially passed on Sazer X we were all just kinda butthurt over Justiriser going all to hell about halfway through? I mean, Sazer X is really more the sort of show I wanted the Chou Seishin series to be even back when Gransazer was running.

私の占いは当たる
Got caught back up.

"I have been studying about Earth!" So cute.

Actually back this time
I got behind on the past few days. :( Gonna have to catch up tomorrow evening!

Re: Episode 14

Goddamn, it's been a while since I've seen a Toku show where the heroes have been allowed to just outright fail so completely as they did in this episode.

私の占いは当たる
Holy cow, I haven't been this angry at a villain since Kazari.

Mad Skillz
Re: Episode 14

Goddamn, it's been a while since I've seen a Toku show where the heroes have been allowed to just outright fail so completely as they did in this episode.
I loved this aspect of the show. They don't always end up winning and saving the day, and it's definitely got some of the higher body counts for a tokusatsu show. (if you count planets blown up and junk)

Nice post!!
Well, episode 13 sure was a clip show. Episode 14 was a lot more interesting...

[HIDE]- Guys, did you just forget that you met a new villain before the clip show? I don't think this is a great time to begin planning your peaceful post-retirement lifestyle.
- The revelation that the future hadn't changed would be a lot more dramatic if you hadn't told us that the future hadn't changed two episodes ago, Sazer-X.
- Yeahh, let's have the close combat guy fight the acid death monster. I'm sure this will end well.
- A scene showing us the interior of the robot besides the cockpit? I can't even remember the last time I saw something like this. How completely awesome.
- Haha, wow. Breaking into the hero's cockpit? That's pretty classy, Grouza. Demerits for not stabbing Remy anyway after Takuto had G2 release the Cosmo Capsules, though. It's not like he could've stopped you. "You can stop me or watch your ally die" is also a great dilemma to put in front of a hero.
- Takuto, why don't you jump Grouza and start beating the **** out of her after she lets Remy go? I mean... she let Remy go. She just has a weenie little knife. You are an armor-plated superhero with a big honkin' sword. You could probably take Grouza, is all I'm sayin'.
- Oh, I see, Takuto's not fighting back 'cause this is where the script says Sazer-X loses all the McGuffins so they can go find them again. Ordinarily this sort of thing really bothers me, but strong villain writing turns this sequence around. This is such a well-earned victory on Neo-Descal's part that I don't really mind the fetch quest counter getting set back to 0.[/HIDE]

I'm really digging the Neo-Descal. I like villains that don't screw around and get right to kicking the heroes in the junk. It gives the impression that they are actually doing everything they can to win.

What we usually get instead are villains who talk big, then spend the whole series dicking around and not taking advantage of countless opportunities to kill off or otherwise defeat the heroes.