Maskman really needs more love. I thought the first ep was one of the best introduction eps to not just sentai, but toku in general. :disappoin

SLICE
Kamen Rider V3 Episode 3: Very good episode, has some bits of odditity, such as the elaborate sports shop HQ, but over all, very tense, shows the competence of the villains, and the heroes being heroic. Also, dear Christ, they did not screw around back then. I swear V3's suit catching on fire wasn't supposed to happen, it just did because he had a FLAME THROWER TWO INCHES AWAY FROM HIM. Poor suit actor.

Maskman Episode 2. Oh hai rest of cast, you have names now, how nice. I don't care about any of you, even if one of you is a ninja. Also Takeru is psychic and remembers sappy days of his love. His poorly defined and oddly footfetishist love. And now, for a polar opposite of our largely replaceable band of heroes, we have the far more interesting villains, with Ruined Nobles and Barbaric Knights all around. Oh and Sire Evil Christmas Tree.

So the heroes get scolded by mentor floatum, then they fight in a surprisingly diverse rocky sea side against....extras. Then the villains move out, and our he...our Cannon Fodder go off to stop them. Only to get repeatedly kicked around by attack planes, and the monster that the Red Ranger killed last episode, brought back and turned...30 feet tall, according to the perspective. Meanwhile the Ruined Nobel and our Hero fight it out.

During the fight, he shows why he's the actual main character and why the others are now and forever merely cannon fodder, lower on the totem pole then Tackle. Dude takes on the WomanPrince and her loyal footsoldier person, forcing them back after taking their best shots, which floored his team in the previous episode, before going to save the Cannon Fodder's ass in his jet.

Damn this really wasn't made to be a Sentai was it? I didn't think it'd be possible to make the other members of a sentai team feel like padding, but dear Christ, that's what they are. I mean, for the love of God, he flies in with the Turbo Ranger, blows the armada of space ships out of thesky, then saves their ass from the giant monster. I'm sorry, Cannon Fodder, but you're really not needed in this show. Go away please.

So it looks like the Cannon Fodder is going to lose the fight in the mech, but our Hero, Takeru, through sheer force of will and being the only competent once, forces the mech back on its feet and slays the monster. Then Sire Evil Christmas Tree brings his palace to Earth, defeating our hero and setting up a good cliffhanger.

Beyond the fact that the other Maskmen again come off as worthless and unneeded, this was a good enough episode. At least Takeru's sappy flashbacks concern the love of his life, bizarre and contrived as that was, and not his vaguely homoerotic bromance with his adopted brother.

Speaking of!

Kamen Rider Black Episode 3: This is a pretty solid episode, barring the fact that it feels misplaced. No mention is made of Nobihkou, beyond a vague reference, and it feels like it should occur later. The Silk Worm Monster isn't the best thing in the world, but it's a competent enough design that gave us a nice bridge fight, and the three way brawl between Black, the villains, and gravity was pretty awesome. This episode felt like a Spider-Man story, in a good way.