S

scikaiju

“You mean that's all it is?”, a disappointed sounding Nadia asked once she showed them how to do the metal spike. Actually Shae looked a little disappointed as well that it was apparently so simple. Granted she remembered being slightly confused, alright very disappointed, as well when Vincent first showed it to her all those years ago. There was something exciting about something being more complex than it was. Looks like that hasn't changed over the years, at least with these two

Bringing her brush to the paper she channeled some of her magic through it and swiped it across the slip as the bristles glowed. Both of them watch the paper fly out of her hand, transform into a metal spike and implant itself into the target. “Afraid so,” Jules said, a bit amused the the girls were still gawking at the spike. After making the spike disappear she added, “Not everything is all hand waving and motions. Sometimes it's as simple as a single piece of paper. Like that sleeping spell a lot of us learn in the more advanced sessions.”

“Is that what happened to that guard?”, Shae asked as Jules handed her a couple of slip of the gray paper she used to make the spikes.

“Maybe?”, Jules answered while handing some to Nadia as well. “But considering it wasn't on him when they discovered him, nor did he mention somebody slapping one on his forehead so it's doubtful that's how it happened.” Grabbing one for herself she took a moment to check her supply of that particular paper. “Gotta remember to make more of these later. That's were the real work is for this particular spell. I'd be willing to show you if you're still interested.” Nadia just shrugged while Shae looked on eagerly. “I can do a bit more than aim and shoot them off. I can control their direction a little too.” To demonstrate she faced the other direction and fired off a spike but kept her brush aimed at it this time making it pause in the air. “Could the two of you take a couple of sreps back?” When they did Jules quickly aimed the brush at the target. The spike quickly reversed direction and flew past them as it hit near the bottom of the target. “I'm not entirely that accurate doing it this way. I can hit the side of the building with no problem.” She caught the question in Shae's face before she even asked it. “Long story,” was all she told her. “Now you guys give it a try.”

After a brief explanation of the basics Jules stepped back and let them try it. Much like when she did the first time she tried it took them a couple of times to get it. But almost at the same time both of them fired off a spike that hit the target. Shae jumped a little after she finally got it. Nadia was a bit more subdued in her reaction but it was obvious that she was pleased that she got it to work as well. “There you go,” Jules told both of them as she stepped up behind them. “While you got me here is there anything else you want to know?”

Jules tried to mot get that suspicious as the girls looked at each other. Nadia was urging Shae on,” Go on ask her.” Shae being hesitant worried her slightly.

“What is it Shae?”, Jules asked her. When she started to look away again Jules put a hand on her shoulder. “I said you can ask me anything, and you took advantage of that earlier. So don't start being afraid of asking me now.”

Shae looked at her and surprised her again by asking, “Is there really a black market for Makai items?” Where was she getting these questions? Well based on Nadia urging her on there was a good chance it originated with her. And they were both looking at her waiting for an answer

Blowing out a breath Jules remembered she also told her she'd be as honest as possible. Why did she ever tell her that? Oh yeah to help build up the level of trust between the two of them. Olivia was probably going to give here another earful if she ever found this out. “I'm afraid so. Honestly that was one of my first thoughts that crossed my mind when I found out things were stolen.”

“I told you,” Nadia said. Okay that's exactly where that question came from.

Shae still didn't looked convinced, “Do they even know what the items are?”

“Most of the time, no they don't. At least that's what some of the buyer or sellers said the times I was assigned to track one down or break one up.”

“My folks,” Nadia spoke up, “said it's stuff stolen from the Order.”

“Sometimes that's the case,” Jules said with a nod, “sometimes it somebody who not part of the Order any more, either they left or got kicked out. Occasionally it the children or grandchildren of those who left for whatever reason and decide to get ride of the 'junk' their inherited without knowing exactly what they had. Sometime they just stumble across an old temple and think the things inside are interesting and valuable. And as hard as we try to keep it from happening information about us does gets out occasionally so people go looking for evidence we exist. There's are a lot of reasons why it happens.”

“How is that even possible?”, Shae asked. “I mean they're not supposed to know we exist at all, we do everything possible to make sure that doesn't happens.”

“Because at the end of the day we're still human,” Jules told her, “and humans makes mistakes, we're no different. Look guys, I've met Priests who forget that, even start thinking that we're above the regular humans. But we're not.” Looking both in the eyes she said, “If either of you take anything away from what I'm trying to tell you, let it be that at least.” Both of them looked thoughtful as they thought that over. Hopefully that was a good sign.

Given the moment Jules looked around, started seeing more and more activity from the kids staying here. Trying to remember how things around here was done when she was here learning Jules figured it was time for one of the training sessions. Looking at Nadia she told her, “I think I've kept you for too long. You better get back to your group before you get in trouble.” Nadia started to say something, Jules knew what she was going to say just by the look on her face. “No arguing,” she said sternly. Okay where in the hell did that voice come from? “I don't need any of the instructors around here getting on my case for taking their students.”

“Fine,” she said with a huff as she started to get up. Oh yeah, this one was reminding her of somebody all right. And she could almost feel Vincent's amusement over the situation if he was still here. Looking over at Shae she went, “If I see that Knight trainee you like should I tell him you said hi?” Shae started blushing immediately.

Naturally as the responsible adult she shouldn't add to the young girl's embarrassment. But Jules couldn't help herself in this situation. “You know who she likes? We're talking later.”

“No,” Shae quickly got out before she realized what was happening.

“You're lucky I'm not here all the time because you are way too easy to tease,” Jules informed her.

“Told you,” Nadia said to Shae before she started to leave.

Looking around at the other kids Jules grabbed her shoulder real fast, getting her attention. “If anybody give you any trouble about sticking up for Shae earlier, let me know.”

Nadia just grinned, “Sure thing. Behave yourself Shae.”

After she left Shae stepped up to Jules. After a bit she said, “I think she meant you.” Looking at her Jules saw the smile she tried to hide from her. Was she really that much of a bad influence?

“Hey,” she said with a slight shove. “I don't think Olivia or the others are going to be that happy at all that I brought out this side of you. Come on, I hate to do this to you again but I'm going to have to leave you with Olivia for a bit. Don't worry,” she said to quickly cut off the upcoming out burst, “I'm going to give you some busy work to do while I'm out so you don't get too bored.”

Shae looked a little wary, “Doing what exactly?” Yeah, that was an opening. When was this girl going to learn?

“Translating some old scrolls, doesn't that sound fun?” The look on her face said she thought it was the exact opposite of fun. Good, because Jules wasn't sure what she was going to do if she looked excited about the idea, outside of finding some old scrolls that is. Putting an arm around her shoulder as they headed off Jules told her, “No I'm not, but it's something almost as tedious. I'm going to show you how to make the seal to make those spikes. Don't worry I won't leave until I'm sure you understand it fully. And I'm going to want, let me see what sounds like a good number, at least five done by the time I get back.”

Looking up at her Shae asked, “What are you going to be doing?”

“I'm going back to that spot we found,” Jules told her as she looked in that general direction. “After I get some back up that is. And not you, if I knew that place had booby traps I wouldn't have taken you there to begin with.” And she knew who that back up was going to be too. Hopefully Olivia knew where Emily was.

S

scikaiju

Fortuantely Emily was still in Olivia's office when they entered and luckily she was up to searching that area a bit more thoroughly. And Shae was obviously still disappointed that she was being left behind for this one she still paid attention while Jules showed her how to treat those slips of paper to make a metal spike. Reminding her of the minimum amount she wanted to see by the time they returned Jules and Emily headed off. Looking around seeing how her and Shae were being followed last she came this way caught Emily doing the same. “Feeling paranoid?”, she asked in a light tone.

“That and frustrated,” came a surprisingly candid if understandable reply. “My only job here is to protect the vault.” Both of them quieted when they passed some students. No need to add fuel to that particular fire. Although Jules did look back to see if the kids were looking back at them or gave any indication that they were talking about the “secret vault”. And she did halfway expect to see Walter still stalking around behind them somewhere. Or if they were extremely lucky more than a glimpse of the thief. After a few feet Emily started talking again, “I was actually insulted when I found out things were stolen from under our very noses. And the idea that one of my people could be responsible, it makes me sick to my stomach.”

“I've been a little afraid to ask Olivia this,” Jules began, “Just because I'm not sure what kind of answer I'm going to get. But who else knows about the vault and what it contains?” Quickly adding after they passed another group of students, “Not as a rumor that is.”

“Outside of you?”, Emily went. “To my knowledge, Just Olivia, myself and the other guards. And it's looking more and more like one of mine was responsible with every question you ask and everything you find out.”

“I'm amazed I'm trying to increase the suspect pool at this point,” Jules said in a joking manner. Still it might be better to get this out of the way now. “Did Olivia tell you that whomever did this was able to get past the seals on the containers in the vault?” Emily nodded. “I have to ask this but are any of the guards under you capsble of pulling that off? Maybe spent a little extra time researching something they wouldn't really talk about?”

“I've been racking my brain asking myself those same questions,” was her reply. “And nothing is coming to mind or sticking out as something strange. As far as who would be capable of pulling that off,” she let out a short, almost angry sounding laugh, “we all are. Being able to perform or create complex spells is a prerequisite to be a vault guard, Olivia practically insisted on it.”

“I'm sure she's rethinking that now,” Jules commented. Looking up she realized they were almost there and took one more look around to make sure they weren't being followed. She'd even take another glimpse of the thief right about now. Because that would mean that person was at least here and not back with the others causing more trouble, since Jules was still sure the thief was behind those kids going after Shae earlier. Speaking of that particular situation, “Since we're alone, did that kid say anything?”

“Just that a Makai Priest she'd never seen before talked her and the others into it. Outside that it was a male she couldn't really describe him, saying he kept a hood over his head.”

“They listened to a guy who wouldn't even show his face?”, Jules said in disbelief.

“I know,” she said sounding aggravated. “It seemed a bit far fetched to me too. Olivia's holding out on the hope that the guy used some sort of spell to confuse her and the rest in that group instead of the kid making somebody up to save her own skin.” It was likely that was what happened. It made more sense than them listening to somebody who wouldn't even show his face while talking to them. There were a few ways to disguise oneself that she could think of off the top of her head, and for one of them the the less your face was visible the better which would explain the hood. Just another reminder that they were dealing with somebody who knew what they were doing. Jules caught herself trying to recall if one of those ways could make a person think a female was a male then stopped herself. Just put that one on the back burner for now she told herself. We're still trying to shrink the suspect pool not grow it like she had been. She really had to stop that, it was just making her job harder in the long run.

“It's over there,” she said once she recognized the bush her and Shae had hid behind earlier. Going past it she lead Emily to the spot. They found it soon enough, and the trap she saw earlier was still there. “And there it is.” Emily stepped closer and knelt down to get a better look at. Something about her face as she looked at it gave Jules a slight chill. “I'm guessing you recognize it?”

“Unfortunately,” she grumbled with out rising up. Her gaze was transfixed on that seal for a long time, Jules just waited for her to say something, and stand guard at the same time. A habit she developed since teaming with Carter. There's been more than one time that they were surprised by the Horror they were hunting because both of them were focusing on the same clue one of them had discovered. And now would be the perfect time for the thief to come up behind them and catch them bu surprise. Eventually Emily stood up and told her. “That's one of the seal used on the forbidden vault. A fail safe in case anything or anyone tried to get in or out. All the vault guards know how to use it. There's no way you could have disarmed this, not without help from one of us.”

Only her pride made her feel a little insulted by that statement. Fortunately the more rational part of her mind made Jules realize that Emily knew more about this particular trap than she did, and concieded to her expertise on this one. A small part still thought she could do it though. “I get the feeling it's not a quick work around either.”

“No it is not,” Emily said as she backed away. “”The thief, after putting the vault items down there, had to leave himself a way in. We should look for that entrance.”

“That's if they're in there,” she said looking around. Glancing over at Emily Jules couldn't help but notice the look she was giving her. Granted it did seem like she was trying to make things more difficult than necessary. But in this case, she actually wasn't. “Blame it on all the Horror hunting I've done,” she told her. Adding, “You learn not to take things at face value.” She nodded, seemingly accepting her explanation, and they started exploring the area. “We should check around for where the other buildings were as well. That could be how he's getting in there.”

S

scikaiju

“Agreed,” Emily said with a nod. Both of them spread out and searched the area. Jules tried to recall were those buildings used to be as she kept an eye on the ground. It only made sense, if the Priest who used to run this training ground didn't fill in that one they wouldn't have filled in the others. “I found another one!”, Emily called out.

“Same here!” Jules shouted back. Like with the first site she found these boards haven't look like anybody had touched them recently either. Actually these boards looked to be in worse shape than the ones covering the first sight, and those looked pretty bad. On the upside it didn't look like this one was booby trapped in any way. Looking back over at Emily Jules saw that she moved on to another spot. “Was there a trap on that other one?”

“No,” she replied. “There isn't one on this one either. I'm almost afraid to touch either of them. They look like they'll disintegrate as soon as something does.”

“It's the same over here,” Jules said as she headed toward her. Then she caught a glimpse of another set of of boards, when she remembered something from that map, there were six buildings that used to be in this area. And they found where five of them were. Looking around she could easily see were the five they found used to be, based on how the ground was sunken in so where was that sixth one? The Earth around them looked relatively smooth. Jules blinked as it hit her. “You sneaky little devil,” she said to herself softly. “The thief's hiding it!” she called out to Emily. “Where the building used to be. He's hiding it like he did that opening to the tunnel to the vault.”

“You think that's how he's hiding the items he stole?”

“Well if he is hiding them in that other spot it could be like I said and it's how he's getting in.” Jules said as she visually searched the ground, a bit afraid to move in any direction she hadn't been yet because more than likely those boards weren't in any better shape than the other they found. At least she wasn't the only one being paranoid as Emily was staying where she was as well, although she was poking at the ground with the blunt end of her spear trying to find it. Jules knelt down and started drawing in the dirt with her finger, first getting where the ones they found were and trying to remember were that sixth building was. It had to be around here somewhere. “Stay where you are,” she told the guard.

“I wasn't exactly going to go for a stroll,” she shot back. Ignoring her for the moment Jules took out her Madou Brush, waving a hand over the bristles, making them glow. Then she slowly moved it in an arc just trying to see if she could sense anything that was out of place, magically speaking that is. Seeing what she was doing Emily drew her brush and started doing the same. Granted she never tried this with anything this big before, but in theory that should mean it was using more energy to conceal what it was hiding. In theory. After a bit Jules thought she detected something and kept her brush pointed at it. Emily seemed to be pointing her brush at the same general area as she was. Both took cautious steps toward that spot. As Jules got closer the more certain that she was that she was picking something up. So certain in fact she tried to circle around the spot, her brush kept pointing at the same general spot Emily was. Putting up her brush Emily started poking the ground again. Before long the spear went through the ground in a way Jules had seen before.

She broke out in a slight grin, “Bingo.” Getting on her knees by Emily she started patting the ground in front of her until her hand went through the illusion, there wasn't any boards that she could tell. Keeping it in there she pulled her hand back until she got a grip on the edge. Getting a grip with her other hand she leaned over until her head went through it. Still no boards but this one had a basement so she looked around as best as she could. Raising up she pointed at a particular corner, “There's a ladder over there.” Emily stuck her spear back into the illusion and used the edge as a guide to get to that corner. Feeling around a bit she found the ladder and made her way down. Jules hurried over before she vanished from view completely and followed her down.

“I wonder why the Thief decided to hide this one,” Emily commented as she looked around what was left of the underground room. So far it was a less than impressive discovery on their part. Jules looked up, this one didn't have any sign of those boards that she could tell, they might have decayed years ago. If they did than that was how the thief found this place. “It's not even the closest one to the other one you found I'm not even seeing a way to get there from here. Unless it's hidden by a illusion too.”

“That would be a bit paranoid,” Jules commented. But she waved a hand over the bristles of her brush again and started scanning the room by slowly turning in a circle, “But more than possible considering what we've seen so far.” She spun around twice before lowering her brush, “I'm detecting the illusion above us and that's about it.” So she started checking the walls, maybe there was a covered opening like the one she found in the vault chamber. There just had to be one, the thief was hiding this particular basement for some reason. Emily soon joined in and they carefully explored the room. Jules knew she wasn't going to get lucky with a stray breeze this time around so she paid extra close attention to the walls.

S

scikaiju

Emily was getting more frustrated by second. Blowing out a breath she looked above them. “You think the thief would notice if we canceled the illusion?”

Jules looked up at it. “More than likely. The thief doesn't know we found this yet. Let's not give up the one advantage we have so far.”

“As slim as it is,” Emily said as she continued looking. Jules said nothing but she had to agree it was a small one. But after finding that tunnel and now this it was better than nothing. After a bit more searching Emily said, “I might have found something.”

“Let me see,” Jules said as she headed over. Emily pointed out the area and she examined that section of wall. It took a bit but she found what the guard did, a seam in the wall. Again using her fingers she traced a rough outline of a door sized opening. “Well on the bright side I doubt the thief would have set a trap on this one.”

“It be easier if he did and he blew himself up by accident,” she commented. Glancing over at her as they tried to find a way to move this particular section Jules wondered how much was the frustration she was feeling was actually getting to her. Jules personally wanted to know who did this and if that seal was a powerful as she thought it was then there wouldn't be that much left to identify the thief by. “I don't want him dead,” she said suddenly. “But at least it would be over and things would almost be back to normal?”

“Almost back to normal?”, Jules asked, stepping back when Emily motioned for her to do so.

As she jammed the point of the spear into the gap she clarified, “More people know there's some sort of vault here now. That's going to cause problem eventually after you leave. With people trying to look for it. And we have an way in now that's practically out in the open.”

“For now,” Jules said as she joined in as they tried to leverage this section open. “I haven't discussed it with Olivia yet, but I have a explosive seal of my own that I can use to collapse that tunnel after this is all over. I'm just not sure she'd go for it.”

“If she doesn't I will,” Emily informed her as they finally got it opened enough for Jules to put her fingers in the gap and slide it to the side with a bit of effort. They were greeted by a dark tunnel. Emily looked around before concentrating on the tip end of her spear. Using her brush she made the tip catch on fire for a makeshift torch. Jules followed her, occasionally looking back to make sure they weren't caught by the thief. The tunnel took a sharp turn. “I'm pretty sure this way is to that other site,” Emily said before following the tunnel. Jules couldn't disagree as that was her first thought as well.

While it wasn't exactly a straight shot, there was a few extra turns to take. But essentially they were heading in the same direction. Before long Emily held up a hand to get them to stop and she extinguished the flame from her spear before they entered another basement that was a bit bigger than the first one they came into. And a bit more crowded as several boxes littered the room. In the light Jules heart dropped a little as some of them were open. A quick inspection revealed that most of the open ones were empty. “Damn it,” she muttered. She did a quick examination of the others and realized one of her biggest fears was just realized. “It's not here.”

“What's not here?”, Emily asked as she used her spear to pick up something off the ground. It looked like it could have been a hood, so it looked like at least part of the kid's story was at least true. Lucky for her.

“The Condemned,” Jules said. Emily didn't look as alarmed as she felt at that particular moment. She guessed the guards didn't have to know what they were guarding. Given how jumpy Hector was about something getting out, that was probably a good thing. Still she answered her unasked question. “Something that's given me nightmares ever since I was asked to help research it. More than likely the thief is moving things to another location when he can do what he originally planned.”

“Probably after you got involved,” Emily said as she cautiously looked around. “I'm not sure I want to know what most of this stuff is.” Jules pretty sure she had a similar look on her face when she first started researching some of these items, a bit of awe and fear at the same time. Although Jules did it reading through various books and scrolls Vincent was able to track down. Jules hoped there was a bit more fear in the guard seeing how they were looking at the items directly. As it was she could feel the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end as she recognized something here and there. Still Jules pulled a blue slip of paper out of her coat after she examined one box in particular. “A tracker?”, Emily asked.

“I'm betting on the thief getting a bit greedy,” she said as she waved her brush over it as to activate it. “Because more than likely this stuff is going to be sold off, and the more he has the bigger the pay day.” Placing the seal against one particular item in the crate before quickly removing her hand like she was afraid she was going to get bit. As she rubbed her hand, she didn't feel anything from the item it was just the idea she touched it, the seal faded from view. Reaching into another pocket she retrieved a small disk that she waved her brush over. The magical radar appeared and she smiled at the pulsating dot near her location. “And that one is just small enough to be carried without being that noticeable.”

Emily looked into the crate, “Neat trick.”

“Thanks,” she said. “I looked it up after I saw Vincent do it one time.” Jules closed her eyes as she recalled that moment. When Vincent put his hand on the back of Reks' neck after he placed the talisman that would eventually kill him,. “It's been useful on a couple of occasions so far. Hopefully the thief will come back for some more. If we don't catch him we can at least discover where he relocated some of the things that were stolen.”

“I'd settle for catching him,” Emily said as Jules walked around and picked another item and tagged it as well, at least it was better than wanting him dead. Doing it a third time just to increase their odds if nothing else. Then she did it to one of the crates just to be sure. “We better go,” she said after that one. “Since it look likes it's one of mine who's behind this and I want to pound him into the ground personally. Doing it in here doesn't seem to be the best idea.”

Jules caught a look of another thing she was asked to help research and backed away a bit saying, “That's literally the best idea I've heard so far today. Let's get back to Olivia and tell her what we found.” Like they went in Emily lead the way after turning her spear into a torch again. Before entering the tunnel Jules stopped and looked back at the items that were still here. Hoping that leaving these items here wasn't going to be the mistake that a sudden fear made her think that it would be. Trying to quell that thought with the fact the thief just left them laying around here and nothing happened so far. It wasn't helping much as she followed Emily back to the other basement.

S

scikaiju

She didn't know how long investigating that spot was suppose to take but they had to be back by now, or at least that was what Shae was thinking as she sat there by herself. It might not had been so bad if she was outside. At least that way she could have least gotten a better sense at how long it had been. Or had somebody to talk to to help pass the time. Bur every one was sure the person who stole the things from the vault was the one behind the incident earlier. At least that was what Olivia had told her earlier, and that it was better for her to stay in here for the time being. It made sense, and there was a chance nobody would have been around to stop it from happening. Didn't mean it wasn't still boring though. Sighing as she took another slip of grey paper she marked it like Jules showed her then held it out as she ran the glowing bristles over her brush, a concession Olivia allowed seeing how both she and Jules were positive the thief was still out there, over it to finish the incantation. The markings glowed slightly before returning to normal, another one done and added to the small pile next to her.

She looked up as the door opened, and she brightened considerably as Jules and that guard came in. She couldn't help herself as she jumped out of the chair and went to her. “Are you all right?”, she asked. “Did you find anything?”

“Yes on both counts,” Jules told her. Then she looked over to see the pile she created while the two of them were gone. Shae almost expected her to whistle at the sight. She almost did, or at least it looked like she was going to start to. Shae looked back, it didn't look like that much to her. Eventually Jules said, “That's a bit more than five.” Then she walked around her and picked it up, “I've seen how you keep your side of your room and all but this is the neatest messy pile I've ever seen.”

That what was amazing her? How neat it was? Not how many she's done? Granted once she got the gist of how to do it, it was a fairly simple spell to preform. But that was a lot she had gotten done in the time they was gone, at least as far as Shae was concerned. Wait she had to be messing with her again, she just had to be.So Shae watched her as she flipped through the pile, it had to be coming any second now. But it wasn't she soon realized, she was actually amazed at how she arranged them. Feeling a bit disappointed she said, “I was bored.”

“That much was obvious,” the guard told her with a bit of a smirk.

“Looking good so far,” Jules muttered as she continued to flip through them. Then she fanned them out slightly and held them out to the guard, “Emily, do me a favor and pick one out for me.” Without even questioning the request she pulled one out at random and held it out for her as she rearranged the pile back to where Shae had it. “Thank you, that's the one we're going to test out.”

“Test out?”, Shae asked as Jules kept examining the paper.

“I'm not going to show you how to do something and not see if it'll work,” Jules told her. “I'm not even an instructor and I know that's now how things are done. And we will right after Emily and I talk with Olivia.”

“I can fill in Olivia on what we found,” Emily told her after glancing at her. “All the guards use a practice range in the back of the building. The two of you can test it out there.”

Looking her over Jules nodded slightly, “Yeah, she does look like she wants to see if this will work. Thanks Emily, tell Olivia I'll be in once I see if this works properly.” The guard quickly gave her directions to that particular range and how to get in. Jules nodded once she got it, “Thanks Emily, come on Shae.”

Still a little depressed she wasn't excited at how much she did Shae went, “All right.” They walked the corridors in relative silence. She looked at the floor while Jules kept looking at the paper when she wasn't making sure they were going the right way.

“I'm sure it's going to work,” she said suddenly. “This is just a formality, I went through the same thing when I was younger.” Adding, “That's why you're so quiet right, that I'm testing it out.” She didn't answer right away so Jules stopped and looked at her, “Shae what bothering you if that's not it?”

“I just thought you'd be impressed with how many I got done,” she told her.

“Is that it?”, Jules asked her. Wasn't that enough? “Shae I figured you were going to do more than what I asked you to do, why do you think I made that number so low? I didn't want you to drain yourself too much trying to get too much done. Granted,” she said as she flipped through them again, “I didn't think it was going to be this much more, so good job there.” Shae beamed a little but still kept her head down. She was proud of what she'd done. “Ah here we are.”

Shae looked up to see that the practice range was still inside the building. It had all the same targets and dummies they had in the other ranges plus a couple she didn't recognize. Jules caught her staring at one of the signs on the wall. It was in the makai language and she was able to make out most of it before Jules blocked her view of it. “What was that about memory manipulation?”

“That's a more advanced class,” Jules told her as she guided her to the targets. Adding, “It's nothing you have to worry about now, all Makai Priest have to know how to do it, just in case somebody who's not suppose to know about us does.” Shae nodded, remembering her aunt saying something about it with her parents a couple of years ago. “Now let's see how you did.” Taking her brush Jules quickly swiped it across the slip. Shae was excited that it transformed into a metal spike in mid flight and impale itself into the target. She looked at Jules who looked impressed as she nodded than walked toward the target, Shae followed her. Once she was close she gave it a quick flick with her fingers and again looked satisfied with the metallic ping she got. “That's some excellent quality right here, good job Shae.”

“Thank you,” she said with some pride. “I didn't think something that came from paper was going to be that strong. I mean would it burn up it went through fire?”

“No,” she said as she flicked it again, “This is as solid as it gets. Granted I've never shot it through fire before.” She trailed off as it looked like something occurred to her. “No way the problem is that simple.” Then she remembered Shae was still there. “Just something I was trying to figure out the past few days,” she said as she put an arm around her shoulders and walked them toward the door.

“What problem?” she asked her.

“I was trying to mix the spike with another spell I use. I was so focused on making it work I never considered if it could work, or how I was going to use it. Oh that reminds me,” she turned back to the spike and did something with her brush to make it disappear. Offering her a bit of a grin Jules told her, “That's going to be lesson two.” Going back to the slips she worked on Shae watched her count out four. “Okay these plus the one I tested are the five I asked for.” Then she surprised her by handing her the rest of them to her, “Here you go.”

“Are you serious?”, Shae asked as she took them and a few extra slips of unprepared paper.

“And I'm not going to show you something and not expect you to practice it. Either. I'll tell you how to get the slips on your own. Just one thing,” Shae got depressed again as she sighed and handed back her brush. “Well there's that but that wasn't what I was going to say,” she added as she held up a finger, “don't practice your aim toward or in your house. The last thing I need is your parents tracking me down because you kept making holes in the walls.” Shae quickly nodded her agreement as they left the practice range.

S

scikaiju

There had to be a way to turn this into an advantage some how. Emily and that woman had headed back to the area she had taken the girl earlier. There was no way she was going to be as cautious now that she left the brat with Olivia. And Emily was going to recognize the trap as soon as she saw it. Olivia would have recognize it as well since she taught it to all of them, it was a calculated risk but a necessary one considering what was hidden under it. Anything that disturbed those boards and it would have went off as soon as the vibration hit the seal. So the big question was would Emily try to disarm it or would they try to found the other way to get in there?

Either one would take time so there was plenty of it to cause a little confusion to distract the rest of them when they got back. And the target was right there by himself, perfect. Leaning against a tree with his arms crossed while he looked at the ground everyone was giving him a wide berth at the moment, well wider than they usually did. At the moment he looked like the loneliest guy in the world. Granted he looked like that the first time he showed up, and it soon became apparent why the moment he opened his mouth. But right now he looked like that more than ever. Again it was a calculated risk because someone could easily spot them talking. Considering how hard headed he was even he wouldn't fall for the disguise trick he pulled on those kids earlier. Besides that would mean going back for the hood, and that was back with the items stashed away. And there was no way Emily and that woman wasn't going to spot any one trying to sneak by them in that area. So calculated risk it was, after making sure none of the regular guards were keeping an eye on him after earlier, Okay make with a cheery yet concerned voice, “Walter.”

Surprised that anyone was calling out his name he looked up and gave a half hearted smile as he waved, “Careful, you don't want to be labeled a pariah being seen talking to me.”

If anything would have done it, this would be it. If they could prove who stole those things being labeled a pariah would have been an upgrade. “That's the least of my worries. But why so down, I heard you lost that student of yours but I thought that would have made you happy. Now you don't have to worry about her dragging you down any more. Now you can get a proper student to teach.”

“I doubt it,” he said darkly. “I overheard the others talking. They're going to make sure I don't get a chance to,” he held up both hands and did the qoute mark thing, “'corrupt' anyone else.” He looked so disgusted by the idea that one could alnost sympathize with the idiot, almost, after a hard night of drinking. “They're probably celebrating that guilty ***** started undoing all the work I put in on the brat they gave me.”

“Nobody celebrating,” But they should be, “Just because you think a little differently than everyone else doesn't mean you're wrong.” In this case it did but best not to say that thought out loud especially when trying to get his ire pointed in the right direction. It shouldn't take much most of it was already aimed at that woman to begin with. He didn't need to go over the edge completely, just enough to get her and everybody's attention. “They forget that at times.”

“Tell me about it,” he grumbled. Oh this one seemed ripe to be taken over by a Horror at some point. He'd probably walk right into too. Is that why Olivia kept him around?

“A lot of them have that superiority complex to any one not originslly part of the order. They're particularly nasty when you don't immediately confirm to they're way of thinking right away. I've seen it, I'm a second generation Makai Priest in my family. My parents were like you, they came into the Order late in life. Dad always complained they ruined Mom for as long as I can remember, making her more independent than she needed to be,” and there was the look of recognition that bold face lie was supposed to get. Walter was looking this way with a new look of respect, It took everything not to throw up right then and there. “So I get you man.”

“Finally somebody around here does,” he said. “When did the Order lose sight of the way things were meant to be.”

“I don't know, as far as I know the Order always been like this. It didn't even change after the witch trails in the northeast centuries ago.”

“They should have learned then.” This idiot was too easy to manipulate. Every one in the Order learned about the trails that hit them in this country, that a Makai Priest was caught using her abilities defending the same village that hanged her as a witch from a Horror. The Order did what they could to contain the damage of course. History still recorded the witch trails but their involvement was carefully removed after it happened. Still those poor woman who lost their lives because of a bunch of backwater superstitious nonsense. “You can't trust a woman to do the right thing,” Walter went on.

Or act like you expected her to in some cases, today was perfect proof of that. “Oh I know, but those ideas are quickly shot down, mostly by the women around here.”

“Oh I noticed,” Walter practically snarled. “And it starts at the top around here.” Okay that was a tad surprising considering Olivia gave him more leeway than she did anybody else around here. There had to be a way to use that to the proper advantage.

And this might be the right way. “Well the others are pretty set in they're ways.” Walter looked interested in where this was going, now to get him to take the bait. “They're not going to change no matter how hard you try to show them they're wrong.” Almost like it was planned a group of young children ran by not noticing them, “You need to make them understand when they're young. Before they twist their little minds to think like them.”

“They'll be keeping an eye on them,” Walter said, the idea firmly planted in his head now. “Make sure I don't get any time alone with them to show them the way things should be. Especially after that ***** got Shae away from me.”

“Nobody said revolutions were easy,” he nodded in agreement. Oh there were going to be several showers in the immediate future once this meeting was over. “And they got to start somewhere.”

“Right,” Walter gave a quick pat on the shoulder. Forget that initial shower it was straight into the lake to get the filth from the physical contact off, maybe burn this tunic at the first possible opportunity. “Nice to know I have one friend around here,” and he walked off.

Walter was out of sight in moments and it couldn't happen fast enough. “I just feel disgusted with myself right now,” but it was a necessary evil. That moron grabs they're attention then the easier it'll be to get away and get the stuff out of here to the buyer who should be at that spot in a few hours. Then it was all a matter of counting the money after the exchange was made.

S

scikaiju

“I'm very impressed with how far you've come Shae,” Olivia had said. Not that Jules didn't notice the little side look she gave her after she found out exactly what she taught her and Nadia. But it was no worse than what Olivia showed her earlier, at least in Jules' opinion.”I do think I should mention what Jules said about practicing toward or in the house applies to what I showed you as well.”

“Of course ma'am,” Shae said with a nod. Shae wasn't her student, at least not officially, so Jules probably shouldn't be feeling as prood of her as she was. But she couldn't help it. Olivia was right, considering how she was when she first met her Shae had come a long way. She was going to have to remember to ask the other instructors around here to see if this was what she was like before Walter got his mits on her. A thought for later if there was time.

Right now there was a more pressing matter. “I don't want to do this to you kiddo,” she began.

She seemed to understand as she said, “Go in the other room while you talk with Olivia.”

“I'll try not to be long,” Jules told her. “But call me if anybody tries anything.”

“Oh Shae,” Olivia called out, “before I forget again. I found this scroll that I had forgotten about.” Going over to an old wooden bookcase she looked at a couple before finding the right one, “Here it is.” Walking over to the girl she handed it out to her. “It's about string magic,” and Shae perked up immediately at hearing that. Olivia just smiled as Shae took it,” I believe I heard you developed a interest in it. This might be helpful in your studies on that particular subject.”

“Thank you,” she said gratefully as she exited the room.

Jules watched her take a seat and start reading that scroll before she made sure nobody else was in the room or coming in before she closed the door to give the two of them a little more privacy. Then she looked at Olivia with a slight smirk, “You just happened to have a scroll in here about that?”

“I did,” Olivia said sounding offended that she would think otherwise. “I originally had it brought to me when a former student you're very familiar with took an interest in it. I've always tried to encourage a student's curiosity when they discover something that's not that common any more. And I was reorganizing things in here a few weeks ago when I found it again.” She started shaking her head slightly, “Walter mentioned Shae was wasting her time after finding some notes. Obviously he never saw any value in it so I kept looking for the right time to give it to her when he wasn't around.” Once again Jules wondered why it took so long for her to see why that pairing was a bad idea. But she kept herself from saying that thought out loud. Olivia explained why she put them together originally, and held stead fast to that idea despite the apparent protest from the others. Well the important thing was she saw the error now while the damage could be undone.

Now onto the other unpleasant business they had to discuss. “Emily told you everything?”

Losing a bit of that smile she had Olivia went, “She did. Part of me was still hoping that it wasn't one of the vault guards.” She went back to her desk, “But like Emily said it's looking more and more like one of them did it.” Leaning on that desk she softly added, “At least I don't have to keep the rest of those under me at arms length now, so there's that. Just the ones I had to trust the most.”

“Small victories Olivia,” she said. “Hold on to them before looking for the big one.”

Smiling sadly again she said, “Once again Vincent told me something similar once.” And once again Jules figured she was right because that did sound like something he would have come out with. Unfortunately that made her wonder what he would have considered a small victory when he was trying to expose everything.

“I don't mean to bring up any unpleasant thoughts dear,” Olivia said reading her. It only annoyed her because on how on the mark she was at that moment.

“It's fine,” she ended up saying, trying to make herself believe it at same time. Forcing herself to get on the task at hand she said, “Stuff did look like it had been moved though. Even though I marked a few items there's no guarantee the thief will go back for more. We should check the general area around there more closely. My gut feeling is that these items were taken to be sold off.”

“Emily mentioned something about that,” Olivia told her. Shaking her head again she went, “Sometimes you forget we still have the base needs like those not in the Order, and the same weaknesses. You can really forget that when you's picked to help guide the future.All those fresh, hopeful faces, you can get lost in it if you're not careful. It's why I always looked to a Priest who dealt with the reality of the situation on a regular basis when choosing a new instructor. Not to frighten the students, but to give them a idea of what they'll be dealing with once they leave here.” Getting herself out of this particular funk she walked over to that map they used earlier, “So were do you think we should concentrate our search? I'm going to ask the border guards to handle this, hopefully, at least Emily will understand my decision in this matter.”

S

scikaiju

I'm sure they all will,” Jules told her, “especially after we catch the thief.” Then she studied the map. She should have asked if her and Emily could have taken this with them earlier. They could have found that sixth spot a bit sooner. Pointing to a section near that spot Jules said, “I'd start around here. There's a smaller chance of being caught moving them since I doubt the thief's dumb enough to walk out the front gates with the items.”

“Or that bold,” Olivia added. “It's not widely known yet but I instructed the guards at the gate to search any one leaving the training grounds.” Jules nodded as she studied the map a bit more, trying to think like the thief. Would he expect them to look around there and avoid the area entirely?.

Then a thought hit her. “Olivia,” she began, “those surveys Marcus found, did they indicate any other tunnels under the training ground? I'm just trying to figure out all the bases before I can say they're covered.”

“I had that same thought after the two of you left the first time with Shae,” she answered. “I went over what I had here looking for any records.” She went back to that bookcase and started searching it's contents again. No, she was moving things before pressing various spots on the wall. She soon found it as a panel fell open and pulled out an old scroll, “This goes back to when the vault was first built, I sent word to the Senate record keepers since that is were it would be kept, it arrived a half hour ago.”

“Anything dealing with a forbidden vault gets top priority I guess,” Jules commented with a slight smirk while Olivia carefully unrolled the scroll.

“I'd be surprised if it wasn't,” she told her with a snort. “There's a report of some sort of large cavern under the vault itself. There was some concern at the time of how structurally sound it would be. It doesn't say how they found it though. But if they found a way to it once.”

“Somebody could find a way to it again,” Jules finished for her. “Would there be any word of this cavern be in the archives here?”

“I already checked them,” she said as she rolled them up just as carefully as she undid it before placing it back in it's hiding spot. “And there's none that I can find. I still have the archivist looking though since they have the time and privacy.”

“I hope you told them it had top priority,” Jules said as she tried to add this particular piece to this puzzle.How would an underground cavern fit in this situation? If it fit at all? This was why she hated putting puzzles together without know what the picture was first.

Then Olivia went, “Oh I'm fool.” Jules looked at her wondering were that came from. “I'm a old fool. There's series of tunnels under the training grounds. They were built around at the same time as the grounds were built.” She went to a different bookcase as she kept talking, “Before all the protective talismans and seals were put in place. They were supposed to be used to get the students out of here in case a Horror attacked or the woods around us caught on fire or any number of disasters. We rarely use them for anything so I rarely remember them.”

“Do they lead outside?”, Jules asked. Now this was the puzzle piece she was looking for.

Olivia found what she was looking for and unrolled another map and showed it to her. “Yes they do. At a couple of locations. And before you ask all the guards know about them as part of their training since they would be taking the lead in case we did have to evacuate. If only I remembered these sooner.”

“You had a lot on your mind Olivia,” Jules told her. Looking back and forth between this new document and the old map on the wall she tried to think. Okay there this huge section around this building that was void of these tunnels. It was probably when this particular vault was rediscovered, so don't concentrate there she told herself. Instead she looked at where the old buildings were on the map on the wall. “Okay if those buildings were here,” she said to herself, “and the closest opening is...,” It was in the other direction than her initial guess. “Have them start around here,” she told Olivia. “It's still far away enough from the training grounds that the thief shouldn't have worried about being spotted by anybody else.”

“I'll do it right away,” she said. Without warning one of the guards burst in the room. Jules looked past her to make sure Shae was all right. She was fine but looked as confused as the two of them about what was going on. Olivia went to her once the shock wore off, “What is it Samantha?”

“Walter forced his way to some of the younger kids,” she said between breaths, “He keeps talking about showing them how things are supposed to be. He knocked out Caleb and Antony before anybody could stop him. The other guards are with him to make sure nothing happens to the kids so I came here to report it.”

“My god,” Olivia said as she held on to the desk for support.

“He had to hadve been put up to it Olivia,” Jules quickly said. It had to be the thief, it just had to be, trying to distract them by getting Walter to go this route. For Olivia's sake Jules hoped he was put up to it. Otherwise than he went over the deep end on his own. “I'll handle this,” she told her. To the guard she said, “Show me where they are.” She ran out of the building, vaguely aware Shae was following them. There was no time to argue the point, the faster this was dealt with the sooner she could get back to the finding the thief.

S

scikaiju

“Damn it they moved,” the guard, Samantha, exclaimed when the spot came into view. Jules was almost irritated enough at the moment to almost snap at her that much was obvious. But she held her tongue, it wasn't her that was making her frustrated at that particular moment, it was this entire situation. At least Shae was smart enough to stand a few feet back to stay out of the way. Jules looked around trying to see where they went. If the guards had defused the situation word would have been sent word to Olivia by now and chances where they would have crossed path with the messenger by now. At least come across them bringing Walter to Olivia's office. Neither of those two happened. Since the latter didn't happen, there was a small possibility that a messenger took a different route to get to Olivia's but Walter being dragged away quietly, that wasn't going to happen.

The three of them looked around until all three of them spotted a crowd not that far off,” Over there,” Jules said as she ran toward that particular group, the rest following her. The closer they got the clearer it was that something was going on.

“Just let them go,” she heard somebody said.

Then they heard Walter, “I'm not going to hurt them. They just have to know how things really are before you fill their heads with that fantasy you tried to shove down my throat for years.” Jules, Samantha and Shae made their way through the crowd, Walter spotted her first and started frowning almost immediately. Then he spotted Shae before she could get behind her. “And there's the perfect example right there. I had her almost looking like a proper lady, now look at her,” he sneered. “Now look at her, dressed like a man. It's sickening.” Oh yeah it was possible he was close to snapping all right.

“I've been in what you call the real world,” Jules said stepping forward to draw his attention more. “Or did you forget about that? Or care at all? I'm not saying there are men out there who don't think like you, I've run across them plenty of times in my life.” She had to be careful here, he was close to the edge right now, more so than she originally thought, and he had his brush in his hand. But most of her attention was to the kids behind him. They looked unharmed but obviously scared. And Walter seemed to know when one was about to make a run for it as he kept turning to the group to keep them in place. She almost wished one would as it would grab Walter's attention long enough for them to grab and restrain him. But that wasn't happening. So her best play was to force him to pay attention to her. Now the tricky part, “But they were a very small minority of the regular humans I come across.”

“Don't listen to her lies!,” Walter yelled at the children.

“It's not a lie,” she shot back. “I hunt Horrors, I deal with people pretty much daily. I've seen their worst and their very best. And that attitude,” she pointed right at him,” is dying out. It had been for a long time. I feel sorry for you in a way, I really do. Your father was so behind the times and set in his ways that he passed those feelings onto you not realizing he was making you as screwed up as he was.”

“My father was a good man!” he exploded. Oh this was danger territory right here, depending on what he knew. “ He should have been sainted for dealing with my so called Mother. My Mother was weak that's why she died first. If she was stronger, like the two of us, than she would have survived.”

“Your father was a bully who unfortunately had power behind him, and was the only one who was killed in that situation,” she shot back. “And you probably joined in making her life miserable.” She made a hand motion behind her back to Shae, hoping she'd get the idea to keep back, because here it comes, “To the point a Horror possessed her.”

His face went slack, like he was in shock. Did he not know, after all this time? Glancing around Jules saw a few of the other look like they were trying to sneak around him. Keep his attention on you she told herself. “No,” he said shaking his head. “That's not what happened. Even if it was it just proves my point, if she a man she would been strong enough to resist...”

“That's now how it works,” she snapped at him just to shut him up for the moment. “Everyone here knows how it works,” she almost gave into the temptation to hold her arms out wide to gesture to everybody around them. But that would have made him notice those trying to sneak around him so she didn't. “It's been documented for centuries. I deal with it almost nightly. Horrors tempt those humans when they're at their lowest, it doesn't matter if they're a man or a woman. And they give in, because they want something better or the power to pay back those who wronged or tormented them.”

“Shut up!”, he yelled. Nope didn't look like he was aware of Olivia's findings on that particular matter. That was a miscalculation on her part. “My father showed me the right way. How to handle women like you who don't know their place.”

S

scikaiju

Stepping closer to keep his attention she said, “Then do it.” Walter and the rest of them seemed shocked at her challenge. The other were close enough to start grabbing the children at any moment. Keep him focused in this direction. “Try and put me in my place, if you think you're man enough.”

“I'll beat the truth about your role in your mentor's plan out of you too,” he growled. Jules was already set for his charge. It was wild and reckless, like she expected. It almost made him more dangerous, unpredictable, throwing hay maker after ha ymaker at her so fast she couldn't do anything but dodge his blows at the moment. Luckily he seemed to forget about the Brush in his hands he was so enraged. And she made him chase her a little since the others were starting to get the kids to safety as others joined in with the rescue while he was distracted. Seeing the last child was taken away to safety Jules ran in and slid on the ground around him after that last punch attempt. She got up spinning around and lashing out with a foot that caught him flush in the side of the head. She just happen to catch sight of Shae and it looked like she wanted to jump in. Jules shook her head one before returning her full attention to Walter, while a bit staggered didn't exactly go down from the blow.

Smacking the side of his head a couple of times he said, “Is that all you got *****? Keep proving my point for me!”

“Just when I was starting to feel sorry for you,” she muttered, not caring if Walter heard her or not at that particular moment. Now she went at him throwing every combination that came to mind., from every angle possible. Walter took most of the initial assault, head rocking back several times, before he pushed her away.

“Fight me like a man!”, he bellowed. “Not any of that foo foo **** they teach the kids around here, making them soft like women.” Then his head rocked back again after a straight right from her. Okay that one felt better than it probably should have all things considered.

“That was like a man,” she taunted him. “Looks like you still can't handle it.” Then he tackled her to the ground out of the blue. Pinning her there as he raised a punch at her unprotected face. Jules stared at him the entire time, keeping eye contact. Letting him know she wasn't afraid of him in any way shape or form. He was smiling down at her up until he notice the look she was giving him. Enough to make him waver a bit. And enough that that she got her arms up and hit him in the throat. He started to choke a bit as he grasped at his neck. Jules pushed him off and came up swinging again. This time knocking him down with a hay maker of her own. This time he didn't try to get back up. Not even breathing all that hard she looked at Samantha and some of the other who converged on Walter in the next second. His arms held back by Samantha's staff they hauled him to his feet and tore the brush from his hand.

“Jules,” Shae said as she finally got closer, “Are you okay?”

“I'm fine kiddo,” she said as she stood up. “Are the kids all right?” She looked around and saw most of them were still around, they looked shaken but otherwise fine. That was her main concern, now she could breath a little either. “I'm absolutely fine.”

“You had to take a cheap shot!”, Walter coughed out. “You took a cheap shot because you knew you couldn't beat me in a fair fight.” This from the man head was being used as a punching bag a few moments ago. He was never going to learn was he?

“Oh would you shut up you big moron!” Jules blinked a few times as Walter's jaw dropped as they both realized that just came out of Shae. Sweet, shy, quiet Shae. She suddenly look unsure of herself once she realized the attention she was currently receiving.

“Did you all hear what she just said?”, Walter demanded as he struggled against them..

“I sure did,” Jules said with a stern hint in her voice. Shae cringed back a little, probably expecting to get a talking to. Instead of that Jules looked at her then gave her a small clap of approval. Walter started yelling again as they dragged him away. Yeah he was never going to be taken away quietly. Going up to Shae she told her, “You're finally showing a bit of backbone. But I am telling you right now if I ever find out that you lost it, even just a bit, I will be back to kick your butt from one end of this compound to the other and back again. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes Jules,” she said, but couldn't help from smiling at the same time.

Putting a arm around her shoulders one more time she said, “Well I better get this tongue lashing from Olivia over with. I did a few things just now she's not going to be happy with. New lesson Shae, It's better to admit it when you mess up and face the consequences. Because it'll be worse for you in the long run if you don't. And I'm not joking about kicking your butt. I'll do it if I ever hear you reverted back a bit, I don't care how old you get.” Okay that was over with, now she could get back to locating the thief. He had to have put Walter up to that, he just had to.