S

scikaiju

That woman was better than anticipated, finding that tunnel like she did. It had to be her experience hunting down Horrors, it just had to be. Olivia and several of the guards explored the chamber as thouroughly as they could and never even suspected it existed. Time to control the damage as much as possible at this point. Olivia sent the one guard to explore the tunnel so by now he probably discovered the trick used to keep that exit hidden. That woman would probably look at it too. So no more excursions to collect artifacts.

Okay that was no problem, there was more than enough to sell at this point. Didn't have a clue what any of them did but that wasn't an issue. A good story sold better than actual facts any way. After the money traded hands it didn't really matter if the person who ended ups buying it ended up killing themselves. But track, not just the physical ones, had to be covered. So a quick trip to the archive room and make sure certain reports were mysteriously 'lost' and all that needed to be reworked was the escape strategy..

“What are you doing here?”, a unexpected voice asked. One of the other guards was in here.

Damn it, damn it, damn it! Nobody was supposed to come in here. Quick, think fast, don't make him suspicious, you're almost there. Do not mess up now. 'I thought I'd check the old records to see if there was any mention of that tunnel.”

“Hmm,” he said as he went back to looking over those same records, “that Priest Olivia brought in had the same thought.” Damn it, damn it, damn it. “So she asked me to check for any records of it after I see if there's any caverns in the areas that would be big enough to stash the stolen items in.”

“So they know what was taken?” This could be not good depending on what they know.

“I'm pretty sure Olivia does but she hasn't shared that information as far as I know.” Of course Olivia would know, she could probably even... Okay there was no way they could track the items, Olivia would have done it by now if that was the case So just relax they were still be in the dark about certain details so far.

“Seems to be a strange time to be secretive about something.”

“No kidding but I think Jules has an idea of what might be in that vault, I'm just guessing because she knew what the vault was and seemed a little afraid of it,” Oh right, her name was Jules. “The kid not so much, but she was giving it all the respect it deserves.”

“It's a forbidden vault, anybody who knows what it is is going to give it the proper respect.”

“You're right of course, Now if that idiot would just keep quiet about a 'secret vault' that would make things easier on all of us.”

That idiot being Walter of course. While his ineptitude was a needed ploy if he kept bringing attention to the vault it was just going to make things harder. “Maybe a couple of us should have a ''talk' with him.” A few well placed pats on the spear got the message across easy enough.

The other guard snorted, “Not going to lie, it's tempting. The man's been asking for a beating almost from the moment he arrived. But Olivia has some weird soft spot for him so I'll pass. I might turn my back at the right moment though.” Both of them laughed but he was still looking over the records. Then he took a closer look at one in particular. “This looks like the one we need.,” he said. “I better let the archivist know I'm taking this one for a bit. Jules is going to be a tad disappointed though.”

“Why if it has what we're looking for?”Damn it, damn it damn it. There were too many people outside to just kill him and take the records. Had to do it in here then. The archivist was old enough that she should be easy enough to take care of. But where to hide the bodies?

Then the guard said, “She also asked me to see who looked at these records recently.. Unfortunately the archivist told me they only kept records of those who takes them out of the building. There's too many people coming and going to keep track of them all.”

Oh she was good, but not good enough. “Unlucky for us then, could have really narrowed down the list of suspects.”

“Could have.” he said as he took the record, “but that's life sometimes. See you around.” Waving in return and trying not to panic, things could be worse. They don't know where the items are hidden yet. But if that woman was as good as believed she could probably talk Olivia to increase the guard presence in the surrounding woods. Which means the timetable would have to be sped up. But this could still be workable, chances were the increased presence wouldn't be that soon, or that great right away. It could still work, just can't make make any major mistakes and keep the small ones at a minimum.

S

scikaiju

Leaning against the wall Jules just watched as Shae put everything Nadia had left on the bed back in the closest.And while the kid wasn't exactly being anal about it, it was pretty obvious everything had a section of sorts in that closest and she was making sure things were in the right place. Not quite as perfectly as she assumed it would be, but it still made her the neatest teenager Jules had ever met. Still it was surprising that she didn't notice some old folded papers fall out of a particular jacket. She only noticed when Jules walked over and picked it. Not that she had any intentions of looking at it, at that was the idea until Shae went, “No,” in a really nervous way.

Jules whose only thought right then was don't prove me wrong now kid as she opened it, Shae just looked embarrassed as she glanced over it. She looked up at Shae and asked, “Where did you get this?” She didn't answer, she just kept looking down like she was caught having something she wasn't supposed to have. Probably the wrong tone of voice to use there. “You can be honest with me,' she said in what she hoped was a less demanding way. “Trust me you're not in trouble,” Jules folded it back up and handed it back to her, “Would I be giving it back to you if you were?”

With some uncertainty she reached out and took the papers back. “I found it under some rocks in a box.” she finally said sill looking like she did something wrong.

“By the stream on the south side of the compound right?”, Jules said suddenly. Shae looked back up surprised. She smirked as she went on, “My friend put it there years ago, she hoped somebody would find it in the future, I'm not sure if she thought it would found be this soon or not.” She looked over Shae with a new appreciation, “You can do string magic? That's pretty cool.”

“Walter thought it was useless,” she said softly. Only to look up when Jules put a hand on her shoulder.

“Now I thought we agreed that anything Walter said was to be forgotten. But come on now I know you had to have done some practicing behind his back, otherwise you wouldn't still have this.” Backing up to give her a little more space Jules sat on the edge of the desk and said, “Show me something.”

Luckily it didn't take much more prodding to get that demonstration as Shae reached into a pocket and pulled out a piece of string that was tied end to end forming a circle. She began interweaving the string around her fingers. Before long she made a shape as the string glowed. Then Shae made a throwing motion with her hands at the door, the criss crossing shape covering it.

Getting off the desk Jules walked over to the door and tried opening it. The door wouldn't budge, like it was locked in place. Which it basically was if Jules remembered this particular spell correctly. “Considering Walter had a nasty habit of just barging in whenever he felt like, I'm not surprised you mastered that one.”

“You're friend ceeated this?”, Shae asked.

“Not quite,” Jules said as Shae undid the spell. “She found an old scroll that had the basics more or less down. But she was intrigued enough to try and expand on it. Unfortunately she was the only one who did. While I did support her efforts, I'm sad to say I didn't think much of it at the time either. What else can you do?”

“So far just that,” she started looking a little embarrassed, “I... can't read her hand writing all that well.”

Snorting a bit Jules told her, “How did you think I recognized what it was? And her hand writing hasn't exactly improved over the years.” Shae looked relieved that she wasn't in trouble, okay practice or not that was something she had to work on while she was here. Shae had potential, she just didn't need to hold herself back. Maybe work on making that bit of trust between then just a little bit stronger. “Look Shae, I said you had to be honest with me, and that's still true. But I want you to trust me too. I need you to know that you can ask me anything and I'll do my best to answer it. It might not be a good answer, or even the one you's want to hear but it'll be an answer.”

“Anything?”, she hesitantly asked. Jules should have expected that one, she pretty much opened the door for it.

“Anything,” she told her. Jules went over and sat on the bed and patted the mattress indicating Shae should join her. She did so but she still looked uncertain. “So what's on your mind?” In all honestly she was expecting something like, what going to happen to me if they don't find the real culprit, or what was it like to hunt Horrors. At the extreme ways to hurt somebody like Walter without being caught. She was semi prepared for those types of questions.

So when Shae asked, “How did you get the Knight you married to like you?” It took Jules more than a little cut off guard. She blinked a few times as she processed what she just asked. Shae looked on silently as she waited. Jules looked away for a second still a little stunned, but she did say she give an answer.

“Wow,” she finally ended up saying as her voice started working. “So you're crush is a Knight trainee.” Shae got embarrassed again. “I didn't get Carter to 'like' me,” she ended up saying. Obviously that wasn't the answer she wanted to hear. Jules patted her knee as she tried to get her thoughts together. “I'm going to tell you something that friend,” she pointed at the notes still in Shae's hand, “told me, her Father was a Makai Knight so she should know, but Knights basically have two sets of armor. The first one obvious right? The armor they don to fight Horrors.”

Shae nodded then went, “And the second one?” Granted she looked as confused as Jules felt when she first heard this years ago.

“The second one is the one they place around their hearts. It's not a actual physical armor but a mental one since they have to keep their emotions in check because the soul metal would react to them. That one they have to let you in. There's no way to force it open.”

“Oh,” Shae said a little dejected.

“I didn't say it was impossible,” Jules quickly said. “Carter let me in because he got to know me. It has to be organic is what I'm saying. Just be you, and the you I've seen so far is awesome so don't let anybody tell you otherwise.” While she didn't say a particular name out loud, it was obvious Shae knew who she was partially referring to. “But trust me Shae, if your guy is anything like Carter, once you're in you are in. Well hopefully he'd be more like Carter, it's not always the case.”

“What do you mean?”, Shae asked. Jules kicked herself a little mentally, she had to stop giving her these openings.

“Well,” she started deciding to be honest with her, “A few days before we were married we got an assignment. It involved a Makai Priest who fell because she got engaged to a Knight who ended up cheating on her. Then hit her when she confronted him with it.” Shae looked shocked to hear this. Hopefully anybody with any sense would be shocked at hearing something like that. “Now I haven't met you crush but I'm sure he's nothing like that guy.” For Shae's sake if nothing else she hoped her crush was absolutely nothing like that guy.

“So Carter is pretty understanding then?”, Shae asked.

“More or less. He can be a little gruff when you first met him. It took me a bit to realize that he was lowering that guard a bit when we were alone. Like I said he basically has two modes, and I know he lets me say some things to him that he wouldn't tolerate from others. And that was before we were married. Although,” she trailed off a bit. “between the two of us you'd assume I'd be the sex hungry one if you just met us.”

“Jules,” Shae quickly said looking uncomfortable with the sudden turn in the conversation. Apparently she hadn't quite picked up thart she shouldn't be showing her an opening like that yet. Better drive that particular lesson home if she was going to be around her.

“Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm exactly turning him down when the mood hits.” Shae started to cringe a bit more as she started to pull away. Okay time to take a little pity on her, besides this more than likely wasn't the best conversation to have with someone her age. “Granted we've only been married about five months now, so we're technically still in the honeymoon period,” granted it was probably the outside edge of that particular time frame, but still inside it. “I'm sure he'll settle down before too long.” She got off the bed and waited for Shae to do the same. “Just remember, just be you. And if it looks like he likes you in return don't try and change anything, not him, not yourself, nothing. And don't rush anything either,” she said as they headed for the door, “The last thing I need is for your parents hunting me down, I don't even think Carter would have my back there. Shae smiled as they left the room. “Let's see if Olivia or that guard has found anything yet.”

S

scikaiju

Things were going a little better now, both the guard and Olivia had found what they were looking for. They, minus Shae who was waiting in the other room, huddled around a table in Olivia's office, the one she first saw the box with the bypassed seal which had been removed at this point, more than likely back to the Vault chamber if she had to guess. People were already talking about a vault, much to Olivia's dismay, no point in adding any type of fuel to the speculation fire. First of all her hunch appeared to be right, that tunnel was there before. But there was nothing indicating that there was one leading to the vault itself. “Of course it wasn't going to be that simple,” she muttered as she looked over the paper. “And they only keep track of people who remove things from the archives?”, she asked the guard.

“That's what I was told,” he responded.

“That's they way it's always been,” Olivia spoke up, “even when I was studying here. 'These are records of this place's history' the head Priest at the time once told us, 'they must be preserved and respected as much as anything else in the Order'. It's something that stayed with me, even after I was asked to take over those duties.” Olivia took the records and carefully placed them back in the protective holder the guard had brought them in and closed it with some reverence. “Even more so today.”

“That's all well and good Olivia,” Jules said, “but we're still no closer to figuring out who did this.”

“Unfortunately that's true,” Olivia said as she handed the container back to the guard, “Thank you Marcus. But if it was that easy I wouldn't need you help.” Hearing the slight edge in her voice Jules decided to pull back a bit. The last thing this investigation needed was the person who brought her in to get upset with her. It took a moment but Olivia did seem to calm down “I know you didn't mean any thing by it dear.”

“I was about to cross a line,” Jules quickly said. “And I'm sure the stress over the situation isn't helping. I know I'm feeling it at the moment.” Ovlivia just nodded, to be honest it wasn't until just then that Jules seen her show the weight of the situation getting to her. Even when she was smaller Jules always thought Olivia had an unlimited well of patience and strength, so everything had it's limits from all appearances.

“We all are Jules,” she said. Going back to the table and the map, which was still in it's frame, along with stacks of old documents from her office she waved her closer. “But you might be right about where the items might be hidden. Look here,” she pointed to a couple of small section of buildings that she couldn't exactly remember as she hovered over a lone building in the middle of it all.” This building was torn down decades ago as were these others. I almost forgot about them until you mentioned something about basements. I had to look through several old records to see if I was right.” Looking through the stacks she found what she was searching for and showed it to her. “This building had an basement level, as did a couple of others.”

She felt the smile start to form on her face as she looked over the paper. That basement was just covered over, not filled in according to this, “So we got a starting point in our search. Marcus,” she addressed the guard, “where was that opening located?”

He got closer to get a better look at the map. Pointing out a particular section he told her, “About here.” Nodding Jules held a finger over the map and traced a line from that spot to were those buildings were. Seeing what she was doing he commented, “Plenty of space to get things from here to there without being seen.”

“Unfortunately,” she said. She didn't have to ask if the records for those old buildings were in the archives. And just cemented that this was an inside job in her mind. Because it took this much research just to get them this far. And just stumbling across a tunnel leading to a forbidden vault and a place to hide the goods was just too much to be a coincidence. She had to start looking ar the personal here a little closer. Jules knew she should have done it sooner but she was a little bust trying to see if Shae was the actual culprit or not first. So start with the obvious choices and try to eliminate who you can to narrow things down. She looked up at Marcus before glancing at Olivia. “I think I need to speak with some of the guards here, particularly the ones assigned to watch the vault. Sorry,” she said to Marcus right after making that request.

“Completely understandable,” he told her.

“I can arrange a meeting,” Olivia said, “but not anyone during their shift. Now does not seem to be a good time to lessen the number of guards around the vault. There's never a good time of course.”

“Of course,” she agreed with a slight grin, “we don't want to give the thief a free shot now. You gather those guards, I'll be back in a bit, I think a certain student might be going a little stir crazy.” Olivia nodded as she headed for the door. On the other side Shae was still in the chair that she sat in when the meeting first started. And like Jules thought was looking extremely bored until the door opened. Okay they had to figure out something better to do with her when they had these meetings since having her listen in wasn't the best idea. If teenagers where anything like she was growing up the more they knew the more they wanted to tell somebody. Or maybe that was just her. Either way it was better to make sure the temptation wasn't all that great. “Let's go stretch our legs for a bit, I want to see how much the training grounds has changed since I've been gone.” Greteful for the change of pace Shae jumped out of the chair and joined her as she left the building.

S

scikaiju

It was a little surprising that Jules was doing exactly like she said she was going to, even going so far to point out any difference she happened to spot while they walked. While Shae wasn't exactly expecting, she might have been expecting it a little, to be brought along while she worked the assignment she was asked to do the impromptu tour was unexpected. “You see that tree over there,” she pointed out one in particular as they walked around, “I got half way up it when I was nine before one of the instructor literately dragged me down.” The tree in question had to be at least over sixty feet tall now. And she wasn't seeing any branches low enough to jump up and grab to start, not to mention that trunk looked as straight as any tree she'd seen.

Okay she had to know as she kept looking at that tree while they past it, “Why would you even try to climb that tree?”

She shrugged, “A boy said I couldn't do it so I decided to show him. I'm pretty sure he was the one who got the instructor to begin with. Some people just hate to lose.”

“You climbed that because a boy said you couldn't do it?”, Shae said in disbelief.

“I was little more stubborn back then,” she said with another shrug. “Like I said I was nine. Any time a boy told me I couldn't do something, it just made that more determined to prove him wrong. Now I've matured so anytime anybody tells me I can't do something I'll just ignore them. And thank you for not laughing when I said I matured.”

“It's hard imagining you at my age much less nine,” she said suddenly. Shocking herself in the process, and Jules as well as she looked back at her with a raised eyebrow. “I mean you … you're.”

“Old enough to be called ma'am?”, she said In that teasing way Shae had quickly learned to identify. And even though she knew she was just teasing her Shae still felt a little embarrassed. Then Jules put a arm around her shoulders, “Well I was, believe it or not so was Olivia. I had to grow into the person I am now. So will you after you get out in the world and see things with the filters off.”

“You mean hunting Horrors?”, she asked trying to figure out what she meant.

“No, not like that,” she said. “Not every Makai Priest hunts Horrors.” She searched for the proper words, “I mean actually experience things out there.” She gestured to the woods and the things past them. “The good and the bad. And I'll be honest with you some days there seems to be more bad than good.” After she said that she looked thoughtful again, then she muttered, “Is that why he did it? He was starting to see more bad than good?”

“Who?”, Shae asked. Jules looked like she was about to answer but got this look on her face. It was almost like she was suddenly sad about something, like when she was talking about her mentor.

“It's nothing important any more,” she ended up saying. “Just a left over question from something that happened over a year ago. I know I said I'd be truthful about anything you asked, but that one still a little too personal to answer.”

“I understand,” Shae told her. She did too, or at least she thought she did. So she tried to get away from this particular subject. Thinking fast, or trying to at least, she went with the first thing that popped into her mind. “Are you scared when you hunt Horrors?”

“Sometimes,” Jules said, surprising her a little. Why would you admit that hunting Horrors scares you, even if it's just a little, when you hunt Horrors? Sensing her confusion Jules said, “I may be capable of doing combat spells and take down lower level Horrors but I'm still human. Unless the Watchdogs gives us an assignment most times me and Carter don't know what we're up against half of the time. One of the first times we ever worked together we stumbled upon a pretty powerful Horror, and we weren't even after it at the time. Damn thing took over a car and people wondered why I have a slight disdain for Horrors who don't take over human like the others do.” She shook her head as they kept going.

“Okay then,” Shae went.

“Don't get me wrong, I never want to see a human get eaten or possessed by one,” she went on. “I do as much as I can to make sure that doesn't happen, I'm not always successful but I try. And I'd bet anything Carter would tell you the same thing, we both hate it when we find a gate that's been used. But hunting Horrors is hard enough as it is when it's a person.” She stopped talking just long enough to take a glance behind them. Shae did the same and saw Walter quickly duck behind a tree, that was about a yard or so away from him.

“He's following us?”, she asked.

“Almost since we left's Olivia's office,” Jules replied as they kept going. Shae looked back as he got out from behind the tree only to jump back again when he noticed she was looking. “Probably trying to see if we're up to anything. But he's not the one I'm worried about though, it's the other one.” Shae started to look again but Jules quickly told her, “Don't look. So far that person doesn't know I'm on to 'em just yet. Let's keep it that way for now”

“The thief?” she asked, although the temptation was enough to look back Shae did as she was told.

“More than likely, I thought I saw somebody move behind Walter right after he did,” Jules answered. Then she pointed at something more toward the side, “My friend had her first kiss right over there. Never did see what she did in the guy.” Shae thought she knew what she was doing, making sure the person following them didn't catch on that she knew. They kept on walking a path that seemed rarely used, actually Shae was fairly sure they were in a area that's off limits to the students here. They turned a corner then Jules quickly pushed her off the path and got her to kneel down behind a rather large bush, “Quiet now,” she said softly. Shae did as she was told as Jules kept her eyes on the path. She pulled them back behind the bush as Walter came around the path, looking around. He muttered something as he hurried off, obviously thinking they went on ahead. If she thought Jules was going to relax a bit Shae was mistaken when she looked at her. Jules took her eyes off the path and started looking around them. “About as smart I thought they'd be,” she said after a moment as she stood up.

“Who? The Thief?”, Shae asked. Jules just nodded as she looked around a bit herself.

“It was a long shot any way,” she said after a bit. Then she started off again but not along the path, but further off it. Into an area Shae knew she wasn't allowed to go. “Come on,” she said, “I can't just leave you here.”

“But this area is forbidden to students,” she said.

“It was when I was going here too,” Jules told her. “Just made me want to see it even more. Also there were a bunch of buildings that been torn down and the lower levels weren't exactly filed in. Which is why students were banned from entering the area. You never knew when you step on something and fall through.”

“”So you're investigating a lead,” Shae said as it dawned on her.

“Mostly,” Jules said. “I was being honest about wanting to stretch the legs out and see some of the changes in camp. But I might be right about were the thief could be hiding the things taken from the vault. However I still don't know who to trust in this situation to go and check things out. Well Marcus seems pretty trustworthy so far but it could be an act. Call it paranoia from hunting Horrors.”

“They can be anything apparently,” Shae said as she followed her deeper into the area. Granted she wasn't the typical 'good student', always following the rules and things like that, and she wouldn't say it out loud but there was a certain thrill to what they were doing. But just the idea that they could get caught was making her heart race a little faster.

“Exactly.” Jules kept a closer eye on the ground here, as well as their surroundings. “Listen to me Shae, a little fear can be a good thing,” she said continuing their previous conversation. “It keeps your senses sharp in situations like this. There you are.” She made her look ahead a little further with that last statement, to a bunch of sunken boards in the ground. Crouching down she examined the area, “It doesn't look like any one has touched these in years. So if I was putting stuff here where would I get in?” Shae got closer as she kept looking. Suddenly Jules popped up and held out a arm to block her way, eyes locked on something. Then Shae saw it, a black slip of paper with red markings. Whatever it was it freaked Jules out enough that she made her back up away from the boards.

“What is it?”, she asked when they finally stopped. “I've never seen a seal like that before.”

“That wasn't a seal Shae, not in the way you're thinking,” she answered in a confusing way. In what kind of way was it then? “That's a trap, a rather explosive one.” Shae blinked a few times as the words hit her. She was that close.

“Can you get around it?”

Jules looked back at the area,”Maybe. If it was just me I'd try it. But not with you here.” Shae started to protest that she wasn't in the way but Jules quickly cit that off, “By staying by me I'm supposed to make sure you stay safe. And disarming a explosive spells with you around does not count as keeping you safe.”

“So now what do we do now?”, she asked.

“Well, we go back to Olivia's office and tell her what we found. She won't like that I brought you out here but it can't be helped. And I have got to find you something to do beside sitting in that office while I'm talking to her.”

“You won't get an argument from me,” Shae told her. Jules just looked at her, “What?”

“That's sounds like something I'd say. Now I know I can't be rubbing off on you that quickly,” Jules told her as they headed back to the path.

S

scikaiju

There was no way she saw me, the actual thief thought. She was concentrating on that oaf following the two of them. But there still might be the chance she caught a small glimpse, s leg at the most, when he tried to hide suddenly when they looked back. A glimpse didn't mean she got a good look behind him at me. It was a small hope to cling to but it's all there was at the moment. Then she and the girl hide once they turned the corner, and stayed hidden once the oaf kept going. They were still visible from this position so the thief watched to see what they would do. She was waiting for me, the thief realized quickly enough. It was just a glimpse that was it but apparently it was enough to raise her suspicions. So I'll just stay here. She got out of hiding and looked around before they headed further into the woods, not continue along the path but into the woods. The thief was confused for a moment, only to panic slightly when the thief realized where they were.

How did she know? Those buildings were already torn down decades ago, long before she was ever a student here. Staying back but keeping them in view the thief watched as she headed to where the old building was ant knelt down. Not really breathing the thief watched as she looked around. Then her demeanor seemed to changed, she noticed the trap that was set. She made the girl back up before leaving after a quick conversation.

She's going to Olivia, in that there was no question. And there was no time to get the items and move them elsewhere. Well maybe a couple since they were hidden in more than one basement. But the big money items were in that spot. So it was time to get picky. But there was still that woman, if she knew about this one then there was a chance she knew about the other buildings that used to be in this section. Probably got that information from Olivia since even the archives didn't have the old training ground maps. Well this wasn't going to be as bloodless as originally planned. No some people were going to have to die now if they got in the way. And she had to be one of them, there was just no other way.

S

scikaiju

To say Olivia was upset that she took Shae into that area was an understatement. She was down right angry over it. Even when she was younger Jules had never seen her this angry. Jules knew the woman wasn't a big believer in physical violence, but for a moment there she was actually worried it was going to head that way. Then she mentioned the trap. The anger she was feeling melted away along with the color in her face. “A.. are you sure?”, she asked.

“I've seen it before or something similar,” Jules told her. “Most recently before me and Carter was married. I'm pretty sure I could have disarmed it but I didn't want to risk it with Shae there. And honestly Olivia You're the only person here, outside of Shae that is, I think I could tell that too.”

“Of course,” Olivia said, although still a little ruffled over the information she was just told. “I've been the head of this particular training ground for a long time. I'm finding it more that a tad upsetting that I don't think I can trust those who been under me for just as long.”

“Believe me Olivia I more than understand what you're going through.” Like when they thought somebody was trying to split the order again. She didn't know who they could trust during that situation either. Although trying to deal with someone trying to pick up were Sigma left off was easier to deal with than what actually happened. Olivia, knowing the details of what happened back then just nodded. Jules still felt for her though. “It just means we need to figure out who else we can trust and quick. Have you brought in some of the vault guards in so I can talk to them?”

“Yes, a couple of them just arrived after you did.” Jules tried not to read into that statement too much, considering she was fairly certain the thief was following her and Shae not that long ago. “They're in another room, waiting for you.”

“Lead the way,” Jules said. Following her out the door Jules took a moment to look out a particular window to view the front of the building. There was Shae sitting on a bench talking to her friend Nadia, and not that far off was one of the regular guards keeping watch over the situation. Again not an ideal solution but infinitely better than just having her stay in a room by herself while she did this. And Olivia swore by this particular guard so she had to trust her judgement there, despite revealing she wasn't sure who she could trust either in this situation. But sometimes you just had to take a leap of faith with some people.

“In here,” Olivia said as opened a particular door. On the other side was five individuals just standing around. Four of which who were staring right at her as she and Olivia entered the room. But all it took was one look from Olivia for that to strop. Satisfied the situation was settled for the most part she started with the introductions, “You know Marcus of course,” they simply nodded to each other. “This is the head of the vault detail Emily,” who also nodded but still kept her eyes on Jules. “And we have Hector, Johnathon and Lynda. Jasmine and Travis are currently still guarding the Vault.”

“I'd like to talk to them later if that's possible,” she said.

“I'm sure it will be,” Olivia told her. “You don't need me holding your hand here so I'll let you get to it. Answer her questions as best as you can,” she told the guards before leaving the room. Once the door closed Jules took stock of who was in the room with her. Emily was still staring her down, and everyone but Marcus was doing the same. Oh this was going to be fun.

“Let's get something out of the way,” she began. “First of all I get it, you're annoyed right now because you're being questioned again. I've been there.” The leader Emily and a couple of the others seemed unconvinced of her truthfulness at the moment. Now how was she going to get them to trust her and open up. “Since I'm sure Walter been telling any one he could about that particular bit of my recent past,” In the back Johnathon seemed to perk up a little, Granted it wasn't just a hunch on her part but it was still damn annoying. To him specifically she added, “Just for the record, yes my former mentor did try to expose what we do. And no I had no clue he was doing it. Something I had to explain more times than I can count. Every time someone new was brought in that was always one of the first questions they asked. It got to the point as soon as I say someone new that was pretty much the first thing out of my mouth. Like I said I get the annoyance.”

“Then why talk to us then if you understand so well?”, Emily demanded. Which got a nod of agreement from a few of them.

“Because at this point it'll be faster to eliminate people than actually figure out who did it,” she told them. “And the faster I can eliminate some names the faster I can tell Olivia we can add them to the search for the culprit. So help me eliminate some people here.”

She kept eye contact with Emily the entire time. Because Jules got the feeling where she'd go the rest of them would go too, or at least she hoped that was the case. She was sure they 'd answer because Olivia told them to but she wanted the the help to come from them not because they were told to. Finally Emily looked at the rest of them and nodded, and they nodded in return. Looking back at Jules she went, “What do you want to know.”

“Thank you,” Jules told her. To the group she said, “Now I'm going to try and not ask you things you've been asked before. Mainly because I don't know what was asked and what your answers were, so I won't be able to compare notes from that previous session.” She watched the group for any sort of reaction to what she just said, somebody relaxing a little or looking relieved, any sort of sign. But this group was giving away nothing so far. Although she did notice Emily was doing the same. Did she have doubts too? “Since I know nothing about the rotation schedule let's start there. How often do you switch spots in a day.”

“We have a morning, afternoon and night rotation,” Emily told her. “The vault is constantly guarded.”

“What do you do if nature calls?”

“We hold it,” Lynda told her sharply which got a look from Emily.

Marcus volunteered, “If we have to go bad enough we call someone who isn't on duty at that moment to cover us for a few minutes.”

“And we're never gone longer than that,” Emily told her. Jules nodded, well just by the smell she figured they didn't go in any part of the chamber. That would have been disgusting. But chances are Emily made sure they stayed to that few minutes. So if it was a vault guard it wasn't during their shift.

“Again I'm just trying to figure out the standard procedure here, but do you go and examine the vault chamber itself, and if you do how often?” Here they started to look at each other. “You do go back and examine the vault chamber?”

S

scikaiju

“Not regularly, “Johnathon answered

“We'll be doing it more now,” Emily said. Jules was sure that was directed more towrd them than her so she said nothing.

Hector finally started to speak up, “I usually only do it if I thought I heard something. In case something was trying to get out.” That got a groan from the others. Obviously something he said before, and often based on their reactions. “You don't know what's in there something could try and get out.”

“Nothing is trying to get out of the vault,” Lynda told him. “Even if it did you'd know before it happened.”

“Having done research on a couple of the items in this particular vault,” Jules told him, “that's a pretty reasonable fear to have.” Somehow that didn't look like that exactly made him feel better “So it's just the seven of you assigned to guard the vault?” they nodded in response. “So what happens when somebody gets sick? Does one of the border guards get rotated in until that person is better?”

“Outside of Olivia we're the only ones who know the vault is here,” Emily told her. “So somebody has to do double duty until that person gets better.”

“Thanks to Walter,” Johnathon said. “more people than ever are talking about a secret vault on the premise.”

“I still say we should 'teach' him not to talk about things he don't know about,” Lynda said, smashing a fist into the palm of her other hand to highlight her point. Which drew a warning look from Emily, although Jules did notice Hector and Johnathon silently nodding in agreement before that happened.

“I think you should probably listen to the boss lady here on that,” Jules told them “Although for the unofficial record I will find something else extremely interesting if that moment happens.” While Lynda and the others gave her an appreciative looked Emily was less than happy with her statement. “That's pretty much all I have for you for now. But don't be that surprised if I track you down later if a few more come to mind. That's it for now.”

“You heard her,” Emily spoke up, “dismissed.” They all snapped to attention and left the room. All but Emily, who closed the door leaving the two of them. “You didn't eliminate anybody did you?”, she asked.

“I think we can eliminate you,” Jules told her truthfully, which caught the other Priest by surprise. “I was watching you, and you were watching them when they answered anything. And not in any sort of warning way that I could tell. You think it's one of the vault guards too.”

She started looking as tired as Olivia probably felt in this situation. And it looked like it hurt her to admit, “So far everything seems to point to one of us. And that honestly pisses me off.”

“It would me too if I was in your place,” Jules told her.”I didn't want to ask this with the others in the room, but are any of them acting off in any way?”

“That's the frustrating part, none of them are, at least in front of me at any rate,” she said crossing her arms. “I've known most of them for years, you'd think I'd be able to notice something.”

Briefly remembering what happened with Reks Jules said, “Oh believe me I know how exactly frustrating that can be. But what do you mean by most of them?”

“Hector and Johnathon only joined our ranks in the last year or so.” Jules didn't say anything but that was plenty of time to figure out a way into the vault. So two people to keep a closer eye on at least. “But I vetted them pretty thoroughly before I accepted them into our ranks.”

“I'm sure you did, but people can fool you,” then mostly to herself she added softly, “No matter how long you knew them.” Getting herself out of the funk that threatened to overtake her Jules said, “But right now we're on the same side. I'll let Olivia know that I think we can trust you here but let's keep each other in the loop about what's going on.

“Agreed,” Emily said and extended a hand. Jules took it and they shook them to cement their new relationship. She didn't know about Olivia but Jules was glad they had at least one more person they could rely on.

S

scikaiju

“A black market? Come on now Nadia,” Shae said as the two of them sat on that bench In front of Olivia's office building. She was just happy Jules said this was okay to that guard Olivia said was going to watch her for a few minutes while Jules continued with her investigation for the time being. And even though she promised not to tell anybody anything about the forbidden vault, Shae was surprised to learn how much the other students already knew since rumors were running rampant all over the training ground according to Nadia. But some of the things she was telling her was just too unbelievable, like this black market business.

“That's the word going around,” she insisted. “Honest. I've even heard my folks talk about on occasion.”

“But how would anyone not in the Order know what the stuff was?”, she asked. No one outside the Order was supposed to know they even existed. So there being a underground market for items they used didn't make any sense to her.

“How am I supposed to know?”, Nadia asked. “I'm just telling you what I heard. Let's ask that guard maybe he'll know.” Both of them turned to where the guard was. He wasn't there any more. Both of them looked around to see where he went. While Shae didn't see the guard she did see Walter looking right at her with that stare that made her skin crawl. She reached to grab Nadia's arm to get her attention then Walter looked to the side with a curious look. Shae did the same and saw a group of students come in their direction. They didn't look pleased to see them, or her for that matter. But Walter looked pleased with what he was seeing.

“Nadia,” Shae was able to get out loud enough to get her attention. She saw the crowd and quickly got in front of her.

“Can we help you?”, she asked in a demanding way.

“Out of the way Nadia,” one of them said, “we came to teach her the lesson she has coming.” Nadia got her brush in hand and squared off with them. Shae, while she didn't have her Madou Brush still had that string she used and Jules let her keep, slowly reached into the pocket holding it. If she could put up a barrier to block them real fast then maybe the two of them could quickly get away while they were confused. She glanced back at Walter who did nothing to stop the group. Don't panic she told herself you can do this. Just stay calm and cast that spell like you've been doing since you discovered those notes.

Before she got a chance to do anything a metal spike impaled the ground in front of the crowd making them stop in their tracks. Everybody looked over where it came from and saw a furious looking Jules standing there, before marching over to the group and before they all ran off she grabbed one by the arm and pulled her out of there. It was the same one she had caught making the threat to her earlier. “You just don't listen do you?”, she said as the rest of them ran away. Dragging her over to someone wearing something similar to what the people guarding the vault entrance were wearing she said, “You might want to have Olivia talk with this one.”

“With pleasure,” she said as she took the girls other arm.

“It wasn't my idea!”, she started to protest. “It was...”

“Save it for Olivia,” the guard snapped at her. She looked around and spotted Walter still standing there. “Why didn't you do anything?”

Instead of answering Walter said. “What are you going to do about her,” he pointed right at Jules, “Attacking the students with that metal spike.” Was he actually trying to say Jules was at fault here? For trying to protect her and Nadia? Of course he was, he blamed her for stealing from the vault the first chance he got. Then Shae saw Jules do something with her brush, and the metal spike faded away.

The guard saw it too and started smiling to herself. “What spike?” she asked. Walter pointed at where it was at then started sputtering when he realized it was gone. Seeing a couple of border guards she said, “Grab him and bring him to Olivia. She'll want to know why he was just going to let a bunch of students gang up on those two,” she nodding her head toward her and Nadia.

“Now wait a minute,” Walter said as he tried to get out of their grasp, but to no avail as he was soon being dragged inside with that vault guard in tow dragging the girl along with her.

In the next instant Jules was in front of the two of them looking them over, “You guys alright?”

“We're fine Jules,” Shae told her. She looked relieved right before she started scanning the area, looking for that errant guard as well. Although she had a hand directly on her shoulder and was rubbing it gently.

“What was that?”, Nadia asked. “They were just going to jump me and Shae. For nothing.”

“I'm sure it wasn't nothing,” Jules told her. As she looked at them “I warned that one girl off earlier. And I doubt she's dumb enough to just ignore that warning. Somebody had to put her and the others up to it.”

“Walter?”, Shae asked a little unsure of it as soon as she said it. It made sense to her seeing how he was just standing there looking satisfied at the situation. But would he really stoop that low?

“He's at the top of my suspect list too,” Jules informed her. “But I doubt even he's that stupid. Close, mind you, but not that stupid.”

“Over here!”, somebody cried out. Shae looked over to see the person was close to where the guard watching her was supposed to be. “

“Stay here,” Jules told them as she rushed over to that spot. She stopped and knelt down and checked something, looking relieved again she pulled back. Shae heard her say, “He's just knocked out. But get him some medical attention anyway.” the person who yelled nodded and ran off for that help as Jules stood up. She looked around at a few others just staring in her direction. “I don't suppose anybody saw anything?”, she called out. When nobody was forth coming with the answer she blew out a breath, “Of course not.”

“Is that guard going to be all right?”, Shae asked her when she got closer

“He's just unconscious, but he'll be fine once he wakes up,” Jules assured her. Then she started to scan the area again before looking at Nadia. “You're a pretty good friend. Were you planning on fighting them all off on your own?”

Nadia started looking embarrassed, which was something Shae had never seen before now. “Somebody has to look out for Shae. Did the person who tried to frame her do this?”

Jules nodded, “It's a good bet. Come on let's get out of the open in case they try it again.” While she guided them inside the building after the other person returned with help for the fallen guard Jules still looked over the area. Shae tried to do the same, not sure what to look for. But it felt better than doing nothing.

However she did manage to say, “Can you show me how you did that metal spike?”

Jules looked at her and smiled a bit, “Sure, I think we have a few free moments. How about you Nadia, you want to learn how to?” Nadia just shrugged but she wasn't looking uninterested either. Shae found herself getting a little closer to Jules as they walked toward the building.

S

scikaiju

Knowing Olivia for as long as she had Jules had only seen her get angry, truly angry twice. Both times just happened to be today so Jules was staring to get a little worried about her mental state. Getting that repeatedly angry in that short of time couldn't be good for her. At least this time it wasn't directed at her like it was earlier. This time the cause was Walter, and his apparent lack of effort to stop that crowd from trying to get at Shae. And given who was in the next room Jules almost felt sorry for the girl they dragged in here, almost. She did tell her she'd hold her responsible after all.

“Why were you just standing there?!” Olivia demanded, not for the first time since this meeting started. Walter again refused to say anything in his defense so far. Jules stood to the side keeping her head down the entire time. Mostly because Olivia asked to be in here for this and wanted to be respectful. But partially because if she did look Jules wouldn't be able to hide how much she was enjoying seeing him squirm, especially after all the crap he said to her when she was being investigated. Beside Olivia already aimed her ire at her once today and she wasn't in a rush to repeat the experience any timr soon. “More than one person saw you see that group threaten Shae and Nadia.”

“Then why didn't they do anything then?”, he shot back. Jules winced, just knowing what was coming. Apparently Walter didn't realize what he just stepped in because he kept going, “Why am I the one being signaled out?”

“This isn't about them!”, Olivia forcibly told him. Here Jules glanced up and now finally Walter seemed to figure out how deep in it he currently was. “You saw a mob come at another student and did nothing to curtail it. In fact a couple enen said it looked like you were enjoying it?”, Olivia stormed up to Walter, who started to back up. Jules briefly considered stepping in, but didn't telling herself she would if it looked like she was going to get physical. She was considering defending Walter, today was a weird one all right. “This is about you apparently letting a situation happen for your own sick amusement.”

“She had it coming,” he ended up saying. It took a moment, and Olivia getting redder and redder, for him to realize that was the wrong say at that moment. So much so Jules started to make her way forward to get between the two of them.

“You don't get to decide that!”, Olivia exploded. Walter flinched so hard it look like he shrunk a foot when he did so. Then she turned her head toward her with a look that made it clear she didn't want Jules to get involved. Worried more about Olivia's reputation than Walter's safety at the moment Jules held her ground, but made it clear she wasn't moving backwards any time soon. Looking back at Walter she continued on, “We do not let mob mentality run things here or any where in the Order! Why you thought that would be acceptable in any way is inconceivable to me.” She went back to her desk and dropped back into her chair. Walter opened his mouth to say something. “I don't want to hear it,” she snapped at him. “Get out of here before I say or do something I'll regret.”

It took a moment but Walter finally got moving. Opening the door he snarled at Shae, who was out there with Nadia. Jules saw Emily step forward since she was making sure they one they dragged in here as the ringleader didn't try and leave while this meeting was going on. Walter looked back at the two of them before walking through the door, slamming the door behind him.

Rubbing her forehead as she sat in the chair Olivia looked extremely tired. “I wish I never rescued him and brought him into the Order.”

“Olivia you don't mean that,” Jules said as she stepped forward. Although now she could stop wondering who saved him all those years ago. “You'll know you'll regret saying that later, after you calmed down.”

She sighed, “You're right, I probably will. He had so much potential when I first brought him into the fold. I knew he was old enough to be already be set in his ways. But I hoped his mind would open, even a little, after he saw there was more to the world then what he knew.” Jules sat in one of the chairs on this side of the desk and just let her talk. “I never knew what his old life was like before I came into contact with him. I realize now that's where his attitude came from, I can picture his father being the same way. If only I noticed how he was before now. I could have tried harder to help him.”

“You said yourself he was good at hiding how he really felt,” Jules told her. “You can't really help if you don't know the problem's there to begin with.

Olivia gave her a sad smiles Jules couldn't interpret, she soon said, “Vincent told me the same thing when I brought it up to him a few years ago.” Jules quickly blinked a couple of times after hearing that. That did sound like something he would have said now that she thought about it, and probably where she got it to begin with. “You're both right of course. It just feels like I failed him sometimes.”

“He's not your responsibility Olivia,” she told her. “Vincent told me something once while I was growing up. You can't help the ones who don't want it. He has to want to change first, and if his way were set then chances are they're permanent by now.”

“I'm aware of that Jules,” she said. “It's something I try and tell myself, almost daily at this point.” She looked off into the distance, Jules let her glad she appeared to be calming down at least. “You have to understand one thing, I did the one thing we weren't supposed to do and checked around with their neighbors, trying to understand why that Horror attacked that particular family. From what I heard his father was a down right horrible person and treated his wife worse than trash. He kept holding over the idea that even if she left him that she would have nothing since everything was in his name and not hers. And all the judges in that small town were all his friends since he was an officer of the law so he'd make sure she got nothing if she tried to divorce him. That poor woman was so miserable for the longest time.”

With everything she'd seen and experience over the years Jules quickly guessed what Olivia wasn't saying, at least not out loud. “His mother was the Horror,” Olivia leaned back and closed her eyes, “wasn't she?”

S

scikaiju

“I have no concrete proof one way or another,” she said finally opening her eyes back up, “but I'm afraid she might have been. We were searching for a rumored gate for a while,but the area was so out of the way we never put that much effort into finding it. Because we didn't yet another victim fell into whatever lure the Horror baited her with. Maybe if we took it a little more seriously...”

“Olivia don't,” she spoke up. “Don't do this to yourself. Even if you did find that gate before she did then she'd still be in a horrible situation. She was in a no win situation no matter how you look at it.”

“I'm fully aware of that as well, as Vincent had often told me over the years. I'm also aware these things happen in cycles and I was trying to break it before it happened to some one else.” she leaned back in the chair, almost like she was trying to hide herself in it. “I knew I shouldn't but I was convinced if I could save Walter that I could exercise some of my sin over that situation, imaginary or not.” She was quiet for a long time before she sat back up, “Now I have another mess to deal with,” she said as she waved a hand toward the door.

Jules looked back at the door than gave her hand a quick squeeze. “Well, she's been out there long enough that hopefully she scared herself into talking. So that should make things easier for you.” Jules looked at her for a bit, not realizing how old she looked until just now. “You want me in here for that talk too?”

“No dear,” she said patting her hand. “I'm sure I've more than have a handle on this one. Besides you still have a thief to catch. And you can't do that by holding my hand during these messes.”

“Okay Olivia,” Jules said getting up.”But I think somebody did put her and the others up to it she was going to say who before Emily told her to save it for you. More than likely it was the thief, So this might have been his or her's first slip up.”

“We can only hope,” Olivia told her. Taking another moment to compose herself Olivia said, “Please send her in as you leave.”

:Of course,” Jules said as she left the room. On the other side of the door Shae ans Nadia looked on expectantly. Then she looked over at the other side of the room and saw Emily still guarding the girl she dragged out of that mob. She wouldn't look at her as she sat there. Right now she didn't have any sympathy for the kid. “I so don't want to be you right now.” Looking at Emily she jerked a thumb toward the door, getting the message Emily nodded as she took the girl by the arm again, getting her to stand and walked her to Olivia's office Going over to the other two girls Jules asked them, “Did Walter say anything to you two?”

“No,” Shae answered, Nadia nodded in agreement. “He just stormed out of here after he slammed that door.”

“I'm pretty sure that guard would have done something if he tried anything,” Nadia spoke up.

Looking back at the door Emily took the girl through Jules smirked slightly. “I think she would have too. Now I do believe I promised the two of you that I'd show you how to do that one spell I used.” Shae perked up almost immediately, Nadia wasn't quite as evident as Shae but she seemed interested as well. “I'm pretty sure Olivia's doesn't want us to pull it off in here. So let's head to a practice range and I can show you two there.” Both of them got up, right when the guard who got knocked out walked in. “Are you all right now?”, Jules asked.

“Just a little woozy at the moment,” he said, “but the healer's positive I'll be over it soon. I just wanted to check on Shae and Nadia. I heard about what almost happened after I got knocked out.”

“We're fine,” Shae told the guard as she held her arms out.

“Not a hair out of place,” Nadia agreed.

“I'm glad,” he said. He was obviously upset that he pretty much failed in doing his duty, despite it not being his fault to begin with. Honestly it was a refreshing change from Walter's stubbornness from a few moments ago.

“I don't suppose you saw who did it to you?”, Jules asked. The thief might have made one mistake in getting that group riled up enough to go after Shae, if that girl in Olivia's office can identify the person that is. If that happened then maybe they made one more.

He started shaking his head, so much for that, “I got a glimpse of somebody walking past me then everything went black. I didn't have the chance to see who it was, sorry.”

“At least you're all right,” Jules told him, “that what counts.” Glimpses, she thought she caught a glimpse of he person behind this earlier, now this guard had one as well. Maybe the thief was getting careless now, feeling the pressure. Or maybe they were lucky as hell. Either way Jules needed to think about what she had in terms of clues at the moment and figure out how to use them to catch this person. Turning back toward the girls she said, “Let's get to that practice range.” Both of them nodded as they left the building. Jules caught Shae looking around at their surrounding. She hated that this situation made her a little paranoid, but Jules only caught it because she was doing the same exact thing. Maybe teaching a couple of teenagers wasn't the best idea to clear her head but it all she had at the moment. And the clearer her head was the faster she could figure this out.

S

scikaiju

This was getting out of hand faster than expected. It was easy enough to get most of the kids around here wound up enough that they would have went after the girl. The only obstacle in that particular plan was the unexpected presence of that guard, He was a nice enough guy, always with a friendly greeting no matter what his mood was at the time. He was also extremely lucky since he was out in the open with plenty of witnesses to hear him cry out once the blade pierced his flesh, otherwise he would have been death number one. As it was that quick knock out spell was tricky enough to cast unnoticed. Fortunately the brats choose right then to go after the girl getting everybody's attention. It was the perfect distraction to get away and move some of those items closer to that arranged extraction spot.

Then that damn woman got involved again. Who would have guessed that she would have used an actual magical metal spike to stop them. But she did and it was enough to stun the brats long enough for her to pick out one in particular and have the other guard take her inside before her and the other two girls went inside as well. The only bright spot was Walter was dragged inside as well, so while the others were watching him protest his treatment they didn't notice one person slip away from the scene. Not an ideal situation but at least a couple of the smaller items were closer to the extraction point, now to figure out how to move some of the bigger items without being noticed. Wait, there were the underground sections of the training ground, most of them were connected to each other and rarely guarded. Well that was the case for the moment, who knows when that will change. Not to mention having to find out if they were even still connected to the buildings that were torn down. That information was going to be harder to obtain now, more than likely the archivists were going to pay extra attention to any one looking at the old records now. Difficult but still doable, just had to be fast enough it didn't occur to that woman to check into it as well.