Makai Gaiden: Rook- The Bride of Sorrow

S

scikaiju

A panic stricken man was trying to run for his life. But everywhere he looked things looked like giant tarot cards, even the floor and ceiling. Every time he thought he might have found a way out one of those cards slid down and he slammed into it. Before too long his eyes started playing tricks on him,making it look like the room was shifting in certain areas. Almost it was trying to draw him in. Then it looked like the wall were starting to close in on him. With fear quickly taking over he realized that it was. He squatted and covered his head, squeezing his eyes as tight as they could get. “This can't be happening,” he said over and over.

“Oh but it is,” a male voice told him. He looked up and saw who it belonged to and shouted in terror.

As the echoes of the shout died down the space faded to look like a multi story loft, one that looked like a soul hasn't lived in it for years but a loft none the less. Which suited it's current occupants just fine. One the ground level, sitting on the floor was a woman dressed primarily in a white dress, something similar one would see in a ballet or ballroom but a little more ragged, with her dark hair pulled back into a tight ponytail, sat on the floor lazily flipping tarot style cards over on an old beat up coffee table. Above her relaxing and balancing on a thin wooden guard rail, was her male companion. Dressed in a dark blue suit with a black shirt he stared at the ceiling. “Be glad you didn't get to him first,” he told her while picking at his teeth with a fingernail. “I'm pretty sure he was mostly gristle and really stringy.” Stretching, although it looked like an impossible task to any one watching, at least without falling off in either direction. He added, “He was deeply disappointing. I wouldn't even feed a dog the scrapes. If I left any.”

The woman continued to silently flip over the cards.one by one. Until something grabbed her attention. “Maybe this one would be better suited to your tastes,” He looked down as she lifted up the card she just revealed. “Another Makai Knight.”

“I hope this one's more entertaining than the last two,” he scoffed. “An old man and you're old boy friend. I was almost too embarassed to take a trophy the two of them where so pathetic.” Swinging around so he was sitting with his legs dangling he asked, “Is he close by? Maybe we could scout him out.”

“He's not in this part of the city,” she informed him while flipping over even more cards, “On an assignment. There's a fight.”

“Of course there is,” he said as, almost sounding bored of it all he resumed his previous position. “When isn't there one.”

She continued as if he said nothing. “He gets marked.” One last card made her pause and tilted her head a bit, “He's the son of the one from before.”

“Now that is interesting,” he commented returning to a seated position. “Looking to avenge dear old daddy. It'll be a diversion at any rate.”

In a sparsely inhabited part of the city stood a house. Nothing about it seemed out of place to any other dwelling in the city. Anyone passing by on the street wouldn't pay it any extra attention, which was how the owner of this particular establishment preferred it. Some of their usual guests didn't want to be stared at or talked about as they entered or exited. In fact you had to be part of a very specific circle of individuals, or know where to look or who to talk to, to even know this particular place existed. It wasn't a secret society as most would think of it, the modern world knew people like this existed, now more than ever. But it was still frowned upon in some circles.

Despite knowing this a young couple walked up the walk to the front door. The female of the two, a blond haired woman. Knocked on the door. It opened to let her and her also blond male companion enter. The door quickly closed behind them. Inside they found a relatively normal looking living room, outside of how some of the women lounging around or walking across to a different room were dressed. With some soft music playing in the background a new woman appeared behind what was probably a kitchen counter, based on what the couple could see behind her. “Greetings,” she addressed the couple and beckoned them closer. “I take it this is your first visit to this type of establishment?”

The young female again took the lead, almost pulling her companion with her. “Ah, yes. You're website said you accepted walk-ins.”

“Yes we do,” she answered. “Fortunately for you this seems to be a slow night.” At this the male started glancing at the other people in the room, particularly the doorman who let them in. “I'm sorry my manners are just atrocious right now. Welcome to The Dungeon, I'm Lady Daphne, owner and operator of this particular endeavor of pleasure. Now are the two of you looking for anything in particular this evening?”

The woman looked around nervously, as if she was suddenly unsure if this was a good idea after all. Lady Daphne, being used to this, just smiled in a reassuring way, waiting for them to be a bit more comfortable with the situation. “You see, I recently found out my fiance here,” she gestured to her companion, “has a particular set of interests.And I thought, before we got married I'd treat him a bit and let him indulge this particular fantasy of his.”

“Wonderful,” Lady Daphne exclaimed. “You're fiance is lucky to have somebody as open minded as you. Not a lot of future wives, or husbands for that matter, would be.” Turning to the male she asked, “So what are we into? Just so I can set you up with the appropriate employee to give you a wonderful first experience. Maybe your fiance would like to join you in the session.”

“Oh no,” the female quickly said. “I respect what he's into. But I don'y want to join in.”

“Perfectly understandable my dear,” the head of this particular household told her. “Stepping outside your comfort zone is always hard at first. Even if it's in our comfort zone and you're in a group of like minded individuals, can be hard for the first time.” She adressed this to more the male sensing some trepidation from him since he kept looking around.

Realizing he was being spoken to he said. “It doesn't make it less nerve wreaking.”

“Now honey, “ the woman said. “Relax and enjoy yourself. Just not too much.”

He grunted and glanced around the room again. His eyes seemingly going back to one of the women in the room in particular. A small, thin looking woman who glanced back every so often. “Honestly I'm not really sure. I've had these needs for a while now, I'm just not sure how to enact on them,”

The woman he kept eyeing stepped forward, an act that made Lady Daphne nervous for some reason. She smiled sweetly and said, “I don't mean to overstep my bounds my Lady but I couldn't help but overhear and it sounds like he may need a more experience hand to lead him on this particular journey.”

“Yes,” Lady Daphne slowly said. The two women just looked at each other intently, the young couple unaware of what was transpiring in front of them. Eventually Lady Daphne back down from the private conflict. “Again my manners, I may have to have a session with one of our tops before too long to set myself straight. This young lady here is Persephone, she's one of our top switches.”

“Pardon me,” the female spoke up,” but 'switches'?”

Lady Daphne smiled again, but it wasn't as bright this time, “Basically it means she can act as either a top or a bottom. And she's right, she would be the perfect person to help your fiance here to explore this fantasy of his. How long of a session would you like for tonight?” A quick conference between the two helped finalized the details. Persephone took the man, who declined to remove his long coat for the moment, and led him to another room.

Looking a bit more nervous than before, the woman watched them go down a hallway. Turning back to Lady Daphne she went, “”I know you website said nothing sexual goes down here but is that really true?”

“Of course it is my dear,” Lady Daphne assured her as she stepped around the counter and pointed out some chairs she could sit in, making sure to make eye contact with the other women in the room to get them to back down a bit, something the young woman seemed to miss. Lady Daphne continued with the regular spiel she went to in these situation, “Despite what some people think, or want you to believe, we're not hookers with whips. Now try to relax, would you like something to drink?”

Persephone lead him to a room, that looked like a school room of some sort. Walking in a little further he looked around a bit before turning to her with a confused look on his face. “It's a popular fantasy.” she informed him as she closed the door. “The naughty student and the stern teacher.” She came a little closer as he continued to examine the room in detail, “Or any variation there of. If it's not yours we can make do with what's available at hand, room jumping is frowned upon by Lady Daphne, even on a dead night like tonight. So what is your wish, you hidden desire?”, she put a hand on his shoulder.

Now the man stopped wondering around, something about him changed a bit. She wasn't afraid of it. It wouldn't be the first time a client tried to act tougher than he usually was with her. Eventually he said, “Let's start with something simple.” Turning a bit to face her he held out a hand, holding something that looked like a lighter of some sort. “Look at this,” igniting it a blue flame came to life, flickering in the air. She stared at it, transfixed for the moment. Her pupils went pale as strange ancient letters floated in them.

S

scikaiju

In the living room Jules tried to continue as if she didn't notice every other woman in the room was trying to look like they weren't looking at her, particular Lady Daphne who was taking up position behind her. Leaving the offered drink untouched for the moment, she was positive a little something extra was added to it. So she leafed through one of the pamphlets on the table beside her. Trying to be at least conversational she didn't look up while saying, “You offer couple classes? I saw it on the site but I still don't believe it.”

“Yes,” Lady Daphne replied. “I've found it's a good way for the couples involved to get a better understanding of each other. Especially when one doesn't have the particular set of desires of the other. We have one starting in a few weeks if you and your fiance would like to sign up.”

“Maybe after I look into this particular lifestyle a little more. I'm still not sure about it.” She looked up and saw the other women still trying to look like they weren't looking in their direction. She added, “Joining in on it I mean, no offense.”

Before anyone could respond something that sounded like a crash made everybody look at the hallway. Lady Daphne looked at the doorman and motioned for him to investigate. Before he got too far her fiance was sent flying back into the living room. Getting to his feet and pushing the doorman away he looked back down the hall. A second later Persephone came charging at him. Spinning in place his foot came around and caught her in the head, knocking her to the side. The other women present started screaming at the seen and almost trampled over each other trying to get away.

Persephone knelt on the ground, snarling at him. Then she grabbed the doorman and hurled him at her opponent. He caught the man, tried and succeeded in not falling back from the added weight then tossed the doorman aside. Persephone gave a unearthly scream at him before changing direction and breaking down the front door to get away. He didn't hesitate to chase after her,

Still sitting in the chair Jules lowered her head and started rubbing the bridge of her nose, “Damn it Carter.” This was a mess she was probably going to have to clean up for him. This had better not become a regular habit with him after they were married. Realizing she had to say something since Lady Daphne was still there she thought fast. “I.. uh... guess he liked it a little rougher than I originally thought.” Then she felt an arm around her neck and struggled to free herself as she was pulled off the chair.

Chasing the horror possessed woman down the street Carter dodged or jumped over any obstscle she threw in his way. This Horror was faster than the body it possessed looked considering the shoes she was wearing. She turned a corner down a side street that a sign claimed was a dead end, and the horror probably knew the area better than he did. Still he charged forward, not even thinking about slowing down as he took the same corner and kept going.

Once down this particular street he did slow down a bit, suirrounded by the brick walls of the other buildings and no apparent way out beside the way he just came he discovered he was alone. Looking up at the roofs he didn't see her, and there was no place that he could see that she could hide. Carter was about to ask the pin on the left side of his coat if he could still detect it. Then he heard a scream from above and a tinny male voice cried out, “Carter move!” Quickly getting out of the way he turned around when he heard her hit the ground. She looked at him and snarled before pouncing at him. Carter was ready catching her and throwing her into one of the walls. She crashed hard against it and he went on the attack

She staggered against his punches. Somehow she started fighting back, first blocking his strikes then connecting with some of her own. On the defense Carter did his best to minimize the damage she could cause. The horror was also stronger than the woman looked as well. She grabbed at him so he ducked and ran passed her. Jumping up he planted a foot on the wall a behind her and kicked off, spinning around with a roundhouse kick that landed with a solid crack against her head. The woman went to the ground but was still moving. Carter took that moment to reach inside his coat and pulled out a black staff with gold looking inlay at the ends and the middle. Raising it up he tried to smash it down on the woman's head but she had already moved so all he got was the pavement under his feet.

She got up and Carter pressed his attack, striking with the staff almost at will. Then she grabbed the other end of the staff mid swing, and with a grunt swung him around and let go. Landing with a bone shaking thud. Carter rolled with the momentum of the impact to get to an unsteady knee. That shook him up more than he wanted to reveal at that particular moment. The woman tilted her head back and screamed as the horror revealed it's true self. Black leather like wrappings covered her entire body, it's eyes and mouth replaced by a closed zipper looking thing. The horror came at him again. He block the first swipe at his head with the staff. Then it reached in with the other hand and grabbed him by the shirt and threw him with all she had into the other wall.

Trying to regain his senses as fast as he could Carter gripped the other end of the staff and pulled, revealing the hidden blades that were inside. In response the Horror's wrapping seemed to come undone as a whip like object uncoiled from her forearms. She snapped them a bit before moving in his direction. Carter did his best to avoid the whips, the only real protection he had outside of his blades was the magical seal on his coat but that didn't cover everything, as proven when a end got through his defenses and hit his cheek, snapping his head around. His hand went to it on instinct he pulled it away to see some blood on the back of his fingers. The Horror seemed to enjoy the damaged she caused by the way she was moving. Ignoring the stinging feeling on his cheek he twirled the dual blades in his hands for a bit before resetting into a new defensive stance.

The Horror started moving her arms around again snapping those whips at him. Thinking he had her attack figured out he ran into the whips swinging his blades to deflrct what he could, A quick snap kick knocked the Horrors head back since it wasn't expecting his sudden aggression. A few slashes from his blades caused her to retreat a bit. With the extra space she altered her strategy and started attacking with her legs as well. Carter found himself back on the defense thanks to the added limbs, then she started jumping around, trying yo attack him from different angles. The attacks were coming at him so fast he could barely keep up. Then the her foot caught the side of his head knocking him around. Momentarily stunned he felt one of those whip wrap around tightly around his throat. Instead of struggling his first instinct was to to try and cut it with one of the blades. The Horror was expecting this as the other one wrapped itself around one of his wrists as he tried to get the blade into position.

S

scikaiju

Feeling her trying to pull him back towards her he put up a fight to stay where he was. Feeling the whips tighten the more he fought against them he twirled the blades again until he had a reverse grip on them. With some effort he was able to connect them into the double bladed staff. Realizing what he was thinking of the Horror pulled tighter. With one last pull against her Carter held his weapon out in front of him and spun it once, cutting a circle of light in front of him. Then he jumped backwards using the Horror's own pull to get a bit more distance. Flipping over it he quickly aimed and hurled the double bladed staff like a javelin through the circle. He landed behind the Horror as it pierced the ground on the other side, already in it's transformed state. The interior of the circle began glowing once it pierced the it. Still kneeling Carter slightly nodded his head. Red pieces of armor flew out of the circle hitting the Horror as they passed and covered Carter. The blows caused her to release the whips grip on him to try and protect herself. She looked back to see a the unblinking blue eyes of a wolf like helmet stare back at her. A slight growl seemed to fill the air briefly before he charged forward.

Slowing down a bit as he got closer to bat the whips away he continued toward the Horror who started to back. She looked back to double check where the staff was and he saw his chance grabbing the closest arm and pulled her in to land a solid knee to her gut. Stumbling back she waved an arm wildly . Getting his left arm up it wrapped around his wrist again, but this times he reached out with his right to get a grip on the whip and pulled. A quick scramble allowed the Horror to reposition herself in order to stop from being pulled forward. They struggled in a deadly game of tug of war before the Horror jumped at him. Stumbling back from the sudden lack of tension he was caught with a knee to the face as she past. On the ground she started whipping him again, sparks flying off the armor. She kept wailing away trying to keep him down more than trying to hurt him. Again Carter grabbed one of the whips and pulled her forward, giving him the opportunity to get to his feet.

Seeing her getting ready to pull again, he gave her a taste of her own medicine by letting go. She took a few unsteady steps back as he charged, connecting with a straight elbow strike to the head. Dazed the Horror didn't have any chance to protect herself as he started throwing punches, knees and kicks at her. Grabbing her by the neck he ran toward the bladed staff still in the ground. Once close enough he grunted and swung her over head, making sure she was impaled on the other end. Stepping back the Horror exploded as it hung there, now sealed inside the blade for the moment.

Pulling the staff free the armor returned to the circle that appeared above him momentarily. Hand going to his still bleeding cheek he just looked at the blood before seperating the weapon and returning it to it's staff form. On his chest the Gothic looking pin spoke up, “That was the only Horror I detected back there, it should be clean, more or less. Who knows what goes on in those rooms,” it added when Carter looked down at it.

“Not our business Xypher,” he told him.

“But how didn't anyone else back there not know what was going on?”, he went on. “Someone had to have notice that clients were disappearing from back there. Maybe even the other workers.”

“The Horror had help,” Carter mused, thinking it over. “Somebody, or the... entire... group...,” he trailed off as a thought occurred to him, “Jules.” Without another word he ran out of there and back to the house.

Reaching it he stopped in what was left of the doorway and looked inside fearing the worst. But there she was sitting cross legged on the counter, examining a riding crop in her hands. She looked up seeing him and smiled, “Hi honey.”

Carter lowered his head as he leaned against the door jam. Forcing himself to calm down he looked back up before entering the room, “What happened?”

“The madam or what ever you'd call here was in league with the Horror. After the two of you left after putting on the impromptu show she went after me saying 'we killed her, we killed them all', that sort of thing. After all the other ladies ran for the hills I was able to knock her out and put her in,” she pointed the crop at another door in the room, “the toy room I think they call it. I thought about tying her up but I figured she might enjoy it when she came to.” Jules then saw the wound on his cheek. She hopped off the counter and walked toward him. Reaching inside her coat she retrieved a handkerchief that she started dabbing against his wound, making him wince a little from the renewed stinging sensation. “I swear I don't know what you did before I came into your life. Are you okay?”

“I'm fine, it's just a scratch,” he told her. “I'm pretty sure it already stopped bleeding.”

“Uh-huh,” she commented as she pulled the handkerchief away and looked at the small bits of his blood staining it. “I don't think it's going to leave a scar so nothing majorly or magically medical is going to be needed.” She continued to dab at the wound. “So how long did it take for you to come rushing to my rescue?

“I knew you could handle anything here. So there was no need to worry,” he said.

“Lair,” Xypher quipped. Carter quickly flicked him in response.

Still Jules smiled at her future husband,”Nice try, but I do appreciate the thought. Just remember the...”

“Handle everything part,” he finished for her. Jules finally stopped messing with the wound, satisfied it wasn't going to bleed any more. “We better report this to the Watchdogs, and let them know some witnesses got away.”

She frowned, “That's going to be a fun conversation. We better let K-Byte know as well, just so he can keep a look out for any online talk about this one and he can inform Alexander who can track them down.” Nodding and with nothing else to do here Carter headed for the door to leave. Jules was right behind him, still playing with the crop, swinging it around and the like. Suddenly Carter turned around and took it from her. He look at it then at her before throwing it so it landed behind the counter before leaving.

More upset that he thought he could just do that more than anything Jules protested, “I wasn't going to use it.” Clasping her hands behind her back as she followed him out she softly added, “Much.”

S

scikaiju

Waking up the next Morning Jules sat up and stretched. Looking over at the window she guessed it was still morning, then she looked at Carter who was still sleeping next to her. The way he described the fight with the Horror she figured he needed the rest and tried to not wake him as she got out of bed. Taking a quick shower and getting dressed she re-entered the bedroom and looked him. Knowing Carter he'd probably be up soon any way, she thought she had his morning routine somewhat down at this point, at least when he generally tended to wake up. As often as they been sharing the same bed for these past few months she had better.

Deciding that she was going to surprise him by making breakfast before his usual work out Jules quietly exited the room and headed down stairs. Maybe say good morning to Xypher as well, seeing how she sort of missed talking to the pin. Granted before now she usually left a small message for Carter with him before she left for her own place she still liked talking to him. And maybe check to make sure he was okay with how things were going between her and Carter. At least that was the plan before she spotted some guy she never seen before look likr he was tidying up the front hallway. Well dressed and maybe in his fifties if she had to guess, he paid her no attention at first.

Moving down a couple of steps he finally looked up and noticed her. “Good Morning Miss, I do believe the name is Jules. It's a pleasure to finally met you after all this time.” He approached her with an extended hand.

Not sure what else to do she took it, but she was still confused about who this guy was and what he was going here. A quick glance at the front door behind didn't show any sign he broke in. “It's a...um... pleasure to met you as well. Who are you exactly?”

He looked surprised, “What am I thinking? I should introduce myself to the future lady of the house.” Letting go of her hand he stood a little straighter and pulled on his vest to adjust it a bit, “I am Mason, I'm the servant for Rook.”

Here she thoughr she had him, “Carter doesn't have a servant.”

He sighed more than stiffen like she thought he would, “Yes I should have figured he wouldn't have mention me. As I said I'm the servant for Rook, as in who currently holds the title, which at the moment is Carter.” He went on with what he was doing before she interrupted.

She followed him, still a bit suspicious of the guy, “Then how come I've never seen you before now?”

“Well it is a rather long story,” Mason told her. By her expression she made it clear she wasn't going any where, “As I'm sure you've surmised I was serving the previous Rook when Carter took on the title. However he made clear his discomfort of having some one like myself around.” She nodded, that did sound like the Carter she knew. “So he told me to keep serving the previous Rook and his family, which I am doing. But it didn't feel right, like I was foregoing my commitment to Rook. So after a talk with him and the previous title holder Carter agreed that I could come in two to three days a week to make sure everything is in it's place and his cupboards are fully stocked.”

Now some things she noticed before were making a bit more sense. “You're the reason why some of the things I like have been around here now.”

He confirmed her theory with a simple, “Yes.” He suddenly looked pleased about something, “In fact that was the first time he specifically requested that I pick up anything. So I realized right away how much you meant to him.”

Despite herself Jules smiled at this bit of news, she knew he was a bit of a softie deep down. “Carter told me a little about the previous Rook and his family. I get the feeling the two oldest daughters wouldn't exactly be happy with this situation.”

Mason sighed again, “That would be true of Nancy, Mr. Eric's middle child. She always seems a bit upset when I return from making sure things were all right here, even refusing to speak to me depending on her mood. His oldest, Silvia, wasn't happy either but she has gotten over it, knowing I'm just doing the job I was assigned.” He looked thoughtful for a moment. “Lillian, the youngest daughter, surprised both Mr. Eric and myself when she stated her displeasure in the arrangement.”

“Really?”, Jules asked, a bit surprised ast this new. Did Carter know about this? “Carter has been under the impression that she was the only one of the three who actually liked him.”

“And she is,” Mason quickly said. “It was more of the forced change of her usual routine that upset her more than anything, she is a bit of a creature of habit,” he added with a slight smile. “But like Silvia she has gotten over it. A little quicker than her older sister I might add.”

He opened the door to the den and they both went inside. Jules excused herself past him and went to the desk and removed the cover from Xypher's stand. “Morning Xypher,” she chimed.

“Morning Jules,” he replied. “I see you finally met Mason.” Okay she got the confirmation that he was at least who he said he was that she was looking for.

“Yes I have, you or Carter could have told me about him before now.” , she tapped the pin on the head, Mason seemed amused by the gesture,

Mason walked over to the desk and start looking through various piles of paper that was on it, “Before I forget Makai Priest Alexander stopped by to deliver a message,” this perked her interest. “Ah here it is, a K-Byte?”, he looked to her for confirmation of the name. When she nodded he continued, “Well he requests yours and Carter's presence before your upcoming nuptials.”

“I'll try to convince Carter to go,” she said taking the message in hand. “I assume you know how hard that can be at times.”

Again Mason just nodded with an amused look, “Now if you will excuse me Miss, I'll start breakfast for the two of you.”

“But I was..,” he was already out of the room before she could finish her thought.

“Let him,” Xypher told her. “Mason enjoys cooking for others. The old man always said his cooking was the best. Never in front of his wife though”

Blowing out a breath she tried to take this new bit of information in. And she was going to have to ask Carter why he never told her about Mason to begin with. At least interrogate the pin a little harder.

S

scikaiju

Carter reconnected the staff as he watched the four ax like blades retracted back to the ceiling. He was a bit off today, at least he thought so. And he knew the reason, Jules found out about Mason. And it wasn't the idea she was mad at him for keeping him a secret. But the slight disappointment in her face bothered him. Really there was no real reason to hid his existence from her, he just hated the idea of somebody waiting on him hand and foot. And honestly he should have mention ed she might meet him sooner rather than later. She left after a bit, saying she had something to do and that she'd be back later. Carter had no reason to not believe her, but something was still nagging him in the back of his mind. “I still have a lot to learn about being part of a couple, don't I?”, he looked over to his coat hanging on the wall.

“You said it, I didn't,” Xypher responded. “I know this is still pretty new to you, but even the old man had a simpler time once he married his wife.”

“Guess I'm a bit too much like my father,” he mused. Another thing that was bothering him today. He sent an invitation for him and his mother to attend his and Jules' ceremony weeks ago. So far nothing, not even anything saying they wouldn't be attending. He looked at the staff in his hands, maybe taking on the title of Rook bothered him more than Carter thought. One problem at a time he told himself, deal with the relatively smaller one first. “Can you think of anything else Jules might be in the dark about?”

“Not unless you're hiding something from me too,” he told him. “Just give her a bit of time. She was getting curious at how well kept the place was if you recall.” He did but said nothing as he walked over and retrieved his coat, putting it on He figured he do some gate hunting beforer nightfall, hopefully run into Jules along the way so they could talk things out. Carter opened the door that led to main building above and saw her standing there, along with a rather big steamer trunk and another Makai Priest.

“Oh, hi Carter,” she said noticing him. And realized he was staring at the trunk. “Okay, I should have asked first, but.” She glanced at the other priest who got the hint and excused himself for the moment. “But since I'm going to officially move in after we're married I figured I should start bringing more of my things over to save time later.”

“Makes sense,” he told her and it did. “But why bring it down here?”

“All right here's were I should have asked first.” she moved past him and into the training room. “This trunk contains a lot of my equipment and books. I figured since you have this whole room you're not really using,” crossing the room she opened a side door revealing another room empty except for a layer of dust on the floor. “That I can use it as a workshop. I'll keep my books and equipment in here so it doesn't get in the way.”

Carterr looked at the room for a second before going, “It might be a bit crowded if you want to use the space for a workshop. Especially if you put in a work bench.” She looked a bit disappointed before he added, “We can keep the books in the den upstairs at least.”

Realizing what he was saying Jules quickly hugged him around the waist saying, “Best future husband ever.” Then she hurried off leaving Carter to briefly wonder why Mason hasn't touched this particular room at all since he made it clear just his bedroom was off limits.

“She really had to twist your arm there didn't she,” Xypher commented after a couple of seconds, with a bit of humor in his voice.

Carter look in the room again, before closing the door, “I had to be keeping it empty for a reason.” Xypher couldn't see the slight smirk on his face as he said that.

Once upstairs they entered the den. Jules kept talking plans for the room. “Now I'm going to have to go through both our book collections, I'm sure there's going to be doubles somewhere. I can keep any duplicates I have downstairs in my new workshop.”

“We can go through them,” he told her. “You don't have to do it all by yourself.” He stopped talking when she saw her look at the desk. Then he noticed what she was looking at, a red envelope singling the Watchdogs had an assignment for him.

Jules looked particularly unhappy at this, “They do know we're getting married soon, don't they?”, she asked. “I don't want them wearieng you out before then.”

“What have you two been doing in the bedroom then?”, Xypher asked her. Carter quickly flicked him, “Ow! I'm just asking.”

“Thank you,” Jules said as Carter approached the desk. Taking the envelope in one hand and his Madou lighter in the other he ignited a corner with the blue flame.

Letting go as it was completely consumed the ashes of the envelope rearranged themselves to form a message in the Makai language that hung in the air. Just long enough for him to read it.“A team of two Horrors have appeared. Go home to get details on the two,” Carter said out loud

“Go home?”, Jules repeated. “Something here has these details?” She looked at the books on the selves, “That go through is going to take longer than I thought.”

“I don't think they meant here exactly,” Carter said, not looking particularly happy. There was only one other home that they could be talking about. Although he wasn't sure what could be there either.

S

scikaiju

The wooded path they walked on was perfectly peaceful, particularly with the sounds of a nearby brook in the back ground. While Carter was bombarded by memories of growing up here next to him Jules took everything in. “It's lovely out here,” she commented. She stopped seeing a rope tied to a tree that wasn't that far off. “I never took you for the swinging from the tree type.” He stopped and quickly located it and snorted a bit. He remembered that particular tree being bigger for some reason, then he started back down the path. “A little far from the house, isn't?”, Jules asked as she rejoined him.

“I put it there,” he told her. “Father thought that sort of thing was frivolous and not necessary to my training. I'm pretty sure he knew about it. As you saw I didn't really do that good a job at hiding it.”

“Maybe he wasn't as against it you thought he was,” she offered. Saying nothing in response she added, “I mean he had plenty of time to take it down since then.” still he said nothing, mainly because he never really considered that. “So,” she said breaking the short silence, “you and you dad haven't spoken since you took up being Rook?”

“No,” he answered softly.

“Have you tried?”

“Of course I tried,” he snapped at her. “I've haven't heard a word from him. Not one. Not even if he's coming to the wedding.”

Xypher choose then to speak up, “Carter calm down. You don't have to take it out on Jules.”

“I'm not,” he began. Then he looked up at Jules and immediately felt like a jackass. “Sorry,” he told her, “It's just.”

“It's a sore spot,” she said for him.”I get it, I really do. So I'm not going to kick your ass for it this time. But next time,” she pointed a finger at him before breaking out in a small smile they walked the path a bit more before she said, “I have to admit, I never thought you could get that upset about anything. Yes there was that whole thing with Morgan and his family.” His anger flared briefly, but not at her this time. Just the idea all four lives was cut short like that, especially the kids. He could see the anger rise in her too a bit seeing her former teacher was the culprit.

Getting herself out of that particular mood she told, “If nothing else I get to meet my future in-laws. I hope you appreciate that I'm fighting the urge to ask if you think'll like me.”

“They're going to love you,” he told her anyway. And since they were on the topic of the wedding, “Are you're parents planning on coming.”

“Mom is,” she said. “Dad's not sure he can get away in time, Having a regular job ever since they stepped away from things is really taking up his time.” He nodded, knowing that occasionally a Makai Priest would retire from the order after a certain age. But while officially they're supposed to cut all ties once they entered the outside world some connection were still kept.

“Carter!”, a new voice called out. Both of them looked up to see an older woman with light brown hair further up the path waving at them. Once he waved back she jogged toward them. “Come here, she said once she was close enough to engulf him in a big ol' hug that he returned. She held him at arms length after she stepped back, “Let me get a good look at you. Yup. You're a full fledged Knight all right.” A finger started examing his cheek, the one that took the whip hit the night before, “And about as careful as one too it seems.” Turning toward Jules she went, “And is this who I think it is?”

“Mom.” he said, “this is Jules.”

“It's a pleasure to meet you,” Jules told her, extending a hand. Instead she was pulled into another big hug. And Jules was finding it a little hard to breath at the moment from the look of it. Carter tried to get his mother to realize this.

When she finally let go she said, “So you're the one trying to make an honest man out of my boy.”

“I'm going to try Mrs. Greystone,” she said in jest. His mother gave her a smile realizing it. Taking both their hands she led them to the house which was now in view. Carter mind went into overdrive as memories of growing up flashed through his mind. The single story house didn't look like it changed a bit since he had been gone,

“Now let's stop it with this whole 'Mrs. Greystone' nonsense dear. You make me sound like a grandmother and I'm not ready to be one of those just yet, you hear me Carter. If you don't feel comfortable calling me 'mom', at least call me Judith.”

:Ah.. alright Judith,” Jules said in response. She looked over at Carter when she let go of their hands .and walked forward toward the house.

“Paul!”. She yelled, “Paul! They're here!” from behind the house came an older gentleman, who Carter obviously got his hair color from not to mention some of his looks. Behind him came another male, based on his dress Carter could tell he was another Makai Knight, maybe still a trainee based on his clothing and how young he looked, maybe a couple of years young than he and Jules. But mainly from how far he stayed behind his father, Carter remembered having to do the same back when he was training under him.

Trying not to show the trepidation he was feeling Carter walked forward to his Father. The two of then just stared at each other for a moment before Carter reluctantly put out a hand and said, “Father.” The other man looked at the offered hand then at him.

“Carter,” he said without taking his hand then walked to his wife and past her leaving Carter fighting to keep his disapointment from show. Turning to follow he saw his mother and Jules looking at him, both knew him well enough to see it. Jules mouthed the word “wow” while his mother shook her head.

“Uh.. hi,” the other man, who stayed behind, said. “I'm Marcus,” he offered a tentative hand of his own. Looking to see where his father went Carter took the offered hand. Which caused a great wave of relief to wash over him, seeing how he visibly relaxed. Continuing he said, “I've been training under you father for the past few months. I guess I been chosen to take over for him as a Makai Knight.”

“Good to meet you Marcus,” Carter said. But he was confused about something, “You're still in training?”

“You look old enough to be a full fledged Knight to me,” Jules added. He started looking embarrassed about his situation. In all honesty Carter might have been too if he was in his shoes

“It's Paul dear,” his mother cut in, and again Marcus looked a bit relieved. “But he's bring stubborn and saying he's not ready to take it yet.”

Looking at Marcus he asked, “The sword?” the other man nodded, and now he understood. Although Jules seemed a bit confused by what he was talking about. He would have to remember to explain it to her later.

“I keep thinking there's a trick to it but he says there isn't one,” Marcus went on.

“That's because there isn't a trick,” his father said sharply coming up behind the group. Jules and Marcus jumped a little. Being used to this particular habit Carter and his mother barely reacted outside of looking at him. “It's just a sword like any other. And you didn't introduced me to her.”

“You walked off before I could,” Carter shot back. Paul didn't look impressed by it, or shocked for that matter, he just looked his son over once. “Any way, this is Jules, my fiance,” Jules held out a hand that his father apparently completely ignored, making her to take a couple of steps back. Which raised Carter's ire a bit. Apparently sensing it his mother stepped between them. Finally his father took the offered hand for a quick shake and let go.

Then out of the blue, “And I'm Xypher. You could say I'm Carter's original partner.”

Paul took a good look at the pin on the left side of his coat, “Saddled with one of those things I see.” He turned away, heading back to the house, “Watchdogs sent you here for a reason, let's see why.” His mother looked at Jules apologetically before heading back herself.

“Bad enough someone called me a do-dad, now someone else is calling me a thing,” Xypher complained as he, Jules and Marcus followed them.

Back at the loft the male was walking the wooden rail like a tight rope. He whined, “How much longer. I want to meet sonny boy before he gets too boring to entertain me.

Below having moved to a old sofa the woman read the cards in front of her, “Soon Sean, soon. They do need to find us first. They have to learn about the old 'us' before then.”

“He better not take too long Lucille,” he said. Then he stopped and looked down at her,“Hold it a tick. 'They'? He's not alone?”

Slowly shaking her head she told him, “No. Not only is Marcus coming along for the ride but he has a Makai Priest for a partner.” she read something else in the cards that she didn't share with him. This Priest was more than just a partner to the Knight. This bit of information made her want to end this person and partnership personally.

S

scikaiju

At some point since he left his parents, more than likely his mother, had installed a swing bench on the front porch of the house. She and Marcus, who was carrying his father's sword for him, currently occupied the bench while Jules took an old stool to sit on. Carter, who was trying to figure out why the sight of Marcus holding that sword was bothering him, stood by her as they all looked across the porch at his father. “What did the Watchdogs tell you exactly?” Short and to the point just like he remembered.

So Carter kept his response short as well, “Only that details on the Horrors would be here, nothing else.” Not that he had much more than that to begin with.

Paul readjusted his stance a bit as he crossed his arms and lowered his head and grunted, “Cryptic bastards as always.” Then he added, “I don't see why they had to send for you.” Jules sucked in a breath as Carter entire body stiffened up a bit.

“Paul,” his mother quickly snapped at him. He looked up at them like he didn't know he said anything wrong.

Jules turned in her seat so she was looking at her and Marcus. “So do either of you have any idea why we were sent here first?”

Looking right at Paul, almost daring him to stop her, she said. “About two nights ago, Paul and Marcus caught word of these two Horrors and went to investigate. They came back in worse shape than they left, particularly your father. But that's something I've seen before, so I wasn't that concerned at first.”

Jules leaned in a bit closer, “So what happened that night?”

“I knew them,” Marcus spoke up. Paul shot him a look Carter didn't recognize on him before. “Or I used to,” he corrected himself. “They were students at the same training school that I went to.”

“Do these two have a name?”, Carter asked.

He nodded, “Sean Lastings and Lucille Trevor. Sean was my best friend. Lucille, she could have been somebody special, she … was special. I mean it just never worked out.”

Curious at his wording Jules went, “Define special.”

He was reluctant to answer but Judith urged him on, “Go ahead dear, tell them what you told me. They need to know.”

He took in a deep breath before saying, “She was a Makai Guide, or she tried to be any way.”

“Whoa,” Jules said suddenly, “There's some of those still around?” Not familiar with this term Carter looked at her for clarification. She obliged but she was still stunned at this bit of news. “Essentially they're a Makai Priest who can read the fates. But for some reason it became a lost art.”

“It's pretty much an dead art based on what I understood,” Judith chimed in. “The order didn't see any reason to keep it around based on my findings.”

Marcus went on, “She never really planed on being one to begin with. She discovered she had a gift for it by accident, after messing around with an old deck of cards she found one day. She claimed she saw something as a joke and it came true. We were a little freaked out at the time but we convinced ourselves it was just a coincidence. Then it happen again and again. The teachers there were encouraging her to develop this particular gift up until she started revealing some secrets they didn't want known. Then they forced her to stop it and took away the cards.”

“What happened then?”, Jules asked.

“Sean and me found the deck they took and secretly gave it back to her,” he answered. “We helped her practice when everyone was supposed to be a sleep. She got pretty good at it, but she had a limit to her abilities.”

Carter spoke up, “What sort of limit are we talking about?”

“It's hard to explain, at least that's what she always said. “The further in the future she tried to look the more variables that came into play that could change it. So she only looked a day or two ahead at most.”

“Imagine what she could do if they didn't try to stop her,” Jules commented. “Any idea what happened to her after you guys left the school?”

“We kept in touch off and on,” he answered. “Last I spoke to her she was in it deep with a Makai Knight she met, they were even talking about a marriage ceremony at some point.” She and Carter silently exchanged looks but said nothing, but both were worried about how this particular tale was going to end. Marcus added, “Then I got word that it ended messily. She caught him cheating on her with another Makai Priest. He apparently even struck her when she confronted him about it.”

“And there it started,” Jules muttered to herself. Carter understood what she meant, the moment darkness entered her heart and left her open to a being possessed by a Horror.

“What about Sean?”, Carter asked him. “Did you hear anything about him after you all left.”

“No,” he said dropping his head a bit. “He cut off all contact with everybody he knew after he got kicked out of the school. He was caught selling artifacts on the black market and fighting those outside of the Order for money. He was really angry when they did. I figured that was the cause of his eventual fall.”

“That wold be my guess too,” Carter told him. His father nodded in agreement, He was going to say something else when he took a good look at the sword in the other man's hands, finally understanding what was bothering him. He grabbed it before Marcus could react. He examed it, even pulling it out of it's sheath a bit. Something was wrong here. Looking at his father he went, “Where's your sword?”

Stiffening up a bit he told him, “It's in your hands.”

“No it's not,” he stated plainly. “It been altered to look like it but it's not the one I grew up around. What happened to it?”

“I told you he'd notice,” Judith mumbled a little too loud.

“Sean took it,” Marcus said over Paul's souring expression. “When we confronted them they locked us in some sort of tarot card like environment and pretty much batted us around. After a bit he stopped and said we weren't worth the trouble to even eat. Paul still went at him but Sean knocked him away and walked off with the sword.”

“Enough!”, Paul barked at him and walked away, obviously embarrassed over this being revealed. Carter watched him go before motioning for Jules to follow him to the other side of the porch.

Just loud enough for him to hear she said, “You want me to contact K-Byte?”

“The first chance you get,” he said. “If Sean got kicked out of the Order then he had to start having some sort of trail he can track down.” Stepping away he spoke to Marcus, “Come with me,” he said.

“Where?”, he asked getting up.

“I figured we could spar for a bit,” he said. “I want to see how good the man they picked to take over for my father is.” Carter realized how ironic that statement was considering how he was chosen to become the current Rook. Marcus seemed to accept this and followed him off the porch and to the practice yard. “Besides if you impress me, maybe I'll teach you.”

“Teach me what?”, he asked.

Carter looked around for his father before saying, “The trick to using the sword. Your going to need to know it once we get it back.” Marcus looked at him in disbelief.

S

scikaiju

Standing alone in the living room Jules looked at the silver orb in her hand. A voice came from it saying, “I'll get right on that Jules.”

Satisfied with the response Jules said, again making sure she wasn't being overheard, “Thanks K-Byte. Me and Carter will be over later to see what you found.” The orb flashed briefly indicating the hacker ended the communication link. Pocketing the orb she went to the room Carter's mother went into. It felt weird sneaking around like this but her and Carter both agreed that the fewer people who knew about the hacker the safer he would be. He was lucky someone a little more open minded had found him when he got caught. And while she considered him a friend at this point, he's also been more than helpful since the Watchdogs told Carter about him. Mainly letting them know about potential Horror activity when he found rumors online. Or helping them find locations like that club from last night.

Entering the side room Jules was surprised that it was empty. She was sure this was the door she entered. “Judith?”, she called out.”

“Out here dear,” came the response. It still took a bit of searching to find another door that lead to the outside. Jules walked onto another porch of sorts that wasn't visible from the front of the house. Judith was sitting in a rocking chair looking out at something. Following her gaze she saw Carter and Marcus sparing with wooden training swords. “Have a seat,” she said motioning to the chair next to her. She did so as the older woman continued,” I had Paul build this for me before Carter was born. Just so I could make sure any child we had was going to be alright during the training he was going to put him through. But they do seem to go out of there way to get themselves hurt though, don't they?”, she said with a bit of a grin, and tapping her cheek. Indicating the mark Carter currently had.

“I thought you were going to blame me for it for a moment there,” Jules told her.

She took her hand and patted it, “Jules dear, not only did I marry a Knight, my father and brother were ones too. I learned a long time ago that the word 'careful' isn't in there vocabulary.” Letting go she added, “Not often enough anyway. So blaming you didn't enter my mind. That's a lie, it briefly crossed it the moment I saw it. But then I remembered that he's a Knight.There's been times Paul pretty much came crawling through the door he was in such bad shape.” Leaning back into her chair she sighed, “You'll learn what I'm talking about soon enough I suppose, especially when you become a mother.” Then her mood changed again as she looked at her with a smirk, “But not too soon now.”

She smiled back, “I understand Judith.”

She nodded as she rocked back and forth. Then she said, “I have to be honest with you dear, I did do some checking on you after I found out you and Carter became engaged.” Jules wasn't exactly sure where this was heading so she waited for her to continue. Didn't mean she wasn't worried about what she might have heard. “You're trained to fight Horrors,” she said after a bit. “Believe it or not I'm glad that you are. It means he's not out there by himself every night now.”

“I try to hold my own,” she told her. “It's not easy some times.”

“I'm sure,” Judith said. “Actually part of me is a little jealous. Makai Priest weren't usually trained to fight when I was growing up. We were taught to support the Knights, not fight with them. There were days I wished I was able to fight outside of self defense. Particularly on the nights Paul barely made it home.” She left that hanging in the air for a bit.

“Look at me,” she then said, “talking about my wants when I should be getting to know you better. So how did you met Carter?”

“My old mentor introduced us,” she answered her. “They were meeting up about a small assignment he was just given by the Watchdogs. I just happen to be there.”

“And this was after Carter was given the Rook mantle?”, she asked.

“Yes, he had it for about a year I want to say. But he was definitely Rook at that point.” She gestured toward the two sparing Knights, “In fact this the first time I've ever seen Carter use a single sword in any sort of situation.” Judith seemed to understand this. And Jules knew what she wanted to ask but wasn't sure how to bring it up without causing an issue with her future mother-in-law. Figuring it was best to come right out and ask it than beating around the bush.she was still cautious as she asked, “What did you and Paul think of Carter being chosen to replace another Makai Knight.”

“Why do you ask?”, Judith said looking at her.

“Because Carter seems to think his Father is upset with him for it. And they way he was acting toward him earlier it's hard to disagree with him.”

Judith sighed again, “I wish I could too. Paul practically had to push him to accept. So I have no idea what happened to cause this rift between them.” Jules relaxed a bit just finding out she saw it as well. “Part of me wants to say it's just Paul being Paul but after earlier I have no idea. I guess that means we have to bang their heads together until they work it out,” she said with a mischievous grin that Jules shared.

After using the Rook sword for the past couple of years Carter had to admit it felt strange going back to a single sword. But he was trained from a young age with a single sword, so he got back into the rhythm of it fairly quickly. And he had to admit Marcus was pretty good himself, especially when he realized how rusty Carter was a first. He went in right away, trying to make sure Carter didn't have a chance to get use to it again.

This went on for a while and Carter silently approved at how quick Marcus was adapting his own strategy as it went alomg. While he could see his father's influence in his style there was bits that he wasn't familiar with, more than likely from whomever taught him originally. He was seeing the same in Carter he was sure. But Carter had learned to meld all he had learned to come up with something thast was his own and after a bit started using that to finally gain an advantage over Marcus, ending the duel by knocking his practice sword away then placing the edge of his at Marcus' neck. He yielded in defeat and Carter removed the weapon accepting the win. They both bowed to each other. “You're good,” he told him.

Knowing how his father was a bit stingy with the complements Carter wasn't shocked that he seemed more than a bit pleased at hearing it. “Thank you sir,” he responded pretty much automatically. With a raised eyebrow Carter walked over and put his practice sword down, then he picked up the sword his father tried to fool him with. Marcus perked up when he did so. “I'm surprised you said there was a trick to using it. Paul seems pretty insistent that there isn't.”

Grunting Carter told him, “That's because in his mind there isn't one.” Examining the handle he briefly wondered why he didn't see right away that this wasn't the family sword. “You either see how to use it or you don't. But he forgets that nobody else thinks like he does, not even his own son,” he added a bit darkly. Shaking that mood off he turned toward Marcus while drawing the blade. “Be honest, the first time you wielded the sword what did you notice?”

Marcus was reluctant to answer but he said, “That it felt like the balance was off some how, like it was heavier at the tip of the blade but that's not possible.”

“Well,” Carter started, “It feels like the balance is off because it is.” He held the sword in such a way that it was balancing on his thumb with a slight wobble. “My,” he took a second to think about it, Great, great grandfather had it done. We're not sure who he went to or how they did it but it's heavier at the tip of the blade by the time they were finished. Everybody assumes it was a Makai Priest but nobody can detect what was done, Mom couldn't even find a hint of a spell every time she tried.”

“So what's the trick?”, he asked. Carter heard the small bit of frustration in his voice, and having shared it growing up didn't want to call him on it.

“Again be honest,” he said instead. “You try to compensate for the weight, don't you?” Carter just looked at him, waiting. Eventually he nodded. “I made the same mistake. And I'm sure my father did too. But the trick is you have to use the added weight,” he started swinging the sword around to highlight his point. “I'm sure you watched him use it, how fluid he was in his motions, keeping the blade moving past where most of us are trained to stop it.” Continuously swinging the blade around in a circular path he went, “It's something so simple it never occurs to you until somebody points it out.”

Marcus seemingly understood what he was saying so Carter stopped what he was doing and handed him the sword. Taking it Marcus tried to swing it around like Carter had done. “When did he tell you how to properly use it?”

Crossing his arms he answered, “He didn't, I was going through the books in his den one time he was out and found my great grandfather's journals that he hidden away. He described how to use the sword in them in great detail, more than the basics I just told you.There's a hidden panel behind the jade horse in the den, it is still there isn't it?”

“It is, on the west wall,” Marcus told him.

Carter looked amused at this bit of news, “So he did move it after I left.”

S

scikaiju

“Carter!,” Jules called out. He looked over and saw her coming toward them. From where he was it looked important. Excusing himself he jogged toward her to meet in the middle. “K-Byte just got back in touch with me,” she said without prompting. “He thinks he found something, I told him we head over right away.”

He nodded, then looked over at Marcus and waved him over. “We might need him since he knows what to expect. We'll keep him away from K-Byte as best we can but anything he knows could help him refine his search.”

“All right but if he starts asking questions you're answering them,” Jules told him. Once he joined them Carter told him to follow them. Seeing his mother at her usual spot on the porch he waved at her as he passed. She waved back but didn't look happy, knowing they were going after the Horrors that defeated her husband.

Hanging upside down from the railing by wrapping his legs around one of the banisters Sean whined,”When?

Lucille flipped over one more card and studied it for a couple of long seconds. Then she started collecting the cards and rearranging them in a stack, “Soon.” Sean excirtdly clapped his hands before letting go of the banister. Flipping over before hitting the floor and landing on his feet. “Follow me,” she told him.

“Anywhere my lovely,” he told her as he readjusted his jacket before going out the door. “The stars should be absolutely gorgeous tonight.”

In the city Carter and Jules walked toward the knick knack shop that housed their Hacker friend. Marcus was keeping up behind them, although he would call out that they should be going to a different part of the city. But they ignored him which caused him to hurry in order to keep up. When the shop was in view, their companion finally shouted, “Hey! Hold it!” They both stopped and turned to face him, and he almost fell backwards it was so sudden.

To Carter she said, “Took him long enough.” He nodded and grunted in agreement.

Frustrated over the apparent test they put him under Marcus told them, “We found them in another part of the city. We should be headed there not doing,” he gestured in the general direction of the shop, “ whatever this is. Why are we even going this way?”

“And what are the odds they're still going to be where two Knights last saw them?”, Jules asked him. When it look like he didn't have an answer she continued. “We have a plan. You just have to trust us on this.”Not even waiting for him to respond they turned back toward the shop and continued toward it.It took a couple of seconds but Marcus eventually followed suit. At the door she said, “I thought we agreed that you were going to handle the questions.”

“Then don't jump in before I can respond,” Carter told her, although he did open the door for her.

Walking in Jules told him, “Now I'm sure I'm starting to rub off on you. I'm going to hate to see what you're going to be like after we're married.” Inside the familiar sight of the lone woman behind the counter reading a magazine greeted them. Smiling as she leaned on the counter Jules went, “Hi Cheryl.” she barely waved an acknowledgement. “Is he in the back? “

“Like always”, she said not looking up. “He said he was expecting the two of you. Oh and congratulations.”

“Thank you,” Jules told her. Then the two of them and Carter looked back at the door seeing that Marcus had finally decided to enter. While he took in the surroundings Jules turned back to the young woman. “I hate to ask but could you look after our friend here?”

Finally putting down her magazine she eyed Marcus, and didn't look all that impressed with what she saw. “As long as he doesn't bother the other customers.”

“Thank you again,” Jules said as they headed toward the back. Carter stopped Marcus from following them, which made neither him or Cheryl too happy.

Near the back of he store Xypher spoke up, “What other customers? It's always just us in here.” Cart flicked him as they approached wall that was obscured from view from the front of the store. Activating the hidden trigger the wall swung open revealing a hidden hallway. Crossing the threshhold it closed automatically behind them as they walked deeper in.to the inner sanctum. There was a computer that seemed to be part of a massive device of a particular Makai Priest design.In front of it was the person they were looking for.

“Yo,” he said in greeting while not looking away from the screen in front of him.

“K-Byte,” Carter said as he stood by the man.

Next him Jules went, “What did you find?”

“Well for one there are more people with the names you provided than you'd think,” he told he. “But all is not lost, thanks to you telling me that he was kicked out of your order I thought ahead to the next question and found this.” Hitting a few keys on his keyboard he looked up to a screen on the wall, and some very basic information appeared on it. “This is the oldest Sean Lastings with the freshest information that I could find.”

“Freshest?”, Jules said for the two of them, “I don't understand.”

He leaned back in his chair, “I mean this particular individual technically didn't exist until some time last year. I don't know who set him up but this is under 'bare bones' as you can get.” Seeing their confusion he elaborated, “I mean there should be something else here besides what you're seeing, a social security number, a state issued I.D. number, pictures from his last birthday, something. Something more than this at any rate.”

Looking at what was on the screen Carter asked, “Does this mean you can locate him?”

K-byte hesitated in answering right away, “Yes and no, mostly no.” Carter looking at him sharply made him add, “I mean the most current information I can find is still a few months old.” Then Carter looked over a Jules, she read the question that was on his face and nodded, that was more than likely the timeframe he was possessed by the Horror. Oblivious to the silent conversation that was going on K-Byte went on, “But I called you in because I was able to get his last known address. Now I don't go hunting Horrors as regularly as the two of you but I'm just guessing here that the Horror would stick to what the unlucky person knew personally.”

“It's never that simple,” Carter told him plainly.

Jules quickly added, “It depends on the Horror.”

“Fair enough,” the hacker told them, if he was offended by Carter's bluntness he didn't show a sign of it. “Any way that's the best I can do on him. That Lucille chick? She was better at staying off the grid then Sean was. Digitally speaking she's a ghost.Sorry guys.” Then he jumped out of his chair, “Now for the original reason I wanted the two of you to stop by.” While he went to another table in the room Carter shot her a questioning look. Motioning that she would explain later they followed him. “Now while I'm sure my invite to the wedding got lost in the mail.”

“Well K-Byte,” she began, unsure how to say this without offending him.

Then he made a motion like he was waving it off, “I'm just messing with you guys.I fully understand that it would be a problem explaining why a non Makai Order guys is at a Makai wedding. But I did have Alex whip up a wedding gift for me. He rummaged around the table until he found what he was looking for. Extending a hand as he turned to face them again. In it was a pair of sphere's, that outside of four blue markings on each, looked exactly the the ones they already had.

Staring at them Carter went, “I think we already have a set of those.”

He started grinning, “Not like these you don't. Go ahead and try it.” They each took a sphere and studied them intently. Carter was the one to see what the Hacker was talking about. Gently rubbing his thumb over it e said, “Jules.” It flashed like the old ones did to indicate that it activated. A second later an arrow shape symbol started to float in the air.. After a second he realized that it was pointing toward her. Moving the sphere around the arrow stayed pointed at her.

K-Byte chimed in, “They'll still contact any other communication sphere like normal. But that little homing feature is unique to this particular set. The'll lock on to each other no matter how far apart they are. I got the idea after that first little adventure that got us together, seeing how it would have been useful then.”

“Thank you K-Byte,” Jules told him as she gave the hacker a quick hug.

“Yes thank you K-Byte,” Carter told. The hacker just grinned and nodded,seeing how this is about as touchy feely Carter got with anyone who wasn't Jules. “Can we get a copy of Lastings last address? It might be useful since the person with us might be able to confirm if it's any where near he saw him.”

“Sure thing, “ he said getting back into his chair. Hitting a switch he said, “Hey kiddo, I'm sending something to the printer, have Carter and Jules' friend out there look it over to see if he recognizes the address.”

After a moment Cheryl responded, “You got it big guy.”

“She likes to feel involved now that's she knows something's going on,” he explain afterwards. “Keeps her less nosy about what's going on back here. Now is there anything else I can look up for you two? Another person, maybe another kinky club to spice up the ol' love live life?” This time both of them looked at the hacker. He put his hands up and rolled his chair back a bit, “Went too far with the joke, got it.”

Jules just shook her head slightly, “We'll see you later K-Byte.” And he waved as they headed for the door.

S

scikaiju

Lasting's last known address was only a few blocks from where Marcus had run into them. So at the moment the Hacker's assumption was correct. Not that Carter would admit it to the man, Just out of personal pride as someone who actually hunted Horrors if nothing else. But Jules was right when she mentioned that the behavior depended on the Horror. And seeing how the Horror possessed a person who was kicked out of the order it may be using the knowledge he had as well.Nobody said it out loud but all three of them knew that made these particular Horrors even more dangerous than usual, and that was before you took into account one of them supposedly had the talent to become a Makai Guide. “How close are we to where you made contact with them?”, Carter asked Marcus.

He looked around, turning several times as he thought it over, “We're a few streets away.” Then he looked around again, “I think, we didn't come this way, exactly.”

“Exactly, which way did you come in?”, Carter asked in return, trying hard to not make it sound like a demand. Just because he was getting frustrated didn't mean he could take it out on the Knight in training. And most of his frustration stemmed from the circumstances under which he met the man, and that was most definitely wasn't his fault.

“We came in from the south,” he answered.

“Well that helps a lot,” Xypher mumbled. Carter gave him a quick flick but said nothing when Marcus looked his way.

“I hate to say it,” Jules said to him, “but maybe we should have just headed to that address K-Byte gave us.” She looked back to see if Marcus was still following them. “It probably be a better starting point then where we're going.”

“K-byte said the information he had was a couple of months out of date,” Carter said. “Even if the Horror is using what Lastings knew about the area it's smart enough to realize that's were most people would start looking.”

“I like to point out,” Jules said, “That you didn't rule out completely that it wouldn't still be close by that location. And we're concentrating on Lastings and forgetting about Lucille,” Carter looked at her so she explained further, “She's possessed by a Horror too. They could be using what she knows of the area just as easily.”

Carter nodded then said, “It's possible. And more than likely what's happening. Which makes going to where Marcus and my father last saw them a good starting point.”

“Good to see you haven't lost all of your senses yet,” All three of them whipped around at the sound of the new voice. Behind them was his father Paul, holding a training sword. One made out of soul metal, but a training blade all the same. “Although you should have sensed me before now at least.”

“What are you doing here?”, Carter demanded as he stormed up to him before either Jules or Marcus could stop him.

Not looking all that impressed he said, “The same as you.”

Carter eyed him,” More like trying to get back your sword.” Here Marcus quickly moved to get between them and pushed Carter back a bit. He looked back to see Paul with an inscnsed look on his face. Enough of one that Jules quickly joined Marcus in trying to separate them. That still didn't stop Carter, “Tell me I'm wrong. You can't, can you?”

“Carter,” Jules muttered in a warning tone.

Xypher spoke up, “Carter I'm sensing a Horror!” Everybody stopped what they were doing and looked around, searching for any signs of it. Then the Pin added, “Two of them. Sort of, it's hard to tell.”

“Oh my,” they looked up to see Lastings standing on a balcony with Lucille sitting next to him, “Not exactly the happy family reunion I thought was going to happen.” He looked almost disappointed in this. “I discovered I have the taste for a happy family. They do have a particularly unique flavor to them. Wouldn't you agree my dear?” Lucille barely nodded as she started flipping over a set of card, one by one, which floated in the air after she let them go. “Maybe a day time talk show is in order, they are all the rage today. Almost makes me miss the simpler days of being in the order, almost,” he said with a wicked grin. “But you have to admit this modern world does have some wonders of it's own. All those delicious morsels just walking around all free range. Not that any of you would understand that particular insight,” he waved a dismissive hand at them. “Some things are lost on cattle after all.

Beside him Lucille kept flipping over and studying cards before one in her hand caught her attention. “Sean,” she held it up for him to look at. “The old one and the son. They both come for your latest trophy.” Carter felt his father stare at him after that revelation, but said nothing.

“Really now?”. Reaching behind his back he retrieved the sword in question. All of them below shocked that the Horror had no apparent problem holding it. “They want this back. Honestly I think it's broken some how. I did them a favor in taking it away from them. I mean I can barely use it so it has to be broken.Marcus,” he addressed the forth man in the group, “my old friend, didn't you tell them that I was was the best swordsman in our class? They seem stunned that I'm holding it properly.”

“My friend ceased to be the moment you took him over,” he said defiantly.

“Don't tell me you were jealous of my skills as well old friend,” he said looking disappointed again. “Well it does explain why you didn't argue all that much when the bitter old men expelled me because I was better than them. Hell I should have been the one teaching the classes and they knew it.”

“And all the artifacts you sold off and the fighting you did with the regular humans?”, Jules pointed out. She was forced back as a tarot card impaled itself in the street between her feet. She looked back up to see an intense looking Lucille staring right at her.

With another dismissive wave he said, “A trumped up charge they made up in order to get rid of me. Like I said I was the best one there so they made up an excuse to do so.”

“I doubt it,” Carter told him causing Sean to try to drill a hole in him by his eyes alone. Staring right back at him he held his ground. “It's been my experience that the best don't have to say they are. And those that do deep down realize that they're no where near as good as they think they are.”

“Have I mentioned I'm rubbing off on you,” Jules muttered.

“Nobody is disagreeing,” Xypher told her. “I'm only sensing these two.” With that Carter started to pull the staff from his coat.