...even Zamigo, who is barely there...
Yeah that's a weird one. I just looked up the actor and it looks like he's part of the main cast of a detective j-drama that's been airing since October 2017. Why cast him if he's busy with something else? I only hope it's a show that ends after one year so it frees him up to be in LuPat eventually.

D

Dr Kain

Also, I forgot to answer this. Utsunomiya is the main producer of those shows - he's the one who negotiates with Bandai regarding their theme, toys, designs, cast and general structure. Kobayashi was the script writer (for Shinkenger and Toqger, out of Utsunomiya's series). She comes after the big toy and thematic decisions have already been made and then has to write a story for that. In Utsunomiya's case, it seems like he also forces a very specific "show format" on the writers, considering how everyone who works under him has used a similar structure.

So basically Utsunomiya does not like villains. Why doesn't he just have the rangers fight air? It would have the same effect.

Man, Toei needs a modern day Sugimura. They should get Gen Urobutchy back for a Sentai show.

Yeah that's a weird one. I just looked up the actor and it looks like he's part of the main cast of a detective j-drama that's been airing since October 2017. Why cast him if he's busy with something else? I only hope it's a show that ends after one year so it frees him up to be in LuPat eventually.

Wow, Toei, wow. I wish this board had a head banging up against a wall emoticon because I definitely need it right now.

I think after we finish off this 2 parter we're going to take a break from Lupin for a bit and play catch up after there's a month or two worth of episodes to watch. Maybe it will make them less draggy.

I wouldn't say that. Both teams have been developed about the same.

I respect your opinion and I'm glad you see things differently, but I respectfully disagree. Though, feel free to tell me if I've missed something. When it comes to subtitled shows, anyone can overlook a passing detail or two. :)

They all have unique character quirks, sure. But the biggest difference between them is that the thieves actually have a motive for what they're doing, where as the police don't. The thieves each lost someone precious thanks to the Ganglers, and they want to either save those lost lives or get revenge. That is their entire motivation, but their quirks and the time they've spent together is breaking down that "every thief for themselves" mentality they started with, and now they are becoming close friends who actually care about each other. The police... have no motivation. It just seems like they're doing all this just because it's their job. They have no personal grudge against the Ganglers, and their personality quirks don't bring much to the job or their teamwork. (I know from a writing standpoint, the two teams are suppose to be as opposite as can be, but I think they are going a bit too far with this idea.) Keiichiro/Patren #1 is passionate about his job (ala Zenigata from Lupin III), but we still don't know why. We know that he looked up to police officers as a kid, but that doesn't explain his obviously deep-seeded hatred for the thieves. Did a thief kick his dog when he was a kid or something? Any kind of answer would be nice!

D

Dr Kain

As you said though, that is their job. They protect the people because they are required to do so. I don't see why they need to have a reason to do their job other than they want to get paid.

Now they have shown us what influenced Keichiro to become a police officer in the two parter when he promised the kid he would save the day. It may not be deep, but it's there. I'm just glad he's also not a whiny spastic brat like Ban was in Deka. Keiichiro actually has a personality and has a shade beyond forest.

As you said though, that is their job. They protect the people because they are required to do so. I don't see why they need to have a reason to do their job other than they want to get paid.

That's not a very good reason to cheer for them, and like I said before, it doesn't explain Keiichiro's extreme hatred for the thieves. If all he cared about was doing his job, upholding the ideals justice, or getting paid, he wouldn't go all Zenigata levels of angry when he sees them. Capturing the thieves would just be part of the job, no different than filling out paper work or anything else. But that's not the case. His anger is a PERSONAL grudge, one that has gone unexplained. You can't have it both ways, either all 3 PatRangers have a personal stake in this or they don't. And "it's just our job" might be an okay excuse in another show, but you're suppose to pick a side and cheer for them. The show's tagline even says "Whose side are you on?!". Kind of makes it hard for any audience member to cheer for the police if over half of them are emotionally unattached because "it's just a job" and only one of them has unexplained outbursts of anger. After all, they are more than just cops, they are suppose to be super heroes too.

In DekaRanger, it works because the characters genuinely believe in the justice they are fighting to protect and uphold. They've seen innocent people get hurt and killed, and it drives them. In Lupin VS Pat, there may be a sense of duty, but there's a lack of conviction from the police.
When Zenigata gets angry at Lupin III, it's because he's stopping international super thieves, and he hasn't caught them once in years. He's still trying even when many others have given up. Even if the Japanese police branch has stopped caring that much about Lupin III, Zenigata has all ready wasted much of his life trying to bring him to justice. It's personal.
But here? I understand the police wanting to stop the Ganglers, that's just par for the course of a super hero TV show. But their feelings for the thieves is confusing. They have more proof that the thieves are against the Ganglers instead of cohorts. It'd make sense if the police were also trying to collect the Lupin Collection just like the thieves, but they aren't; they are perfectly happy destroying it so that it doesn't fall into the wrong hands. Only Noel cares, but that's because he's a double agent, and he hardly counts since he wasn't even there for the first half of the show.

D

Dr Kain

Hmmmmmm, I guess I see what you mean as yeah, they do act like there is a personal vendetta towards the Lupinrangers. Maybe they got robbed as children? lol