lvp30-07.jpg

DO NOT VOMIT WHILE WEARING A HELMET!
This week: Keiichiro suddenly goes on vacation, the reds visit some hot springs, a little girl gets lost, Kairi buys a fetching hair pin, some gangsters appear in a follow-up to a previous episode, the MotW has finger farts, and another new mech combination.

D

Dr Kain

Well this episode went to ****.

What the hell happened to the writers of this show? Did they themselves take a vacation? They were doing so well for the first 20 episodes and ever since Noel came in the show has turned to crap. Nothing is happening. We still have nothing development wise on the villains, even Zamigo, who is barely there, the development for the rangers on both sides has come to a screeching halt, and the cool camerawork seems to have taken a hiatus. The last episode I truly enjoyed was the one with the French woman. That's not to say there haven't been decent ones, but nothing as thrilling since then.

I actually liked the conflict between Keiichiro and Kairi here. For once, the conflict actually felt personal and it seemed like Keiichiro had some growth (even though it's getting ignored in the next weeks)...

It's just a typical Utsunomiya produced series where after the basic set up the plot doesn't move until the last 10 or so episodes. The issue is that they frontloaded most of the relevant conflicts they could bring up regarding the basic premise (like the Lupinranger having to steal from a human, struggling with protecting people, not just recovering the collection, and the Patranger almost discovering their identities, struggling to keep up with them and being forced to team up) and now are just left spinning wheels, since the way the show was set up the characters apparently can't even have relevant backstory coming up until the final arc begins.

Usually, Utsunomiya's series have a big middle series villain at least, even if he's irrelevant for the final arc, but Lup vs Patranger somehow reduced that villain to a two parter, so there's even less variation than usual. Personally, I think Utsunomiya is the worst tokusatsu main producer working for Toei nowadays with a style that's actively detrimental to the staff of his shows. Unfortunately, until recently he had a string of successes in spite of himself (Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Toqger), with only his one Kamen Rider entry (Wizard) not doing well . Thankfully, neither Zyuohger nor Lupin vs Pat have performed well, so maybe that will bring about some change in the future.

D

Dr Kain

Lupin vs Pat is the higest rated Sentai show in years, I'd say that is definitely a win.

I just hope things get moving finally. Though, I thought Shinkenger was Kobayashi, not Utsnomiya.

ToQGer was a success though?

Lupin vs Pat is the higest rated Sentai show in years, I'd say that is definitely a win.

Actually the shows ratings is making it one of the lowest which is currently averaging at 2.98% and on par with Kyurangers overall average.

3HHhwJT.png

I actually liked the conflict between Keiichiro and Kairi here. For once, the conflict actually felt personal and it seemed like Keiichiro had some growth (even though it's getting ignored in the next weeks)...

It's just a typical Utsunomiya produced series where after the basic set up the plot doesn't move until the last 10 or so episodes. The issue is that they frontloaded most of the relevant conflicts they could bring up regarding the basic premise (like the Lupinranger having to steal from a human, struggling with protecting people, not just recovering the collection, and the Patranger almost discovering their identities, struggling to keep up with them and being forced to team up) and now are just left spinning wheels, since the way the show was set up the characters apparently can't even have relevant backstory coming up until the final arc begins.

Yeah. That fight between Lupin Red and Patren #1 was the highlight of the episode, in an understated sort of way. Up until now, the thieves were either aloof about the the police, or just annoyed that they stood in their way of collecting the Lupin Collection. But here, in this fight, neither of the Reds were willing to give in inch. For a split second, they were probably ready to gun each other down if necessary. And as much as Kairi (Lupin Red) might hate to admit it, he is now beginning to hate Keiichiro (Patren #1) just as much Keiichiro hates the theives. When Patren #1 (begrudgingly) asks him to save the day in his place, Lupin Red hesitates. He's still in battle mode and doesn't quite trust him, probably waiting for Patren #1 to try and shoot him in the back or something. In fact, the ending confirms that Kairi has changed by having him go silent instead of being social with his fellow thieves. He KNOWS he's changed, and he doesn't like the person he's becoming. Their rivalry was never meant to be this personal.

And of course, back drop this tension-filled fight against the other rangers. Even without saying much, the police and thieves have temporarily set their differences aside to handle the bigger threat, the Gangler. It's clear that the subordinates will be getting along sooner than the Reds will.

I don't care who produces this show, I'm just sad things have been predictable. When the show was announced, I made a bunch of predictions, and they've slowly been coming true. (I predicted a double agent, and boom! Noel/Patren X/Lupin X. I predicted the two teams would eventually put aside their differences and become one team; probably won't happen till the end. And I predicted the Reds would have the hardest time becoming teammates when everyone else has all ready done so, and it looks like that's coming true too.) Don't get me wrong, the inner conflict going on in this episode, and the character development because of it, are still great. Predictable and unavoidable, but still good execution, loved watching it play out. I'm just sad that everything so far has been predictable, and the story is moving along so slowly. This a Sentai about Cops VS Robbers! This has never been done before in Sentai history. They should be taking chances, experimenting, doing all kinds of crazy-amazing stuff! Instead, they're just doing this by the numbers. What a waste of potential. Even the police are less developed than the thieves, and it shouldn't be hard to make them interesting. I'm not asking for a repeat of DekaRanger with the police characters, but if that show can get it right, there shouldn't be any excuse.

D

Dr Kain

I wouldn't say that. Both teams have been developed about the same. It's just that the growth stopped so many episodes ago.

Actually the shows ratings is making it one of the lowest which is currently averaging at 2.98% and on par with Kyurangers overall average.

3HHhwJT.png

That's not what the report like two week's ago said when it said it had the lowest toy sales of the franchise.

That's not what the report like two week's ago said when it said it had the lowest toy sales of the franchise.

It had a higher average if you just look at the first 10 or so episodes and people were hyping its ratings up due to that, but like most shows it saw a drop after the initial episodes, and its average has just continued falling throughout, resulting in them already reaching Kyuranger level and likely falling even further later. I'd say general Japanese audiences reacted like most people in the Western internet in this case. They liked the premise and enjoyed the first few episodes, but later most people just lost interest due to the show having uninteresting episodic stories (which are constrained by the plot set up) and doing nothing with the main plot.

Even the police are less developed than the thieves, and it shouldn't be hard to make them interesting. I'm not asking for a repeat of DekaRanger with the police characters, but if that show can get it right, there shouldn't be any excuse.

Loving Dekaranger is exactly the reason I'm kind of bitter Utsunomiya is the producer of this series. With a show produced under him, there was no way they'd do anything interesting with the police theme, and by now it's clear that it was wasted and we'll need to wait at least 10 years or more for another attempt at a cop Sentai.

D

Dr Kain

It had a higher average if you just look at the first 10 or so episodes and people were hyping its ratings up due to that

Ah, that makes sense. I forgot the report was only for the first quarter.

I'd say general Japanese audiences reacted like most people in the Western internet in this case. They liked the premise and enjoyed the first few episodes, but later most people just lost interest due to the show having uninteresting episodic stories (which are constrained by the plot set up) and doing nothing with the main plot.

I guess I'm just happy it isn't just me then. Sometimes I wonder if the shows from the 90s raised my expectations for the entire franchise too high since nothing has ever been able to truly compare to those shows. Hell, eight of my top ten Sentai shows are from the 90s and even my rewatch of Gekiranger right now hasn't been going as I expected.

I just hope things get moving finally. Though, I thought Shinkenger was Kobayashi, not Utsnomiya.

ToQGer was a success though?

Also, I forgot to answer this. Utsunomiya is the main producer of those shows - he's the one who negotiates with Bandai regarding their theme, toys, designs, cast and general structure. Kobayashi was the script writer (for Shinkenger and Toqger, out of Utsunomiya's series). She comes after the big toy and thematic decisions have already been made and then has to write a story for that. In Utsunomiya's case, it seems like he also forces a very specific "show format" on the writers, considering how everyone who works under him has used a similar structure.