I. Love. Lamp.
I wanna lose weight. Currently at 280. But I wanna slim down just to have a better looking body. Any tips?

At its core, losing weight is a pretty simple matter of expending more energy than you take in.

Of course it's never that simple.

My biggest suggestion is to find something that gets your heart rate up around 120-145 beats per minute, and do that for at least thirty minutes, five times per week. This could be power walking, swimming, biking, jogging, inline skating, whatever.

Combine that with portion control. Keep in mind that what you're given as a meal at a restaurant is generally what a normal person would need for their total daily calorie intake. For a frame of reference, a single portion of meat should be about the size of a deck of cards.

I strongly recommend against any diets other than 'eat less, move more.' All my friends who have tried fad diets like atkins, south beach, etc, have eventually put the weight back on and more to boot. Weightwatchers seems to work for the people I know who've tried it, but that's probably because weight watchers is about portion control and not eating enormous amounts of calories.

A couple other tips:
  • stop drinking soda
  • don't drink more than one glass of juice a day - it's loaded with sugar
  • chew your food more - it'll help you realize when you've eaten enough
  • don't let yourself make excuses for giving in - most people fail at treating themselves 'just once'

Banned
So do i.
I'm 410 (no lie) with a BMI of 57, but i should be about 180 with a BMI of 20 based on my hight. I never exercise (because, of the way i am, i am psychically incapable of doing it) of and have a diet of more calories and sugars to last a normal person for a week in a DAY.

It quickly becoming a major issue for me as i can't move very quick, can't get up off the floor without assistance, and have a battery of Lower back and leg problems. Plus Surgery (like Gastric Bypass or Liposuction) are out of the question, as i am a very high infection risk.

Ill skip the psychological and image stuff, but needless to say it's time for me to make my dream come true, no matter the toll it takes on me....

So.....any tip's on drastic weight loss? (not quickly i might add, i'm in no rush, but just for dropping over 200 pounds in general)

HEROW
I run 15km twice a week and watch what I eat. I used to have a beer belly back in college, but I've lost it all now.

Here's me right now:

[hide]
38996_1492499066920_1067326104_1480154_3319440_n.jpg

I've been running for a year.[/hide]

Based on your weight, just try and run to gauge yourself, until you can manage to run at least 3km. Don't push yourself too hard, but just enough that you can still walk afterwards. Then when you're comfortable with 3km, try to push yourself to 5km, then 10km, and so on and so forth until you are able to do a full (42km) marathon. It usually takes a couple of months (2~3) before you can really be comfortable with your pace and be able to handle the next level.

Always allow ample time for your leg muscles to heal, let's say 1~2days gap between runs since it is very essential.

Goodluck!

Last edited:
PARTY HARD
I could use this. XD Does biking do anything? I seem to prefer biking than walking/running.

HEROW
Well, I'm not familiar with the distances of biking, if I were to guess, you'd have to extend the distance you have traveled with the bike in relation to the distance you would run. But IMHO, biking removes a lot of the motions involved while running, since in biking, you tend to only use your legs to paddle while just using your upper body to hold your center of gravity. Whereas in running, contrary to what people usually think, the whole body is involved since you need to counter-balance your legs' pace with your upper body and arms, so you move your whole body, hence it is easier to lose weight when running. :thumbs:

Banned
I would galdy run...if i was able to.
Well, i can do a slow walk and thats it....no, really, i Physically cannot run at all.

Hell, i'm wasted after going up a single flight of Stairs.....

HEROW
Then that's it, you should try walking every now and then first. It takes time, but trust me, that's the easiest way to burn fat. Try walking every morning until your heart reaches the specific heart rate OverdrivePrime has said. If you can't monitor it, just run until you're sweating all-over and feel really tired. Not to the point of collapse ok? Then slowly increase your distance or your speed every week perhaps? Until you've lost enough weight to be able to run at least 1km first.

It's not a quick fix, but that's the most rewarding and proper approach to losing weight.

Banned
just run until you're sweating all-over and feel really tired.

I get that going to the fridge, thats about 20 feet away.
I wish i was kidding about that.....but i'm not.

But, anything is worth a shot, i'm that desperate.

Last edited:
HEROW
Oops sorry, I meant walk.

Anyway, exercise + a good diet will do. Don't skip meals, eat "just enough" every now and then (not to the point of getting the feeling of being full), and avoid midnight snacks, etc. Avoid junkfood too, stick to healthy meals like veggies, fruits, etc. You can try eating granola bars as a substitute for your breakfast and snacks, but you have to do something active before it gets stored as fat again.

Avoid softdrinks too, just drink water, at least 8 glasses a day.