Oh, no, I'm hardly an elitist. I just know what I like and I know what I don't like. My complaint about GoBusters is purely me. I know there are fans of both Power Rangers and Sentai, and they'll probably love GoBusters, but this is just one of the very few things I just don't like. I had no problem shrugging off the Battlizer in the Magi VS Deka special, but now it just feels like it's all starting to get a little too much...

Complaining about "morphing" just because you don't want PR in your SS when it's actually a valid, appealing translation is elitism.

二番目の翻訳者
So does this mean the creators at Toei like and enjoy Power Rangers? I guess I'm just a little confused about this. Zyu2 footage aside, I know that Toei prefers not to get involved with Power Rangers and prefers to keep the Ranger suits and mecha/megazord suits. It was my understanding that they only dub Power Rangers in Japanese to make more money.

Well, they only make Sentai in the first place to make money, so.. :p

In seriousness, I think the fact that they've been employing Sakamoto Koichi, Exec. Producer of Power Rangers, to direct KR and Sentai episodes and movies over the past year or so evidences that they see it at least on par with their own stuff as far as artistic merit goes. I can't imagine why they'd give that guy work if they didn't respect what he'd done in America.

I know it seems odd given the general fandom consensus on the superiority of the original, but it's important to remember that the Japanese point of view is very different. To them, it's PR that's the "exotic foreign product." A lot of the Americanisms of PR that seem hammy and cliche to us would be like a breath of fresh air to them.

Last edited:
I know it seems odd given the general fandom consensus on the superiority of the original, but it's important to remember that the Japanese point of view is very different. To them, it's PR that's the "exotic foreign product." A lot of the Americanisms of PR that seem hammy and cliche to us would be like a breath of fresh air to them.

I remember there being a pretty persistent rumor back in the early days that the dub of Power Rangers was doing well enough that Toei briefly looked into doing a Sentai series that was internationally produced and featured a multiracial cast.

I remember there being a pretty persistent rumor back in the early days that the dub of Power Rangers was doing well enough that Toei briefly looked into doing a Sentai series that was internationally produced and featured a multiracial cast.

That would've been awesome, if it had a high budget. Imagine a remake of Battle Fever J, with an actual Black guy playing Battle Kenya, Miss America being played by a white girl, Cossack by an Eastern European looking guy, France by any guy and Battle Japan by the standard Asian American actor Kane Kosugi. Why not make it bilingual too and have the actors speak in English and then in Japanese for the dub. Slap Power Rangers on it and everybody happy. :p

Now THAT would've been awesome!

Eye See You
Oh, no, I'm hardly an elitist. I just know what I like and I know what I don't like. My complaint about GoBusters is purely me. I know there are fans of both Power Rangers and Sentai, and they'll probably love GoBusters, but this is just one of the very few things I just don't like. I had no problem shrugging off the Battlizer in the Magi VS Deka special, but now it just feels like it's all starting to get a little too much...

It's a valid concern for a fan. I knew some fans would be turned off by the PR "injection" to Sentai.

Kuuguitar
Well, they only make Sentai in the first place to make money, so.. :p

In seriousness, I think the fact that they've been employing Sakamoto Koichi, Exec. Producer of Power Rangers, to direct KR and Sentai episodes and movies over the past year or so evidences that they see it at least on par with their own stuff as far as artistic merit goes. I can't imagine why they'd give that guy work if they didn't respect what he'd done in America.

Plus, I think it's because Japan knows toku best - they know their Ameritoku better than the Americans themselves.

It's a valid concern for a fan. I knew some fans would be turned off by the PR "injection" to Sentai.

But then most of the fans who grouse about it aren't the people Toei and Bandai listen to. ;)

Eye See You
But then most of the fans who grouse about it aren't the people Toei and Bandai listen to. ;)

I personally don't give a **** since I love both PR & Sentai. If they want both franchises to have intimate sex than whatever. Morphing Brace is such good hommage to MMPR that I have a small boner.

Well, I honestly don't believe that people would complain that dubbing Sentai was taking jobs away from American actors. No one in Hollywood has complained that dubbing anime was taking their jobs away.

And if it's really all about money at the end of the day, then I say, why not do both? Why not dub Sentai and give it a quiet, straight to video release while still making Power Rangers? They kind of do the same thing in Japan anyways; make Sentai while dubbing Power Rangers. I figure, if we do both, then both parties win. The US distributors and Toei get even more profits, and the people from Japan coming over to work on Power Rangers can keep their jobs. The only thing I fear about this is that I might be opening up a can of worms for any country that has every made something like tokusatsu.

EDIT:
Here's another question. It seems that when Power Rangers gets dubbed in Japan, they often have the Japanese counterparts reprise their roles. If Sentai was dubbed, would you rather see it dubbed by an anime dubbing company like Funimation, or would you rather see the original actors from Power Rangers reprising their role? I could go either way, but it might be neat hearing Jason David Frank voicing Burai/Dragon Ranger or maybe Austin St. John voicing Geki/Tyranno Ranger. Even if she turned the role down, Amy Jo Johnson would be a dead ringer for Mei/Ptera Ranger.

Last edited: