二番目の翻訳者
You make it sound like it's a bad thing. If people think the cheesy dubbing is funny, let 'em! Even Sweden's Pippi Longstocking is no stranger to this. :)

I wouldn't mind, I'm just making the point (regarding the OP) that if you want people to take Sentai "seriously," dubbing's really not going to be a better alternative to Power Rangers, at least as far as the US is concerned.

The dub of Kabuto didn't seem to screw up too badly, though to be fair I haven't seen too much of it.

I wouldn't mind, I'm just making the point (regarding the OP) that if you want people to take Sentai "seriously," dubbing's really not going to be a better alternative to Power Rangers, at least as far as the US is concerned.

The US is going to be xenophobic, no matter what. Even Doctor Who isn't as super-mainstream as we hope it would be, despite airing on BBC America. (You can't even find DW toys at Wal-Mart or Target, which would be great.) Anything that's foreign AND popular, Americanize it. That's been the US value since 1993. And we've seen the unfortunate Hollywood-ization of Japanese properties (especially anime). Americans are afraid that their patriotism isn't adequate, and lots of Americans are getting into foreign stuff, and thus, all those big Hollywood stars will be shunned away. They don't like that. So they jump in on those foreign properties, and Americanize them. Dumb them down.

But then, dubbed or subbed, these shows were never meant to be taken super-seriously. Kids will get into it, adults will laugh at it, that's the way it's been for me as I grew up. It doesn't even bother me anymore. If anything, I'd rather hear "cheesy and campy" than "GO GO POWER RANGERS!"

Didnt te original ultraman get a release some years ago in America? Was it dubbed too?

Im cool with a sub only release such as GoLion and Dairugger XV

The Bun Is In Your Mind
The thing I find interesting about Toku in America is the fact that the people who really enjoy it are the Baby Boomers. When they watch Power Rangers, VR Troopers, or Masked Rider, they are instantly reminded of Ultraman, and Space Giants, and Starman.

Hell, my Dad is a prime example of this. The whole reason I watched MMPR was because my dad introduced me to it.

Kuuguitar
Dubbed in America? Ha. The sad thing is that Japanese tokusatsu will have an uphill battle against homegrown American science fiction and fantasy series, especially as many genre conceits in toku aren't things that work well with demographics other than children (America is a culture that disdains children's stuff once they hit puberty, but swings back once they reach adulthood).

And the reason the Bioman and Kabuto dubs aren't bad are because they aren't American. :p

English dubs exist of Ryuki, 555, Blade, Kabuto, Den-o...aired on the kids channel here in Singapore...translation is not bad, only questionable thing is the acting. ack, I couldn't really stand it but it's improved slightly over the years. hm, the 3 grandsazer series were also aired
I'd catch an ep here and there if I wake up on time on Sundays though. Mainly for the opening song which were all still in japanese.

Last edited: