Lets answer the DUBBED question once and for all...

kuroihikari

English dubs exist of Ryuki, 555, Blade, Kabuto, Den-o...aired on the kids channel here in Singapore...translation is not bad, only questionable thing is the acting. ack, I couldn't really stand it but it's improved slightly over the years.
I'd catch an ep here and there if I wake up on time on Sundays though. Mainly for the opening song.

I haven't seen Den-O ones but I've seen those CN dubs of Ryuki-Kabuto. I'm not too comfortable with them, to be honest.

For example, in Blade, Kenzaki says "Tachibana" a lot, and "Tachibana"'s pronunciation was Americanized to something like "Tuhchibuhnuh." Probably a minor nitpick, but it really turned me off.

CKShadowmoon

Kamen Rider Beserker
There were also a dubbed version of Ultraman Taro and Jonias (though this is in compilation movies) both of which you can get bootleg versions of on dvd

Bigdog

Phillipines.

That dub is pretty awesome.
The thing I find interesting about Toku in America is the fact that the people who really enjoy it are the Baby Boomers. When they watch Power Rangers, VR Troopers, or Masked Rider, they are instantly reminded of Ultraman, and Space Giants, and Starman.

Hell, my Dad is a prime example of this. The whole reason I watched MMPR was because my dad introduced me to it.

My dad grew with Ultraman and Godzila and passed it to me , though I picked up Ultraman later.

Dubbed in America? Ha. The sad thing is that Japanese tokusatsu will have an uphill battle against homegrown American science fiction and fantasy series, especially as many genre conceits in toku aren't things that work well with demographics other than children (America is a culture that disdains children's stuff once they hit puberty, but swings back once they reach adulthood).

And the reason the Bioman and Kabuto dubs aren't bad are because they aren't American. :p

Modern Homegrown American scifi and fantasy series are for retards. I'd rather shoot myself than watch one all the way through because they are either:
-Half assed
-boring and long drawn, like a soap opera.
-have effects, but be soulless rubbish with no heart.
-it's all dark and emo here.

They somehow lost what made scifi and fantasy good here and threw it into the crapper. Sure teens might "act" liek they hate it, but really, being a teenager myself, "kid's things" are all the rage and still are in a sense.

The genre conceits of toku CAN work with adults , look at Smallville, Batman [Begins]...they were successful and popular due to that. Look at GARO for Christ's sake and tell me it couldn't work here. If dubs are frowned on, why not give it a dark gritty Medieval spin in a retelling?

I'm done seeing dark and emo sci-fi/fantasy only ,why not sci-fi that isn't all that and embodies the soul and spirit of the old days. Lost in Space , Star Trek... all those older scifi shows were pretty much similar if not the same in concept.

The big fact of the matter is that for all what Americans say their stuff is better, but in reality the film industry of the 50's through the 70's were ran by a bunch of pussies who never dared to venture to innovative and different methods of special effects as well as in their sci-fi films and shows, god forbid it being blasted as a suit. It has to be said that clay stop motion looked less authentic in my opinion. It kinda went dry after awhile.

The only uphill battle is with convincing Americans. Americans are largely a dumb confederation of sheep that will follow anything and kill each other for a lower price for merchandise from a popular show and film. You make it the **** , people will come. You can easily deride opposition by calling them racist bigots and throwing them out the industry door [blacklisting] and we know how the media can instantly silence people.

With the advertising venue today, you can convince anyone and make any show or show popular.

I'd love to see the Ryuki-Kabuto dubs. I do recall a Canadian dub of Turboranger, dubs of Goranger and JAKQ, and the pilots of Sun Vulcan from Marvel.

Tokuboy

Kuuguitar
That dub is pretty awesome.

My dad grew with Ultraman and Godzila and passed it to me , though I picked up Ultraman later.

Modern Homegrown American scifi and fantasy series are for retards. I'd rather shoot myself than watch one all the way through because they are either:
-Half assed
-boring and long drawn, like a soap opera.
-have effects, but be soulless rubbish with no heart.
-it's all dark and emo here.

They somehow lost what made scifi and fantasy good here and threw it into the crapper. Sure teens might "act" liek they hate it, but really, being a teenager myself, "kid's things" are all the rage and still are in a sense.

The genre conceits of toku CAN work with adults , look at Smallville, Batman [Begins]...they were successful and popular due to that. Look at GARO for Christ's sake and tell me it couldn't work here. If dubs are frowned on, why not give it a dark gritty Medieval spin in a retelling?

I'm done seeing dark and emo sci-fi/fantasy only ,why not sci-fi that isn't all that and embodies the soul and spirit of the old days. Lost in Space , Star Trek... all those older scifi shows were pretty much similar if not the same in concept.

The big fact of the matter is that for all what Americans say their stuff is better, but in reality the film industry of the 50's through the 70's were ran by a bunch of pussies who never dared to venture to innovative and different methods of special effects as well as in their sci-fi films and shows, god forbid it being blasted as a suit. It has to be said that clay stop motion looked less authentic in my opinion. It kinda went dry after awhile.

The only uphill battle is with convincing Americans. Americans are largely a dumb confederation of sheep that will follow anything and kill each other for a lower price for merchandise from a popular show and film. You make it the **** , people will come. You can easily deride opposition by calling them racist bigots and throwing them out the industry door [blacklisting] and we know how the media can instantly silence people.

With the advertising venue today, you can convince anyone and make any show or show popular.

I'd love to see the Ryuki-Kabuto dubs. I do recall a Canadian dub of Turboranger, dubs of Goranger and JAKQ, and the pilots of Sun Vulcan from Marvel.

180px-%E4%BA%95%E4%B8%8A%E6%95%8F%E6%A8%B9.jpg

Plus, the suits don't like dubs - they don't have as much creative control over dubbed foreign shows as much as they do with their own IPs.

Bigdog

180px-%E4%BA%95%E4%B8%8A%E6%95%8F%E6%A8%B9.jpg

Plus, the suits don't like dubs - they don't have as much creative control over dubbed foreign shows as much as they do with their own IPs.

You recall Robotech and Ultraman? Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball .... many shows have been altered with creative control. Not as much as per say , creating your own show, but enough. You can do ANYTHING with a foreign show in the constraints of its footage, it takes CREATIVITY and EFFORT. You can make a dub as far away from the original story , cut and rearrange footage to your liking , and lets' not forget the censoring.

Why not "Robotech" or "Voltron" a trilogy of similar looking Sentai and Kamen Riders into an epic sci-fi adventure? Bioman-Flashman easily could be made as a trilogy spanning series while Maskman, Turboranger and Fiveman could be made as another series.

Take Faiz,Blade and Kabuto.You could make the lead hero be the same guy like James Bond or like Doctor Who with each "reincarnation".

You could do the same thing with Sentai, but that wouldn't be fun really, would it?

With cost versus profit, a dub pretty much wins over any "Saban Moon" economically if done right. Even if done comedically and with cheese, a dub in the long run is as versatile of a tool as remaking it.

I admit I was a bit harsh on modern Ameircan series, but I have found most of them trying to be dumbed down or not as captivating/attention grabbing as I'd like them to be. Many of the ones I liked are cancelled or not on the air any longer, wth the ones that recently got an end like LOST/Smallville just veered the show into nonsense/cliffhanger.

SamuraiEchidna

This part confuses me right here.

http://forums.henshinjustice.net/showthread.php?t=73982

Scroll down to the part about the MorphinBrace. Heck, the fact that "Morphin" is even in the name is enough to make me cringe..

As I've said before, I'm not a Power Rangers fan. So I get turned off when I see things from Power Rangers intersecting with Super Sentai. Never should the two worlds meet, if you ask me. And yes, I know Morph and Morphing are real words with real definitions, but come on... After Power Rangers, you can't say that word anymore without thinking about Power Rangers, can you?

It's been acknowledged for awhile. Why you think Keith blurts it out all the time.:sweat:

Really? And how many official sources do you have? The only source I have is the English version of the Kamen Rider Kuuga theme where Chou Henshin was translated to Metamorphing, but I always thought of that as a fluke really.

KouAidou

二番目の翻訳者
As I've said before, I'm not a Power Rangers fan. So I get turned off when I see things from Power Rangers intersecting with Super Sentai. Never should the two worlds meet, if you ask me. And yes, I know Morph and Morphing are real words with real definitions, but come on... After Power Rangers, you can't say that word anymore without thinking about Power Rangers, can you?

The morphin' brace seems pretty obviously intended as a PR ref, to me. There's no other reason to spell it the way they do.

I mean, I'm sorry it bugs you, but the creators of Sentai clearly don't feel the same way you do about PR.

SamuraiEchidna

I love when Sentai and PR elitists say things. Always makes me laugh.. :laugh::anime:

Oh, no, I'm hardly an elitist. I just know what I like and I know what I don't like. My complaint about GoBusters is purely me. I know there are fans of both Power Rangers and Sentai, and they'll probably love GoBusters, but this is just one of the very few things I just don't like. I had no problem shrugging off the Battlizer in the Magi VS Deka special, but now it just feels like it's all starting to get a little too much...

The morphin' brace seems pretty obviously intended as a PR ref, to me. There's no other reason to spell it the way they do.

I mean, I'm sorry it bugs you, but the creators of Sentai clearly don't feel the same way you do about PR.

So does this mean the creators at Toei like and enjoy Power Rangers? I guess I'm just a little confused about this. Zyu2 footage aside, I know that Toei prefers not to get involved with Power Rangers and prefers to keep the Ranger suits and mecha/megazord suits. It was my understanding that they only dub Power Rangers in Japanese to make more money.

kuroihikari

Oh, no, I'm hardly an elitist. I just know what I like and I know what I don't like. My complaint about GoBusters is purely me. I know there are fans of both Power Rangers and Sentai, and they'll probably love GoBusters, but this is just one of the very few things I just don't like. I had no problem shrugging off the Battlizer in the Magi VS Deka special, but now it just feels like it's all starting to get a little too much...

Complaining about "morphing" just because you don't want PR in your SS when it's actually a valid, appealing translation is elitism.

KouAidou

二番目の翻訳者
So does this mean the creators at Toei like and enjoy Power Rangers? I guess I'm just a little confused about this. Zyu2 footage aside, I know that Toei prefers not to get involved with Power Rangers and prefers to keep the Ranger suits and mecha/megazord suits. It was my understanding that they only dub Power Rangers in Japanese to make more money.

Well, they only make Sentai in the first place to make money, so.. :p

In seriousness, I think the fact that they've been employing Sakamoto Koichi, Exec. Producer of Power Rangers, to direct KR and Sentai episodes and movies over the past year or so evidences that they see it at least on par with their own stuff as far as artistic merit goes. I can't imagine why they'd give that guy work if they didn't respect what he'd done in America.

I know it seems odd given the general fandom consensus on the superiority of the original, but it's important to remember that the Japanese point of view is very different. To them, it's PR that's the "exotic foreign product." A lot of the Americanisms of PR that seem hammy and cliche to us would be like a breath of fresh air to them.

Last edited:

FlashNeko

I know it seems odd given the general fandom consensus on the superiority of the original, but it's important to remember that the Japanese point of view is very different. To them, it's PR that's the "exotic foreign product." A lot of the Americanisms of PR that seem hammy and cliche to us would be like a breath of fresh air to them.

I remember there being a pretty persistent rumor back in the early days that the dub of Power Rangers was doing well enough that Toei briefly looked into doing a Sentai series that was internationally produced and featured a multiracial cast.

Bigdog

I remember there being a pretty persistent rumor back in the early days that the dub of Power Rangers was doing well enough that Toei briefly looked into doing a Sentai series that was internationally produced and featured a multiracial cast.

That would've been awesome, if it had a high budget. Imagine a remake of Battle Fever J, with an actual Black guy playing Battle Kenya, Miss America being played by a white girl, Cossack by an Eastern European looking guy, France by any guy and Battle Japan by the standard Asian American actor Kane Kosugi. Why not make it bilingual too and have the actors speak in English and then in Japanese for the dub. Slap Power Rangers on it and everybody happy. :p

ryuuseipro

Now THAT would've been awesome!

Forever Knight

Eye See You

It's a valid concern for a fan. I knew some fans would be turned off by the PR "injection" to Sentai.

Tokuboy

Kuuguitar
Well, they only make Sentai in the first place to make money, so.. :p

In seriousness, I think the fact that they've been employing Sakamoto Koichi, Exec. Producer of Power Rangers, to direct KR and Sentai episodes and movies over the past year or so evidences that they see it at least on par with their own stuff as far as artistic merit goes. I can't imagine why they'd give that guy work if they didn't respect what he'd done in America.

Plus, I think it's because Japan knows toku best - they know their Ameritoku better than the Americans themselves.

It's a valid concern for a fan. I knew some fans would be turned off by the PR "injection" to Sentai.

But then most of the fans who grouse about it aren't the people Toei and Bandai listen to. ;)

Forever Knight

Eye See You
But then most of the fans who grouse about it aren't the people Toei and Bandai listen to. ;)

I personally don't give a **** since I love both PR & Sentai. If they want both franchises to have intimate sex than whatever. Morphing Brace is such good hommage to MMPR that I have a small boner.

SamuraiEchidna

Well, I honestly don't believe that people would complain that dubbing Sentai was taking jobs away from American actors. No one in Hollywood has complained that dubbing anime was taking their jobs away.

And if it's really all about money at the end of the day, then I say, why not do both? Why not dub Sentai and give it a quiet, straight to video release while still making Power Rangers? They kind of do the same thing in Japan anyways; make Sentai while dubbing Power Rangers. I figure, if we do both, then both parties win. The US distributors and Toei get even more profits, and the people from Japan coming over to work on Power Rangers can keep their jobs. The only thing I fear about this is that I might be opening up a can of worms for any country that has every made something like tokusatsu.

EDIT:
Here's another question. It seems that when Power Rangers gets dubbed in Japan, they often have the Japanese counterparts reprise their roles. If Sentai was dubbed, would you rather see it dubbed by an anime dubbing company like Funimation, or would you rather see the original actors from Power Rangers reprising their role? I could go either way, but it might be neat hearing Jason David Frank voicing Burai/Dragon Ranger or maybe Austin St. John voicing Geki/Tyranno Ranger. Even if she turned the role down, Amy Jo Johnson would be a dead ringer for Mei/Ptera Ranger.

Last edited: