Lurker
I was goofing around on Toei Video.co.jp and came across the page for the Kuuga Blu-Rays. Imagine my surprise seeing a comparison between showing the original SD masters and the new version made for Blu-Ray. There was also a blurb with Toei talking about what they did. Here's my translation of (a Google Translation of) the blurb (Seriously, if anyone can do a better job, please do).

The main SD video was upconverted with the latest HD technology

At the time of Masked Rider Kuuga's production, it had been shot on HD cameras. However, as it was not possible to broadcast in HD at the time, the video was downscaled on to a D2 tape and broadcast master tape. For the upconversion work, Kuuga was put through a high-quality mastering system.
The original SD master had its jagged edges smoothed and the color was upgraded to a HD color gamut to achieve a high quality image.

They posted before & after images of the process. The 1st of each pair is from the original SD master, the 2nd is from the upconversion on the Blu-Ray.

[HIDE]
IMG_3289.jpg

IMG_3290.jpg

IMG_3291.jpg

IMG_3292.jpg
[/HIDE]

What do you think? For me, it's clearly not HD quality, no matter what process Toei put it through. However, I can definitely see an improvement. Anyone with Blu-Rays of the other Heisei Rider shows (Ryuki, Faiz, Blade) or Dekaranger, does this comparison jibe with what's on those discs? Make you willing to risk getting one of those upscaled sets? (For me, yes: the 3rd volume of Dekaranger, as that'll have the 1st episode of Sentai I ever seen).

Lurker
When I was downloading TV-Nihon's Kamen Rider Ryuki subs, I found the test subs they did from the Ryuki Blu-Rays. I watched the two scenes from the SD subs than the upscaled Blu-Ray versions. They definitely looked better upscaled and some did almost look HD. There were also shots that looked terrible, specifically the same shots that also looked terrible on the SD version (or at least a camera that was not as good as what they used for the main action). I also spot-checked the shot on film Ryuki movie: the upscaled episode footage doesn't hold a candle to footage from the movie, but that was just a cursory look due the different shooting formats for both.

I'm sure on a smaller TV there's no difference but if you have a bigger TV, then I'll give the hat to the Blu-Rays. I still don't agree with calling upscales true Blu-Ray releases, but for those that want the quality to speak for itself and are a huge fan of Ryuki (I've only seen 5 episodes, but they were pretty good), I would recommend the sets.

I'm pretty sure all series are in HD, insofar as all Heisei shows are in 6x9 aspect ratio, so they should be at worst, 480i. To be perfectly honest, I think this is an improvement, and that's all that matters. They probably used smaller film, likely something like Super 16, where it's two exposures instead of one to save on cost, so the resolution isn't wonderful. Even worse, if they used digital film, 15 years ago, that stuff was garbage technology.

NonStereoBlack
I'm pretty sure all series are in HD, insofar as all Heisei shows are in 6x9 aspect ratio, so they should be at worst, 480i. To be perfectly honest, I think this is an improvement, and that's all that matters. They probably used smaller film, likely something like Super 16, where it's two exposures instead of one to save on cost, so the resolution isn't wonderful. Even worse, if they used digital film, 15 years ago, that stuff was garbage technology.

it was digital hd, like in episode II, but downscaled when editing and broadcasting. No masters to re-edit, so, ITS GARBAGE, no matter how many upscales you do to it.