Lurker
Because they do nothing while "in hiding". Giving an explanation for that doesn't really change it. So, effectively, they only exist and act one at a time and Wizard is always able to track them as soon as they become active. It means that nothing will ever happen outside of the immediate reach of the hero.

I agree. W, OOO, and Fourze all gave us in-story reasons they villains couldn't simply overwhelm the hero while he was still weak. In Wizard, as far as they have shown, the episodic structure seems counterproductive (in-story). Would a massive attack of monsters that sends the entire city into chaos make it easier to get people to fall into despair?

One reason why I can think Wiseman keeps the Phantoms in hiding would be that he doesn't want to trigger a direct confrontation with the White Wizard and/or whoever else might be part of that universe.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! SUBARASHI!!!!
Ep 21 The Dragon's Wild Dance
Ep 22 Phoenix: Berserk
Ep 23: The Battle
Ep 24: The Wizard's grandmother

My grandmother once said this, Phoenix might be killed by All Dragon and absorbed by Beast.

wizard101a.jpg

This mysterious young man appears in front of Koyomi and gives her the Land Dragon magic stone. He is a Phantom but what is his purpose behind this?

wizard103a.jpg

A Phantom who has the ability to distort time and space appears in front of Wizard, who now possesses the 4 powers of the dragon. During the battle the White Wizard appears. The encounter between the White Wizard and Beast is a must see!

wizard102a.jpg

Rinko meets Yugo (Phoenix) as he is involved in a series of assaults downtown. Eventually, an unexpected situation arises...!

Lurker
I agree. W, OOO, and Fourze all gave us in-story reasons they villains couldn't simply overwhelm the hero while he was still weak. In Wizard, as far as they have shown, the episodic structure seems counterproductive (in-story). Would a massive attack of monsters that sends the entire city into chaos make it easier to get people to fall into despair?
I think that "Despair" in Wizard isn't as cut and dry as simply threatening people with death through a city-wide attack. In order to turn the Gate into a Phantom, the destruction of a person's Hope is a very personal and specific thing.

It's like when Lizardman got in trouble for just going around killing people; he wasn't actively helping to create new Phantoms, he was just screwing around.

A massive attack might work for a couple of Gates, but for the most part I think that the Phantoms are playing the long game so that they can try to increase their own numbers.

Unfortunately for them Wizard seems to foil their plans at every turn. xD

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Just to make it clear, because I haven't always kept up with this thread: Did I miss something? Is there any evidence that Phoenix will be killed off or leave the show or is it just speculation/wishful thinking?

^ I've seen speculation aplenty that Beast's Mana draining will be used to finish Phoenix by defeating him and draining it before he can reform, but I don't think anything's been said though.

Even if Beast absorbed Phoenix, can't he still come back? In episode 10 we saw Phoenix rise from ashes so there is still a chance he comes back.

Kamen Rider Dark Kabuto
Even if Beast absorbed Phoenix, can't he still come back? In episode 10 we saw Phoenix rise from ashes so there is still a chance he comes back.

No, that's literally the entire point of the speculation of Phoenix being absorbed. We don't know how Beast's absorption works exactly but it likely turns the victim into mana as he absorbs them. Meaning that Phoenix is likely to be stuck as a large blob of mana inside Beast's belt, not necessarily dead.

Beast aside, the next episode seems to be going into Phoenix's backstory from before he was a phantom, and that has a pretty high chance of spelling the death knell for toku villians right...