In Justice, We Trust!
Is it just me, or did Shunpei act more like a kid then the actual kid did?

Loved the fight with phoenix and wizard, I got chills seeing Haruto all serious faced as he transformed…but I think one thing took me out of the moment…and that was the goofy noises the belt and the weapons made.

Last edited:
レイモン (雷蒙)
Is it just coincidence that Hiroki kid wears the similar color dress as Shunpei?

Minato Ascending
Great episode, and one that aside from Shunpei's usual antics is actually dealing with both drama and tragedy. We're beginning to learn more about Haruto's childhood, and I think his parents' early deaths probably helped him overcome his despair at that event and survived to become Wizard later on. Phoenix turned out to be a rather sadistic Phantom who loves to inflict pain on his opponents, and I think he's a terrific villain. Btw, do you think Wiseman's white curtain somehow foreshadows his connection with the White Wizard?

I'm sold on Phoenix after this episode. The fact that he beat up the kid's mom was unexpected and greatly followed by him curb stomping Wizard. Did Medusa actually hint that Phoenix killed a gate before?

I'm loving the way Wizard is taking it's time revealing plot points especially in relation to Haruto. They're not waiting to long to tell us anything.

I was thinking that perhaps Haruto's parents' death was orchestrated to drive him into despair. Perhaps by White Wizard.

Super Moderator
I enjoyed episode 8. This was a good episode for one being a solid Gate-of-the-week episode but also giving us both a little more background on Haruto and giving him a boss fight. Not to say that Haruto hasn't had to struggle at times but the previous episodes did a good job of establishing the hero as an awesome fighter so the timing on this is near perfect for giving him a real challenge. I really liked the fight choreography in this episode to. It's an interesting style they're using for him.

Is it just me, or did Shunpei act more like a kid then the actual kid did?

No, it's that the kid acted like a kid and Shunpei acted like some adults obnoxious idea of what a kid would find funny. Though some of Shunpei's antics would at least be more defensible if the character was in fact a little kid rather than a JarJar-esque manchild.

This episodes brought something I love to see in Rider. All of these episodes, we've been seeing Wizard always having the upperhand in his fights. Even if he's not besting the Phantom, he's at least cool and collected. Which is why it makes Phoenix seem just that much more dangerous when we get to see Wizard frantically pulling trying to stop him. It's probably the best villain introduction I've seen in a long time.

Also, the second I saw Phoenix's HUGE sword, I thought, "Now they HAVE to make a Figuarts of him! He's already got a badass accessory." :p

Hibiki Soukou
I loved this episode. The tragic elements with Phoenix utterly beating the mother until she was unconscious and kicking the crap out of Wizard felt like a throwback to older Rider. Rider used to be more ballsy with its level of brutal violence and darker themes like the ones expressed towards the end of this episode.

Minato Ascending
I loved this episode. The tragic elements with Phoenix utterly beating the mother until she was unconscious and kicking the crap out of Wizard felt like a throwback to older Rider. Rider used to be more ballsy with its level of brutal violence and darker themes like the ones expressed towards the end of this episode.

Oh yeah, I love the brutality of this episode. Phoenix is extremely impressive with his awesome powers and sheer joy of inflicting pain against others. I also think his design doesn't make him into a typical MOTW, but he is almost akin to a dark and evil Kamen Rider or something.

Super Moderator
Oh yeah, I love the brutality of this episode. Phoenix is extremely impressive with his awesome powers and sheer joy of inflicting pain against others

I don't enjoy the brutality against the Mom for it's own sake (and I hope that's not where some of you are coming from with it either) but yes it was effective dramatically in context. Especially coming off the scene where Haruto has a bonding moment with the little boy.

Last edited: