Mr. Kamen Rider
OOO actually made me rethink my favorites list, and that's not something that happens very often. Start-to-finish, I thought it was a fantastic series. I loved the characters, the story, the action... basically everything about it. I can't think of a point where I was unhappy with the direction the show was going or how it was telling the story.

I think the music style fit perfectly- it was energetic, wild and free-wheeling. It was sort of mishmash, like the show itself, which had a ton of different ideas going on at once yet somehow they all wove together. As much as you had the ska punk, there were also other kinds of music going on- very operatic pieces or bizarro themes for the villains. The variations on Ankh's theme alone were some of my favorite Rider music in recent memory. Even the theme song basically summed it all up- anything goes. Like Eiji, the music had this oddball, visceral energy going on that is as true to the spirit of the show as W's music was to W.

W I found to be a little safe at times- coming off of Decade, it felt like it was really trying to please everybody and just be as Riderish as it could be. It's breaking a lot of new ground, but not in a way that ever really surprised me like its successor. It was more "Oh, that's cool" rather than "Whoa!" When you get down to it, it's ultimately a very gentle little story about two guys saving the city they love. And that's fine, but OOO's crazy madcap antics are more to my style. Watching that show, I was continually surprised and pleased when it did things I didn't expect or anticipate. I could go on forever about how it handled Ankh alone. It's like splatter painting- to some just random noise and colors, but to others, a work of art. I'm firmly in the latter camp. Both are excellent series, but for me OOO was flat-out amazing.

Of course, I'm fully aware I'm in the minority on all that. :p

Last edited:
Friendship and the Cosmos.
I felt that no matter what the show changed from pre-production to shooting the thing, they always knew what they wanted to do with Ankh. I think Takebe said that Ankh was to die from the very beginning, and the show sort of moved itself around to fit that whole ending.

And man, what an ending for sure.

W was Real Good. Pretty much a comprehensive how-to in terms of writing characters, plots, settings and all that. It's the toku I'd recommend to people looking to get into the genre.

OOO had better CGI, though. Lookin' at you T-Rex Dopant!

My vote goes to OOO. Yeah, W had some interesting aspect in their shows, but 1 thing is making me dislike the show throughout: Akiko.

While the detective theme is compelling enough, the fact that there's a girl that will hold out a slipper and spoil the moment with her slapstick face ruins everything throughout the series. No doubt W's finale is one of the best I've seen in present's Kamen Rider. Other good points throughout is Kamen Rider Accel/ Terui Ryu, Sonozaki family and Shotaro/ Phillip's partnership.

Although OOO had some weaknesses too, it was hardly recurring in every episode (I still dislike the 999 and 1000 episode for its wackiness, not to mention the comic effect used in episode prior to Shauta's debut). But that was hardly in every episode. OOO's finale is very good emotionally, showing the relationship of Eiji/ Ankh/ Hina. Gotou and Date definitely played a better part than expected in the series

That said my vote is like this
Double : OOO
49 : 51

Lurker
For me, W had a great story and pacing (the best I've seen in the KR franchise), but while I really like the W cast, which includes the best female character in the franchise (haters gonna hate), I grew more attached to OOO.

I'm A Djinn
^ Which female would that be? Saeko? Wakana? Shroud?

Agreed. My vote's for Saeko.

As much as I tolerate Akiko, it is only due to association, since shes such a part of the show by this point. But yeah, I cannot say in good conscience that she was close to being a good character. She was OK when she 1st showed up, like episode 1. Annnnnd then they went overboard on the slipper gag. And the anime face. Fuq anime faces! Ur not 3! Somebody to ought to shove that slip

Yeah, the Sonozaki ladies were THE good female characters that were not an eyesore.

Terui, y'shouldve gone for the magician.

Last edited:
Minato Ascending
Terui, y'shouldve gone for the magician.

Not just any magician; she's the amazingly hot Nao Nagasawa, henshin hottie and gravure idol. I'm not sure what Terui was smoking when he chose Akiko over her, to be frank.

Banned
I can understand why people didn't like Akiko, but I loved her. she was a great character.

I'm A Djinn
Not just any magician; she's the amazingly hot Nao Nagasawa, henshin hottie and gravure idol. I'm not sure what Terui was smoking when he chose Akiko over her, to be frank.

It was pretty neat how they handled that though, I admit.

I really saw the back and forth between her and Shotarou throughout the series, and it wouldve been neat if he ended up shacking with his boss' baby girl. But it seemed like the show went with Holmes x Watson sort of thing for Shotarou.

An its not like RyuKiko was an asspull either since Akiko had been crushng on the cop. So it really wasnt unbelievable.

Still wouldve gone for the leggy one if it was me though. Akiko's actress is hot but Lily's is smokin.