When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men
So recently I decided to "challenge" myself to re-watch Kabuto. I've never been particularly fond of the series due to Tendou's arrogance and last time I tried to watch it, I stopped at episode four (which funnily enough I felt, while rewatching it, was a turning point for Tendou and Kagami's character's respectively and showed that Tendou isn't really a complete dick). I've always been really taken with the suits and the zectors and why I chose to force myself back in

What's everyone's thoughts on the series?

The Ranger with the Cowbell
Ahhhh Kabuto. To me, it's the Colin Baker-era of Kamen Rider. It's insufferable main character detracts A LOT from the story (and it is a compelling story IMO) as well as potential fans (like myself). BUT it does have its fans if you know where to look.

As for me, it's not horrible but not good, but I would say not even average, I say it's about the best of the bad Rider series if that makes sense.

Aronbafon
It helps to think of the show the right way. As Kamen Rider Gattack. Regardless, Kabuto have its good sides, it's a good back to basics Rider show. Calling out attacks came back, really good looking insect suits.

I'm one of the few people who actually like Tendou. I honestly see him as a more aloof, more cryptic and less open version of Gentaro. Both of them are "abnormal" in the sense that they go against what's expected of the environments they're in, but whereas Tendou is a hermit on the mountain who people might get ticked off at for not staying what they would like or understand, Gentaro gets down in the trenches with everyone and speaks their language.

As for the show itself, it's a mess. It starts off well enough but by the time Drake and Sasword appear it loses itself in a sea of bad character usage and nonsensical plot. A bunch of mysteries that get dumped in never get solved, or solved in stupid ways. Really, Kabuto killed the "Agito format" that Heisei Rider was on since 2001. Den-O had to shake things up again, for better and for worse.

Kabuto's first half was amazing. Everything had a nice flow, and the mentor/rival relationship between Kagami and Tendou was interesting.
It became even better when Yaguruma joined the party, as he seemed like the perfect (no pun intended) rival for Tendou.
The early episodes also set up some interesting things, one of them being that the TheBee zecter seemed to mark its users, giving us a hint that the writers were gonna give us some sort of "cursed Rider suit" storyline aka Kaixa/Delta.

The problem with Kabuto was that Yonemura (one of the main writers for the show) is like a bad fanfic writer with too much money.
No matter how much you bash Inoue, it can't be denied that he really wanted Kabuto to have a Kuuga/Agito vibe. Notice that the worms were a lot scarier and creepy in the first half, and the drama was pretty solid.
But I have a feeling that Yonemura got impatient and wanted to throw in as much action and eye-candy as possible. That man does NOT like to write stories. He wants to write action scenes. Look at KR vs SS. It suffered the exact same problems as Kabuto, because Yonemura couldn't handle anything outside the battles.

While Inoue loooooooves his Rider vs. Rider battles, he still tries to justify them.
Kabuto vs. TheBee was a typical Inoue Rider conflict, and it was actually pretty good.
But Kabuto vs Drake and Sasword? That was clearly Yonemura's doing. Forced conflicts that had nothing to do with the overall story and were only there to make action scenes.
Heck even Tendou was like “WTF are they mad about now???â€

Now I wanna say, I am not 100% sure which episodes were written by Yonemura, but I am judging from the style of his other work.
People seem to blame Inoue for everything bad that happened in Kabuto, but I think Inoue's biggest problem here was that he made the same mistakes he did in Faiz. He set up a story that ended up being too complicated for him to finish.
Had they stopped introducing any Riders after TheBee, I think Inoue could have made a pretty good show out of it, even with Yonemura's crap.

The new Tendou Souji
But I have a feeling that Yonemura got impatient and wanted to throw in as much action and eye-candy as possible. That man does NOT like to write stories. He wants to write action scenes.

Maybe that's why he writes for Pokemon, can be as flashy as you want in that show. :laugh:

Now I wanna say, I am not 100% sure which episodes were written by Yonemura,

Here you go, this should be able to help with that.

Kabuto's main problem, IMO, is that Inoue just didn't work well together with Yonemura. As soon as Inoue arrives in the show, there's a clear change of atmosphere that carries over to Yonemura's episodes. I thought the show was still enjoyable afterwards, but I don't think Yonemura ever handled the new atmosphere as well as the original one. The worst part though is how they wrote the same characters differently. Everyone's voices are very weird in Inoue's first two episodes. The later ones kind of fix that issue, but the two writers still clearly wrote the characters differently.

Yonemura treated Kabuto as a distant protagonist whose actions were mostly observed by others, aside from a few very personal circumstances involving Hiyori. Inoue wrote Kabuto as the standard point of view character. Initially, Inoue also seems to regard Tendo's sayings as a bunch of nonsense, with Tendo even eventually explaining himself at the end of an early arc. That issue disappears in his later episodes though.

Yonemura wrote Kagami as a promising young man with lots of potential but lacking focus and knowledge, often relying on various others, leading to bad decisions, until he learned how to stand by himself in the final episode of the series. Inoue wrote him as Kabuto's hotheaded sidekick.

Inoue wrote Drake, Yonemura at best seemed to get to write scraps for him considering how his actor was never around in his episodes.

Inoue wrote Tsurugi as Tendo's rival and mirror, in his introduction to his departure from the series. Yonemura wrote Tsurugi as a lovable buffoon who befriended Kagami and developed thanks to him (which stands in stark contrast to Inoue penned ending arc where the entire focus of his character suddenly changes back to Tendo).

Kabuto vs. TheBee was a typical Inoue Rider conflict, and it was actually pretty good.

But Kabuto vs Drake and Sasword? That was clearly Yonemura's doing. Forced conflicts that had nothing to do with the overall story and were only there to make action scenes.

Inoue hadn't even touched the show by the point of TheBee vs Kabuto. He only started writing for Kabuto with Drake's arrival. In fact, almost every single arc that featured Drake's actor was written by Inoue. In some later Yonemura episodes of Kabuto he had to do things like Gon speaking for an off-screen Drake or even a suit only Drake once.

Wikipedia has a list of who wrote each episode:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kamen_Rider_Kabuto_episodes

Look at KR vs SS. It suffered the exact same problems as Kabuto, because Yonemura couldn't handle anything outside the battles.

Super Hero Taisen was a big exception in a sense though. The previous Yonemura written crossover movies generally didn't have nearly as much focus on action or random past heroes as they should. Just look at Let's Go Kamen Riders, where the other Riders only arrive for an ending scene and mostly just stand in the background there. Even SHT really should have used more past heroes. Still, I thought it was an evolution in a sense - since it seemed to use the "all" crossover element for the entire story rather than just a battle scene at the end, even if the story itself was fairly empty.

Of course, in the end, it seems like SHTZ changes right back to the format of the other movies, only focused on featured series with the other heroes just randomly appearing for the final battle, so, SHT seems like it'll be just a one off.

I really hope they bring different writers for the next movie, since it seems like he's stuck in that format for crossovers. Although maybe the other writers just don't want to work with Shirakura...

Last edited:
When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men
Up to episode 10, I can definitely see now why so many people fawn of this show. ZaBee distancing himself from his "hive mind" mentally and it getting the best of him in the end was a great plot point

Why is every good TV show Cancelled
I remember liking it the first time I went through it- it was my first Japanese Kamen Rider series & the first I ever completed. But, I didn't really retain a whole lot from the first time. Still, it was three years ago, now, but I thought that I would've remembered more than a couple random cool things & the basic jist of the plot.

Then again, both Kiva & Faiz are fading & I watched Kiva through last year & Faiz this year...

I do remember thinking WTF at the finale, though. But, seeing as you're watching it now, I'll not ruin it for you.

Not-So-Rabid Blade Fangirl
It's been nearly 5 years since I last watched it, so my perspective has dimmed with my memory of it. I didn't enjoy it when I watched it, mostly because I didn't find any of the characters likeable or interesting, with the possible exception of Kagami, occasionally. And some of the character had such dramatic personality shifts that it got irritating.

Also, I was hungry the entire time I watched that show. It was like a cooking infomercial in Kamen Rider form. :loltongue: