Kamen Rider Kabuto - Talk Up! [Fansub Spoilers!!!]

has left HJU. Not coming back.
Yep! That's right. Episode 1 has been aired in Japan.

Here's an awesome henshin (The image is too bad so I had to link this)
http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/6654/11384915917176jm.jpg

And here's new opening!
http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/6589/11384921241592fs.jpg

Some more opening image.
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/7163/11384923372567sh.jpg

Another new pic of opening. Amazing!
http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/3497/11384927185251ln.jpg

Sweet pic! :buttrock:
http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/521/11384933335925bk.jpg

Awesome gif!
rx200601290844571ar.gif

Now let's discuss!

Last edited:
Damn d00d, chill out, post when you've actually watched it. It's posts like this where a crap load of people will post in a topic causing arguments and complains when they haven't even watched the show yet. That's how the Ryukendo topic went to crap. I'll post again when I actually watch it, but chill.

Kyusaku said:
Damn d00d, chill out, post when you've actually watched it. It's posts like this where a crap load of people will post in a topic causing arguments and complains when they haven't even watched the show yet. That's how the Ryukendo topic went to crap. I'll post again when I actually watch it, but chill.

Huh? I didn't say anything.
0173xm.gif

Mr. Kamen Rider
Okay, so is this the real, actual Kabuto talkback thread? And the other one's pre-discussion (and can probably be closed now, I think, unless people want to continue the stuntman discussion going on there.)

Anyways, episode #1!

First, a title card proudly announcing this is the 35th Anniversary of Kamen Rider. Whoo!

The pre-credit sequence opens in on a shot of outer space, and the female voiceover tells us about the event of 7 years ago. A meteorite crash-lands in the middle of Shibuya, Tokyo, and causes some pretty serious damage. The voiceover ends by telling us that it was because of this that she lost her parents.

The actual Opening is pretty cool. I need to watch it a couple more times to pick up on everything, because there's a lot of imagery flashing by at once. Sort of reminds me of a combination of the OPs for Ryuki (especially when Kabuto stands back-to-back with himself in human form), a little of Faiz, and the "Elements" one for Blade. The song (female singer again, like in Ryuki & the first Blade OP) sounds pretty good, but once again I need to hear it again a few times to more accurately judge.

As we come to the present day, we see there there's still a sizable chunk of Tokyo showing the effects of that meteorite crash, with some demolished buildings. In a warehouse near the docks, a hapless guard has a chilling encounter with one of our lovable Worm Kaijin (in its larval stage, although it first appears as a human.) As you can guess, he doesn't survive very long.

ZECT immediately goes into action; we don't learn much about them in this episode and don't see any BOARD-style base, but they get to see a lot of action. There's two people (Misaki & Tadoroko) in a van that act as the sort of monitor/directors for the Zectroopers (sort of like Ozawa & co. in Agito), and they keep talking to a mysterious shadowy guy who's somewhere far away from the action. And the Zectroopers themselves of course, they're quite a lot of fun to watch. The pull up in Hummers and pour into the warehouse SWAT-style. So far, ZECT sort of reminds me a lot of the Nightraiders from Ultraman Nexus.

It doesn't take long before the guys run into the Worm, who now has several other identical Worm buddies also dropping in. The ensuing fight doesn't go well for ZECT; the 'troopers get their butts kicked big time. It is cool how they have Riderman-style arm-mounted machine gun weapons (with extendable blades), but unfortunately those don't do much good. Things go from bad to worse when some of the Worm start molting off their skin and upgrading to even more fearsome Spider-like forms, the Aracneaworm. They also gain the ablity to move super fast (Faiz-style) and start cleaning house on the Zectroopers.

I should mention that around this point we're introduced to a new character, Kagami, who will be becoming important later on. He arrives at the van parked outside and is admonished for being late. He then goes in and starts filming the battle with a digital camera while the two pack in the van analyze the ongoing battle. He's also one of the few that manages to get away unscathed when it's decided the battle can't be won. Once that's over with, the various ZECT members (Misaki, Todoroko, Kagami, and surviving Zectroopers) regroup outside to talk about what just happened. Of course, everyone’s bummed that they had to call off the fight, but then again a pile of dead guys aren’t really going to do much good against the Worms and even more powerful super-fast Aracneaworms.

Kagami is returning home (the next morning) and he manages to get his wallet stolen. I find it sort of hard to believe he doesn't notice the guy walking up and pulling his very large wallet out his pocket, but he's had a rough night, so I’ll cut him some slack. The thief manages to trip and throws the wallet back at Kagami, who still wants to give him a beat-down. He (thief) pulls out a knife, and an amusing little scuffle ensues. A man walking by almost gets his throat cut, but the knife just barely misses and he calmly continues on as if nothing happened. We soon find out that this is our hero, Tendo Souji, and he is...well, not quite like any other main Rider yet. He's *sort* of like a less grim-Takumi with a much bigger ego, and immediately reminded me of a sort of 2000-era Shigeru/Stronger. He's too busy worrying about his Tofu (you have to see it to believe it) to help apprehend the criminal, but when the thief almost gets away, he does a neat little trick where he knocks the escapee out cold by kicking the other guy's wallet into his head. That'll teach 'em. Kagami’s upset that Souji wasn’t eager to jump in and save him, but as the other man tells him, he doesn’t take orders from anyone. Wondering who the heck this guy is, Kagami soon gets his answer:

“Walking the path of heaven, the man who rules over all…I am Tendo Souji.”

Souji's got a pretty nice house, and according to his sister Junka he's a good cook (he makes a mean Japanese-style breakfast.) She asks him about what he’s been up to these days, as he doesn’t seem to be working or going to school. His vague response just manages to puzzle her, but she doesn’t push it.

So what is Souji up to? He also spends a good chunk of the middle of the episode training- hitting the punching bag, working out, and all that. We see that he in fact possess a belt very similar to the one Kabuto will be wearing (minus the mini insect Zecter part.) He asks of the belt “How long do you plan for me to wait?”

Interspersed with these scenes are more with ZECT, which also receives an identical belt in a briefcase (again, Faiz-style.) Kagami wants to put the belt on and start kicking some Worm butt immediately, but is shot down by his superiors. Also, 15 minutes into the show, and the word "Rider" is mentioned. Oooooh, yeah!

Souji eventually sticks his belt in a bag and sets out, as if already knowing where this is all going to lead. I'm happy to say he already knows how to ride a motorcycle right from the get-go. He eventually encounters this odd girl in blue, Hiyori, who is better at talking to machines than people (she helps him out with a nail his bike tire.) In fact, she seems to have some strange connection to machines that she lacks with people, a fact Souji comments on. It’s worth noting that Hiyori was also the female voiceover in the pre-credit sequence.

She becomes even more important shortly, as she witnesses another Worm monster kill and impersonate some cops, after first appearing as the guard killed at the beginning of the episode. Not wanting to leave any witnesses, the Worm goes after her. ZECT arrives on the scene, as does Souji when his belt reacts with ZECT's belt (blue electricity surges over them) when they drive past each other. “At last you’ve awakened” he says as he follows the ZECT van.

Kagami watches as the Zectroopers are once again knocked left and right, and the Worm monster evolves to its super-fast Aracneaworm form. It's also interesting that ZECT apparently doesn't care about civilians too much, as the troops open fire even when Hiyori is still in the way.

Realizing he has to do something, Kagami runs back into the van and convinces Todokoro to let him use the belt. Begrudgingly, his superior relents, and Kagami puts it on and rushes up to confront the Worm (I like how he nearly trips over Zectroopers rolling down the stairs here.) He puts his hand to the sky, and the mini flying robotic beetle thingy (Zecter) appears in a flash, flies towards his hand...and goes past it, instead flying up into the hand of Souji, who's there and is wearing his own belt. He states that he is "the chosen one", and proceeds to Henshin, much to Kagami’s dismany. The actual Henshin sequence is pretty cool, with the armor forming around Souji first as tiny hexagons like we've been seeing on the Kabuto toys and in the previews. He becomes Kamen Rider Kabuto Masked Form!

Fortunately, despite looking fairly bulky, Masked Form can move pretty well, and he manages to do what nobody else has done thus far and give the Aracneaworm a decent fight. He eventually pulls out the Kabuto Kunai Gun and starts blasting away (the gun sports a triple laser sight as well.) Things go smoothly until the Aracneaworm starts doing its super fast attack, and Kabuto gets kicked all around the place. But thanks to a little improvisation, he still wins the fight. I'm not going to spoil how he does it here, because it's VERY cool and has to be seen in action, but I'm sure everyone will be seeing pictures of it soon enough.

Due to the force of the resulting explosion, Kagami is knocked out. Hiyori, who’s been witness to this whole thing, looks at Kabuto.

One Aracneaworm is down, but things don't look too hot as ZECT and the 'troops arrive to surround Kabuto. Uh-oh.

No ED sequence, which means it's either coming in episode #2, or it's back to the Agito/Ryuki/Faiz/Blade way of doing things, with the ED theme played for the battle (this episode just used BGM.)

Next episode: Kabuto Rider Form appears, and apparently (as is shown in the OP sequence and commericals following the show) he also has the ability to move super fast, via a method called "Clock Up" (the Aracneaworm also possess this.) We also see the motorcycle, and hopefully, we'll see the Rider Kick as well.

Overall, I'm very impressed, and it looks like 2006 will be a great year for Rider. Despite the similarities to other Rider shows, I think Kabuto feels unique enough on its own (plus being an anniversary shows, references can be a big plus) and I know some people will love the no-nonsense tone of the show- I'd say aside from Souji's rather sardonic nature, it's pretty deadly-serious so far.

"Cast Off!"

Last edited:
Eye See You
Igadevil said:
and I know some people will love the no-nonsense tone of the show- I'd say aside from Souji's rather sardonic nature, it's pretty deadly-serious so far.

Amen.

Looks like he carried over his Takumi-like personality from Pink no Idenshi to Kabuto :laugh:

Ep 1 sounds kickass so far.
Can't wait for the RAW and SUBS

Igadevil said:
Okay, so is this the real, actual Kabuto talkback thread? And the other one's pre-discussion (and can probably be closed now, I think, unless people want to continue the stuntman discussion going on there.)

This is the real talkback. :anime:

Anyways, episode #1!

~SNIP~

"Cast Off!"

Edit: Fixed a few typos

Wow... sounds really awesome. Can't wait to see the full episode!!

EDIT: BTW, what's the titles of episode 1 and 2? Thanks!

Mad Skillz
The opening seems okay, the singer reminds me of the one from Globe.

I guess Shin is going to be Zabee/ The Bee then and Tendo does sound like a one of those few cocky main characters.