It's funny how if we put the first 20 episodes of Ghost together with the last 25 episodes of Drive, then the combined quality would equal a pretty decent Kamen Rider series. Now if only we could have a Kamen Rider series that's good from beginning to end like Gaim again, that'd be great.

R

raden238

Ghost will fall under my lower tier of Heisei Rider shows. Along with Fourze and Wizard. All three shows have a lot of similarities. Most notably a boring boring main story. After watching Ghost, I learned to appreciate Fourze/Wizard a lot more than a few years ago. Ghost's story was so boring. So many episodes just felt like it was the same thing happen over and over again to me. It didn't help that they recycled the hell outta of the villain suits. After reading the previous comments on here, the budget definitely seen to have been cut due to suit designs and Amazons production but it's brutal to watch.

I was enjoying the first half of the season but once Grandma Fumi died (she was the best minor character btw, she actually played a crucial part to Alain's character), the show went downhill fast. I did not like the way the sub-storyline of Deep Connect was dragged out for so many episodes. Everything just felt so repetitive to me. The show did not do a good job explaining the lore/myth of the eyecons compared to say Drive and Gaim did with their technology/powers. The magic in the show was random as hell. It just seemed like anybody could do this and that and then bam fused into some evil monsters (Adel and Gamanizers) without any explanation. Even Takeru's powers/gift just seemed to happen, they didn't fully explain why and how he kept evolving.

Another big problem with the show were the other characters, I'll briefly review the notable ones.

Akari: Liked the way she was portrayed as a independent woman, doing anything she could to help in battle. Glad they didn't force the romance with Takeru.

Onari: Started off as a great character, again like Akari, was trying to help in battle even fighting the Ganmas at one point. But then his character completely transformed into a comedic relief annoying character with bad jokes.

Makoto: Like Kamen Rider Beast, became an absolutely pointless Secondary Rider that served no purpose to show after his main character arc was resolved. He was literally there just to fight whenever our Main Rider wasn't available. I do not like it when the writers use Kamen Riders like that. Also fighting his doppelganger was the best idea they came up with?? really??

Alain: Basically the same problems as Makoto, didn't do much after his great character arc with Grandma Fumi ended. Was just there to fight.

Kanon and the two Monk apprentices: Didn't hurt the show with their presence but didn't do enough to be important.

That douchebag Grandpa Magistrate Edith: Worst character on the show by far, caused all the problems and didn't fight. I thought he would sacrifice himself at the end like most older characters in Rider would do, but nope hes alive. Annoying and useless.

Jabel, Alia, the two good Ganmas that I forgot existed, Igor, Adel and the Great eye: All bad characters. Jabel, Alia and the 2 stooges were pointless. Igor was pretty good but they had to give him a happy ending instead of giving him, his just desserts for being such a evil villain. The end to his character just felt like a cop out, right when they could of had a better ending for him. Adel was good but the way the show was so repetitive and long, I didn't bother caring about his evil plan and was instead hoping the show would just end already.

Yurusen: Annoying character that was pointless but I liked the cute reveal that her original form was a cat. But it doesn't make sense given the lore of the show. Shouldn't she be a ghost kitty instead of a one eyed puppet ghost??

Takeru is one of my least favorite Main Riders. The ending doesn't even make sense, how can he still be the Ghost Rider if hes alive again?? Hope they explain it in the Bonus episode, Taisen 2017 and beyond. All the Main Riders keep their powers after their show ends.

Overall, I'm glad Ghost is over. I do appreciate the message this show wanted to send to kids. Be grateful to be alive and to value your life and others. It's a sweet message to give but conceptually the show was not what anyone expected. They went with a happy Ghost with a bunch of ridiculous historic figures (Edison nor Billy the Kid is a hero). A classic horror Ghost theme like Kiva would of been better. I didn't like the way the show had a ridiculous amount of form changes for the Main Rider. Nobody will remember them (except for the default, super and final) and its useless in the long run, they had to do it just to sell toys. Ghost's Iguana Striker magically disappeared and even in the last episode Takeru was riding with a completely different Rider machine. It started off ok but took a nose dive by the half way point. I'm sure the cutback in the budget had an affect on the show's quality but that doesn't excuse it from having bad writing and boring characters to have to sit through for 50 long long episodes.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I know that Kamen Rider series are for children, but you can't tell that when watching Kuuga to Hibiki. There are still hooks there for the adult viewers. Starting from Kabuto, it's gearing more and more toward children. Sure there are still hooks for adults.

But starting from Fourze, feels like they're ramping up their efforts to try eliminating adult viewers from their target demographics....

I find it strange you would say that when they've built two recent series (and the new one just started) around elements that appeal to adults, created an Amazon Prime show for adults (and will probably make more - Amazons did well, and Tsuburaya's releasing an adult-targeted Ultraman now) and have been releasing more collectibles and V-Cinemas for the sake of older viewers. You can tell just from the Chase movie that they didn't think (or didn't care) many kids would be watching

Akari: Liked the way she was portrayed as a independent woman, doing anything she could to help in battle. Glad they didn't force the romance with Takeru.

There was no romance (well, the Rider-1 movie appeared to be trying to set up a love triangle with them and Mayu, but that only came up in like one scene and, well, Inoue wrote it.) Gotta say that was refreshing. After 3 years of female lead as love interest and likely next year as well (everything we know about Asuna from Ex-Aid promo material makes her look like a blatant Kiriko copy) it was nice to have the franchise acknowledge women can do things other than fall in love with men.

I find it strange you would say that when they've built two recent series (and the new one just started) around elements that appeal to adults, created an Amazon Prime show for adults (and will probably make more - Amazons did well, and Tsuburaya's releasing an adult-targeted Ultraman now) and have been releasing more collectibles and V-Cinemas for the sake of older viewers. You can tell just from the Chase movie that they didn't think (or didn't care) many kids would be watching

"Adult" can simply mean "humor that doesn't appeal to kids but still sucks" though. I haven't watched them yet but it seems the Next Generation Sharivan and Shaider V-Cinemas weren't well received.

After 3 years of female lead as love interest and likely next year as well (everything we know about Asuna from Ex-Aid promo material makes her look like a blatant Kiriko copy) it was nice to have the franchise acknowledge women can do things other than fall in love with men.

Three years? Rinko wasn't a love interest in Wizard. Or do you mean Koyomi, who was barely in the show after a while and wasn't really a love interest anyway so much as "we're the survivors of this event and we only have each other". Her and Haruto are more like Shinji and Yui from Ryuki, and those two certainly weren't a couple.

Even Mai wasn't really a love interest, either. Just because Kaito was fond of her (and that wasn't even one of his main goals) doesn't mean anything, and Kouta was just her friend. It's only Drive that placed emphasis on Shin and Kiriko potentially being an item, via Gou teasing them about it. Which frankly I liked. It (Gou's teasing) was cute.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
"Adult" can simply mean "humor that doesn't appeal to kids but still sucks" though. I haven't watched them yet but it seems the Next Generation Sharivan and Shaider V-Cinemas weren't well received.

That's very true. But Toei is at least trying to appeal more to adult fans over the last couple of years, whether or not it succeeds ...

Three years? Rinko wasn't a love interest in Wizard. Or do you mean Koyomi, who was barely in the show after a while and wasn't really a love interest anyway so much as "we're the survivors of this event and we only have each other". Her and Haruto are more like Shinji and Yui from Ryuki, and those two certainly weren't a couple.

Even Mai wasn't really a love interest, either. Just because Kaito was fond of her (and that wasn't even one of his main goals) doesn't mean anything, and Kouta was just her friend. It's only Drive that placed emphasis on Shin and Kiriko potentially being an item, via Gou teasing them about it. Which frankly I liked. It (Gou's teasing) was cute.

Fear too much more discussion on this would go OT (and go into creative team's intent which seems to be a touchy subject around some places) but suffice it to say I think it was refreshing even after last year to see the hero & female lead have a warm relationship that wasn't romantic. I wish the show had kept up the "faith vs logic" represented by Onari and Akari more after the first arc but I still like what we got in that respect

D

Dr Kain

Wait, is the show over already?

Based on the comments, I don't know if I even want to give this show a second chance.

It's funny how if we put the first 20 episodes of Ghost together with the last 25 episodes of Drive, then the combined quality would equal a pretty decent Kamen Rider series. Now if only we could have a Kamen Rider series that's good from beginning to end like Gaim again, that'd be great.

I do agree that Ghost is the reverse of Drive, To where it slowed down in the middle.

I guess I am the only one who actually liked Ghost for the most part.

The ending was less than what I had hoped for, and I feel like we never got the full story behind Edith and what Alain's family was trying to accomplish. We got the gist of it and most of the details, but I feel like there was still something missing... Not to mention bringing up the details about Takeru's mother went nowhere.

But other than those very minor things, I had fun along the ride. I honestly feel like Toei might be getting much closer to finding that perfect blend between dark and fun. :)

Lurker
Watched the Kamen Rider 1 movie. It was the one that wasn't as bad as the other Taisen movies. Sure there were the usual errors in writing and jarring jump cuts, but for the most part it didn't make me angry at its existence.