For a while now, it's seemed like the extent of Micchy's strategising has been 'Betray everyone, figure out why later'.

Also, Sid does not look long for this world. But who knows: I would have thought he'd have died five episodes or so ago, but the man has a nearly cockroach-oid ability to survive, so maybe he'll persevere.

Otaku University Student
Yeah, perhaps Mitsuzanay's not thinking about the future anymore. The slap he got from Mai really was the breaking point where the world around him was shattered and he's blaming Kouta for everything.

Micchi has made Kouta the scapegoat for his problems, where the truth is that he brought a lot of it upon himself. However Michi doesn't have the guts to betray Kouta directly, so he has to either shoot him from behind or make him think that Takatora screwed him over. Which is why Kaito despises the cowardly roach.

Blade Adept
And thus Gaim of Thrones ups the betrayal counter in multiple ways.

I wasn't expecting that ending either, but I should have seen it coming sooner or later. You remove the leader, and the others would begin scurrying around for a power grab/the command structure disintegrates, inducing organisational anarchy.

I had a crappy RAW, so a third of the time I was struggling to see anything. Fortunately, despite it freezing at Ryoma's henshin sequence, I was able to see the whole moment of betrayal mostly unimpeded. Superbly done, and after so many episodes of anticipation (everyone saw this coming), it didn't disappoint. You're biting your fingers as you see a steadily bewildered Takatora being overwhelmed as his adversarial numbers build up, and the moment he tells Micchy to run and save humanity is gut-wrenching.

The sad thing is that Micchi has no intention of carrying out his brother's wishes. Since Takatora has found a kindred spirit in Kouta, which adds more fuel to his hatred.

"Training."
Takatora gave up and thought he had to make sacrifices to save humanity.

Kouta never gave up and fought to find a way to save humanity without making sacrifices.

I think Takatora admires and can relate to Kouta because he was once like him but gave up instead of hanging on. Kouta is what he wanted to be but couldn't. He acknowledges that Kouta is in fact stronger than him.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! SUBARASHI!!!!
I love the amount of irony and subtle hints that Urobuchi is putting into this:

- Takatora said in the meeting that he's not going to tell his superiors because they're not sure whether they will be successful in persuading the Overlords, then Yoko says 'so it's like a secret between the 5 of us'.

- At the end Ryoma said 'Only 1 person can hold forbidden fruit', then the next moment the fire starts and Sid says the same thing.

- Sid's days are numbered now, I reckon he has probably 2-3 episode left to live (excluding the Kikaider crossover). Won't be surprised if Ryoma then gets betrayed by Yoko next.

Also I was happy how Takatora was really owning Sid until Yoko came, but still he was just about on par against both of them and could have escaped if not for Ryoma blocking his way. Even Yoko admits how strong Takatora is, telling Sid to fight properly because 'it's Takatora'.

And even Sid says Micchi is a scum for watching his brother die, that's probably the best thing Sid has done in the whole series.

Disappear into light!!
This episode is really messed up. It starts off at a high note with Kouta excitedly telling the crew about an awesome new ally, his sister encouraging him on despite them falling on hard times, and Bandou deciding to hire Kouta. Everything was pretty much sunshine and rainbows.

Then Takatora talks about Kouta to Mitchi and Mitchi thought to himself "he(Kouta) is dangerous". And everything starts going downhill from there. The most surprising part of the betrayal is that Takatora still believed in Mitchi, and hadn't for a second thought that Mitchi had also betrayed him. That makes all the more depressing what Mitchi did straight after.:disappoin

And then Kouta was "betrayed" and beaten down. Again. This time in more ways than one. The guy just can't catch a break.

That said, Kaito coming to his rescue is a bit of a hopeful spark. That, despite all of their squabbles, the two of them can trust and rely on each other.

Finally, it was honestly satisfying to see Ryouma at the receiving end of a betrayal. You could say it's a bit cathartic. It lends to the truth that back-stabbers will eventually kill themselves off by back-stabbing each other.

Again, totally hyped for the next episode. Kouta: I will not be defeated here!!

Last edited: