I have wondered for a good while about how to the eyes of a Kamen Rider Helmet are made.

I have guessed a special mold and resin or something of that sort, but I have found no exact information on how the eyes are actually made.

Since I did a cosplay of Kamen Rider Ichigo (seen here http://themmofifty.tumblr.com/ ) I have been preparing a costume using the later incarnations of Ichigo's costume, but I was also looking to make the helmet for this next outfit from scratch since I bought the helmet in these pictures from another source.

If anyone has information, I would be very grateful for their help.

I'm sorry to post that I have no idea. Maybe someone else can help you. :(

May very well be, but the helmet I have from the seller seems to have the pattern cut out from the inside on the eyes, almost like they used a mold that had indentations in it. From what I can tell, that's probably how they did it in the show too.

Trying to figure out the actual "How to" of this, the process. If anyone has info directly from Toei on how they make them, fire away, that would be wonderful.

Either way, thanks for replying, means a lot :3

MV Maker
This may or may not be helpful (but considering the other responses so far, I guess it's better than nothing).

The eyes on those suits are made out of a silver material with a colored translucent lens over them, like you see on a figuart (go to youtube.com/watch?v=juFOIRDJs1s and pause at 4:35 to see what I mean). I believe the material you'll need to make inner lens out of is called a one-way mirror film

Try youtube.com/watch?v=-pZlSqVO-r0 for more info on the material.

It looks like the easiest way to get the stuff is in the form of window covers, like this: www.homedepot.com/p/Gila-3-ft-x-15-ft-Mirror-Privacy-Window-Film-PRS361/100196546?N=5yc1vZbrcs

As for the texture, my best guess would be to take the blunt end of a knife and make the indentations yourself (which would probably work for a kabuto or kuuga helmet, but not something like W. I'm not sure about Ichigo, but if you don't need ultimate accuracy, you'll be fine), or experiment with other methods.

I hope that helps, and I'm sorry I don't have a more definitive answer.

Last edited:
CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!
This may or may not be helpful (but considering the other responses so far, I guess it's better than nothing).

The eyes on those suits are made out of a silver material with a colored translucent lens over them, like you see on a figuart (go to youtube.com/watch?v=juFOIRDJs1s and pause at 4:35 to see what I mean). I believe the material you'll need to make inner lens out of is called a one-way mirror film

Try youtube.com/watch?v=-pZlSqVO-r0 for more info on the material.

It looks like the easiest way to get the stuff is in the form of window covers, like this: www.homedepot.com/p/Gila-3-ft-x-15-ft-Mirror-Privacy-Window-Film-PRS361/100196546?N=5yc1vZbrcs

As for the texture, my best guess would be to take the blunt end of a knife and make the indentations yourself (which would probably work for a kabuto or kuuga helmet, but not something like W. I'm not sure about Ichigo, but if you don't need ultimate accuracy, you'll be fine), or experiment with other methods.

I hope that helps, and I'm sorry I don't have a more definitive answer.

The eyes are kinda made like a bicycle reflector. A piece of colored plastic over a metallic (probably vac-metal plastic) molded in the right shape.

Suit actor don't ACTUALLY see through the eyes on their helmets. For Ichigo the actor saw through the black 'teardrop' markings under the eyes. There's a Decade Net movie about the view inside the helmets. They generally produce two: one for close up and one for action scene, but even the one for action scene doesn't offer a lot of vision. Decade's helmet had TINY little slit on each side of the central black bar!

Suit actors are pretty talented.

The eyes are kinda made like a bicycle reflector. A piece of colored plastic over a metallic (probably vac-metal plastic) molded in the right shape.

Suit actor don't ACTUALLY see through the eyes on their helmets. For Ichigo the actor saw through the black 'teardrop' markings under the eyes. There's a Decade Net movie about the view inside the helmets. They generally produce two: one for close up and one for action scene, but even the one for action scene doesn't offer a lot of vision. Decade's helmet had TINY little slit on each side of the central black bar!

Suit actors are pretty talented.

True, but I want to be clear on this matter. I understand the basic concept here, and I don't want to seem rude when I say this.

If you look at the tumblr post I put in, the helmet I wore seems to have the eyes molded inside and out from a custom designed mold our of a semi transparent resin.

I understand the actual viewing part of the helmet is the black spots, what I am curious on is the "insect-eye" part.

If you guys can find info on the step by step process or a video where someone makes them and shows how, that would be the best help right now.

Either way, thank you for the info you have given.