Ctxo4xhW8AAYBVu.jpg:small

My Rider Kick contains more Rider Kicks than the entire last show did!

This week: Japanese JD from Scrubs, an unsettling hospital director, taking a patient with an unknown and potentially contagious disease to a crowded location, a CGI poop monster with an army of roast chicken headed chefs, DAI HENSHIN!!! and the terror of Poppy Pipopapo!

Otaku University Student
I liked that he blew on the cartridge...

Not a bad episode. Not a fan of the humor and it feels like most Raider shows are still rehashing the same slapstick humor from Den-O. Den-O is almost a decade old, can we move away from that style of humor. I know it's a kids show, but that does not mean the humor can't be bad.

Besides the boring humor, I do like the action and the world so far. It was a pretty enjoyable episode and I hope the rest of the show will be good.

Too early to say how good this show is for me. There are some positives, though.

• The main Rider is a doctor. Haven't seen anything close to that since Agito (and don't get me started on the implied Kuuga reference). My family has a background in the medical field, and I've done my best to support that. So this all ready means something special to me. Hopefully it will balance things out in the future since medical stuff isn't exactly something that kids are usually interested in. It can get pretty intense, and I don't mean the super hero battles.
  • I like how the main character is also a gamer on top of being a doctor. There was a time when these two things would not be shared traits for one character. It really humanizes him; shows that even doctors who have to deal with the worst of medical emergencies can still be normal humans too.
  • Dat Rider Kick tho... So stylish, so colorful.

The only thing I am worried about is how much CGI they used to create all the video game effects, including the Mario-esque blocks and the Megaman-esque giant monster. They might have to dial back on the Ex-Aid movies if they want to keep up that level of CGI.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Not a bad episode. Not a fan of the humor and it feels like most Raider shows are still rehashing the same slapstick humor from Den-O. Den-O is almost a decade old, can we move away from that style of humor. I know it's a kids show, but that does not mean the humor can't be bad.

I don't think they're just copying Den-O? They gave up on the Den-O movies and add-ons with Decade. Wacky slapstick humour is much more prevalent in Japanese media generally - from adverts to variety shows. As long as child audiences like it, they'll keep including it

Hey all. I saw this first reaction video and thought it was interesting, if only because it points out that young-Emu has something that probably belongs in Bandai's museum and for explaining the X-Rider reference.

[video=youtube;27gtO0pp-8o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27gtO0pp-8o[/video]​

And yeah, I think I'm also currently in 'team baseball bat'.

I don't think they're just copying Den-O? They gave up on the Den-O movies and add-ons with Decade. Wacky slapstick humour is much more prevalent in Japanese media generally - from adverts to variety shows. As long as child audiences like it, they'll keep including it

While they have stop Den-O ages ago, they still try to rehash elements of Den-O after 2007. I feel like Den-O help inspire the goofy main Rider and serious secondary Rider, nonhuman partner who directly helps the Rider fight and extremely over-the-top comic relief that we have gotten in the last 8 or 7 years.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
While they have stop Den-O ages ago, they still try to rehash elements of Den-O after 2007. I feel like Den-O help inspire the goofy main Rider and serious secondary Rider, nonhuman partner who directly helps the Rider fight and extremely over-the-top comic relief that we have gotten in the last 8 or 7 years.

Heisei Rider has always had the "goofy main Rider/serious secondary Rider" dynamic, though: Shouichi and Hikawa, Shinji and Ren, Hajime and Kenzaki. Godai and Ichijou have the personality dynamic even though Ichijou isn't a Rider (and in any other series, he would have been the secondary.) Even Kabuto did it - although Kagami is a nicer person than Tendou, he takes things much more seriously, while Tendou is OTT. Conversely, at least four shows since Den-O didn't do this (Decade, OOO, Wizard and Drive.)

W is arguably just as much to blame for the "non-human partner" thing; it was so successful that Toei repeated a variant of the Philip plot for three subsequent years in a row! And as you pointed out, Den-O was a long time ago now - Toei's a business, they have to go with what sells. They're not going to just blindly copy an old show for the sake of it. If the comedy was harming the shows' commercial performance, or kids didn't like it, they'd change it. Like how they did Gaim as a complete change from the format of the last four years, or how they tried to overhaul Sentai with Go-Busters (which, until the poor sales and ratings started to bite, had noticeably much less comedy and slapstick in the early episodes)

Heisei Rider has always had the "goofy main Rider/serious secondary Rider" dynamic, though: Shouichi and Hikawa, Shinji and Ren, Hajime and Kenzaki. Godai and Ichijou have the personality dynamic even though Ichijou isn't a Rider (and in any other series, he would have been the secondary.) Even Kabuto did it - although Kagami is a nicer person than Tendou, he takes things much more seriously, while Tendou is OTT.

None of those examples were at the level of zaniness that post - Den-O shows are at.