Kamen Rider Drive Episode 26 - Where is Chaser headed to?

"Training."
Chase's story has taken up half the series! LOL

Now they are starting to move the plot along.

At least the show is giving Shinnosuke something involved in the plot. I still think he's boring and barely someone that stands on his as a character but its a start. The thing with his father comes outta nowhere but again I'm just trying to hold on to anything in this show at this point. Since we finally have another ongoing plot other than Chase's boring story, which has finally moved in a new direction.

And as much as I enjoy Gou being pissy, I tend to agree with him here with everyone's immediate trusting of Chase.

This show really does have some good ideas but the execution is just off. Chase's story of redemption and self-discovery could be good but it went on too long and stayed stagnant until it was time to be a Rider. The angle of enemies in the police force is another great angle but it wasn't really well utilized up this point. Things are kind of just happening.

Lurker
So I am currently playing catch up with Drive.

24: It's entertaining. There's still some bad jokes and I still find Gou grating..... However, it's not bad. There's at least some backstory. And at least they TRIED to give a reason to why Mach doesn't have another upgrade (albeit a poor one).

25: Still offering BAD reasons as to why sightings of Kamen Rider and Roidmudes are ludicrous....And happening NOW. Despite.... Several plotholes that would've been a dead give away to Drive's identity and making Krim look stupid, it's a pretty decent first parter without being that big of a first parter. I mean, that's an impressive feat. in of itself. Drive did lots of 2 parters and even a 3 parter.

26: Nice to see the plot finally moving. I honestly don't have a lot of bad to say about this episode, other than the fact that the Chase thing has been weird throughout the series and me not being a fan of Chase's rider form.... I actually don't hate the form, though. I just hate the use of colors.

I'm not 100% sold on 24-26 saving Drive.... Some of the jokes are still bad, I do NOT feel anything for Gou, and I definitely think Roidmudes should die. However, I do think that it's taking steps to make up for episodes 12-19. No, 20-23 didn't sold me on it yet either.

Lurker
That's fine. I'm just not 100% sold on it like the first 11 episodes. I won't deny that episodes 20-26 weren't bad though.

I thought this episode was great. Chase's conflicts surely played up here. But I do think Kiriko's character is in a back seat since we saw her kicking ass in the first few episodes to becoming your usual KR girl. I mean she can fight. At least do something special with her

When Heart found out that Chase was still alive, he didn't try to force him to choose between humans & Roimudes. Instead he told him to find his own way, to where he respected his choice to become a Rider again. Since in the beginning Chase came off as someone who couldn't think for himself, despite that Brain & later Medic tampered with his programming.

Now that everyone knows about the Kamen Riders, you'd think the police would want a tighter control over them. Rinna making a new driver seems like it would be a pretty big deal, isn't that technically police property? Shouldn't we give it to someone trustworthy and capable instead of the guy that may or may not be on our side and isn't even human? Maybe it's just because I wanted to see Kiriko become a Kamen Rider, but this was just a little bit too farfetched for me.

Maybe we'll have more of an explanation for this later, but it seems we have nothing but that line about how "only certain people can be Kamen Riders" to fall back on.

Other than that, I'm still excited about the direction the series is going in and I do really like Chasers design, the minimalism looks great and it's probably quite indicative of what a modern Kamen Rider would look like if they didn't have to be weighed down by outlandish themes and toy gimmicks.

Lurker
what the hell is Nira's problem with Shinnosuke and I'm calling it now: Nira killed Shinnosuke's father instead of 001

what the hell is Nira's problem with Shinnosuke and I'm calling it now: Nira killed Shinnosuke's father instead of 001

I think it's kinda different. Nira and that chief (before 001 copied him) had a grudge on Shinnosuke's father, so they killed him. I believe that 001 copying the chief is more like to assume a high role. He seems like a very clever Roidmude, like Heart and Brain, but without their "drawbacks". He could easily understand that such a place is ideal in order to watch out for Krim or whoever would want to kill the Roidmudes. Plus, as the chief would have a secret (if he was involved in Shin's father's death), he would be an ideal candidate for 001 in order to evolve into a better form that could give him extreme power and secrecy.

By the way, one thing I noticed is how Chase's "decision" to assisting the humans, is being "reasoned" by him as protecting humans being hard-coded into him. If that was literal and not sophistical, then that means he is beyond being trustworthy. He is "secured". All is needed is for Krim to make his coding permanent, without the ability to be changed. But I guess it's more like both, as he could clearly choose to protect the Roidmudes as well, if he had a high reason.