Kamen Rider Drive Ep 6 - "For Whom Does The Warrior Fight?"

qn5l3l.jpg

Shinnosuke struggles to use Type Wild as he tries to understand his role as a cop, while the SCU stumbles upon an unexpected speed bump.

Ok, so from what I can understand from the raw, Rinna was never with the police guy to begin with, but was instead trying to expose something that he had done (can't tell what).

Type wild was cool, but tyres on the shoulder look dafter than as a sash.
Trideron's type wild was cool too, but I long for the day when kamen rider can afford cgi that doesn't look ridiculously fake.

Mad Doctor is the first genuinely useful tyre - I hope we don't see it just the once like we did with Fourze's medical switch. On the other hand I'm not sure I want more of Rumble Dump, which is just a poor man's drill switch. Mr Belt's pointless secretiveness is trying to be a running gag but pointing out that it's a stupid thing to do doesn't negate that it's a stupid thing to do and they should just be on the level with Shinnosuke.

Chaser remains the coolest thing about the show and was pretty neat again this episode. Hurricane Yellow's cameo continues and was a nice minor role.
Ok, so from what I can understand from the raw, Rinna was never with the police guy to begin with, but was instead trying to expose something that he had done (can't tell what).
OverTime sub is out. Turns out that [HIDE]police guy was the brother of the company president making the explosives and was trying to cover for him.[/HIDE] I'm still not sure I "get" Rinna. She seems more awkward than the nerdy guy does, even though this episode tried to make her out as a lot more capable. I don't think it's the actress, as she wasn't this awkward in Garo s4. Hopefully it's just one of those "early installment weirdness" things and they sort her out. On the up side, Otta seems to be getting beyond his "deny the existence of things standing right in front of me" shtick.

Rinna's story went as I expected, and now I think we'll indeed be seeing the "Gather the allies" plot in Kyoryuger and Fourze. Of the other remaining SCU members, only the Lieutenant could possibly be in on it.

Shinnosuke also made the decision I expected him to make (for me, the right one), though the writer didn't actually put emphasis on protecting the bad guy. Also turns out the problem is just a corrupt cop, so there goes that angle.

Rider has been dropping the ball on action styles lately with a proliferation of nondescript fighting styles. The last time there was a distinct fighting style with different Rider forms was in OOOs. Type Wild has a lot of shoulder rams, but it really doesn't look impressive. They could've at least used a style as visually impressive as Akira Yuki's in Virtua Fighter.

Blade Adept
The Rinna and dickish cop subplot went exactly how I should have expected it to. Key word there being "should", because I deluded myself into hoping that they're slowly showing themselves as a potentially sinister third party, and dickish cop guy made way too much of a mundane entrance to be a significant character anyway. Ah well. There's plenty more of the show to go.

Well, it's not a bad episode by any means. If you know what to expect, you'll find enjoyment here. I'm just disappointed at how this show feels so run-of-the-mill. It's darted back into comfortable neo-Heisei territory, yet to do anything that really positions itself and stand out. The obligatory moments at the end of a two-parter showing our new villain for the next couple of episodes serve no real purpose when we the show pretty much already airs a preview after the adverts. It's a transparent two-parter format through and through, except with the clause that every first episode has to have at least one generic Cobra/Bat/Spider Roidmuud kick the bucket, while the second episode has to solidly have a resolution for the upgraded Roidmuud of the fortnight. Fortunately for Drive, the format works well enough for the type of show it is. For now.

I'm not "feeling" Machine Chaser. It's a nice idea to have a not-Rider as a recurring villain, but the guy is simply setting himself up to be a distraction time and time again. Even Shin has to make sarcastic quips like Peter Parker whenever he bumps into the guy. Somehow, the show will have to dial back on the number of fights with Drive he participates with, because the two-parter format and the Toei-Bandai law of having the first quarter of a show be flooded with a very generous stream of new toys and power-ups dictate that Chaser will have to lose most of the fights. And unless the plot kicks into another gear (bad pun may have been intended) and either do something substantial with Chase, or reveal the inevitable that he is undoubtedly connected to Proto-Drive in some manner, I'm quickly losing interest in this short-spoken, youthful, Eiji-Hino-gone-bad grim reaper.

Shinnosuke: Chief, permission to leave the station.

Jun: For what purpose, Tomari-san?

Shinnosuke: To give the Roidmude back their bomb.

On topic: Drive so far has been enjoyable. While I couldn't help compare to Gaim at the moment since the latter is still fresh in my mind, I still manage to find Drive engaging. Never expected it though since I never a cop drama before.

Type Wild is pretty awesome!!

Lurker
How many Roidmude still left?
even with 1 Roidmude per week, will it be enough time to kill them all in +/- 45 episodes
Talk about not get the feeling, I almost feel it in everyway in Drive.
I mean every idea is awesome but lack of alive feeling.
I love how Tomari throw random joke but just when he is in Drive suit.
Without the mask, it seem he and most cast will burst out laughter any moment before finishing the joke.
For now, only Heart and Chaser is fit in my eyes
If only they make Chaser fighting Style more awesome :)

I don't know how many are left, but those Roidmudes are running out really quickly by my count. I think 5 died this episode, if I understood it correctly.

Which makes me wonder why they made 108 of them in the first place.

On that note, it does seem there'll be a reason why Chase could chase after rogue Roidmudes, as they cannibalize their own. Or just basically kill themselves.

The CGI battle in this episode is pretty bad IMO, Chase was also pretty pointless this time. It's that Teppei from Mebius at the end?