Kamen Rider Drive Ep 4 - "What is That Prideful Chaser Thinking?"

The new Tendou Souji
IMXu6dl.jpg

Shinnosuke must deal with both Chaser and the Paint Roidmude, as Rinna reveals to him the secrets to Asaya's paintings.

Blade Adept
Hmm. Well, I enjoyed this one a lot more than I enjoyed the last three episodes, although I can't think of a tangible reason why. Perhaps I'm just in a better mood this week. After ragging on about nearly all of SCU being staffed by morons who make ORE Journal look like BBC News or The Economist magazine, to close off an episode with Rinna looking a bit dodgy has perked my attention. If there's more to her than she seems, like Fourze's Sonoda, I support the idea so long as Sanjo actually use the potential and not squander it a dozen episodes later.

That music during fight sequences does not work (no, I'm not referring to the opening song either. That I'm rather okay with). I'm absolutely not feeling any sense of tension or gravity in the fights between Drive and Chase.

I'll also be happy enough if the show never bothers to use the Vegas and Cab Shift Car powers ever again, but the show will simply follow up on them with even crazier ones. It honestly beggars belief how they manage to make a show with fruit armour work, while a show using the seemingly less crazy Bandai gimmick of toy cars is nigh impossible to take seriously half the time.

Last edited:
I can't believe people are actually shipping the shift cars.
46736806_p0_master1200.jpg

Well now you know why Japan's birth rate is so low >.>

nearly all of SCU being staffed by morons who make ORE Journal look like BBC News or The Economist magazine

At least ORE Journal could be funny. SCU is a complete 180.

That music during fight sequences does not work. I'm absolutely not feeling any sense of tension or gravity in the fights between Drive and Chase.

So they're taking their musical cues from OOO, then.

MV Maker
I'm officially sold on this series, mostly for some character reasons. Shinnosuke's badassery and Paint's sleazy smile in that interrogation room really has me sold on the bi-weekly cop drama thing. I like how it's different from W in that the criminals are straight-up scumbags who should be brought to justice.

I'm also thankful the SCU didn't have much to do here (though unfortunately, they felt the need to remind us that Gen is a complete moron). Plus, I'm not sure it was a good idea to ditch opening recaps in favor of characters reiterating the same point in the middle of the episode.

Also, while I'm not really a fan of the shift cars in general (I honestly wasn't sure what to think when they gave Vegas a backstory), but I like how fast Drives arsenal is growing. It reminds me of Kuuga in a weird way.

As for the action, I hate to say it, but Artisan was right. The fight between Drive and Chaser was lackluster (though I thinkt it was more a problem with the camerawork than the music) and Takaiwa's suit acting leaves a little to be desired - like he's not sure whether to be a badass or a goofball. However, I think the final fight made up for it, though I may be biased and grasping at straws.

Last thing I want to mention is the villains. Chaser's quick speech about killing Roidmudes was cool, and Heart and Brain continue to be interesting, and certainly more involved in the main plot than W's villains.

Anyway, good episode, and I'm glad there wasn't too much annoying humor.

Just gotta say.... It hasn't even been 24 hours yet.... That's crazy fast subbing.

Otaku University Student
Just gotta say.... It hasn't even been 24 hours yet.... That's crazy fast subbing.

Well, if you're into anime, 24 hours is an eternity. (^.^;) Many groups get it out within hours (with or without CR's help).

Regardless, I'm still not sold on the series as of yet (yes, I'm still giving it a chance). At this point, it's just too formulaic. Before I incur the (justified?) wrath of other fans, I'm not going to compare it to other series. However, I have yet to see something grabs me.

Though, I have to say that I'm not a fan of intelligent devices in general nor the car theme, so it has a lot to overcome if it's to appeal to me.

Last edited: