Decade wasn't a complete failure. The writing is awful and unlike Gokaiger, they couldn't get any decent actor back besides whoever did Kenzaki Kazuma and the Den-O Crew (Except Takeru Sato)

Other than that, Decade's plotline, while messy and cluttered - Decade is fine as an entry point for Kamen Rider. If you watch Decade first, it makes you want to see the other Kamen Rider shows and see them (for better or for worse).

Of course Decade was a failure and the reasons are unresolved plot holes,returning actors never returned,and the new plots are added since the tribute for the heisei riders are now empty since it was less back then which are the reasons why kamen rider W is made and was aired in September 6th 2009

While I'll agree that Decade's execution was not it's strongest point. It was far from being a total failure. Since some of the worlds like Hibiki's was handled better than the series itself. As for why W was started in the fall, it was because Decade was intended to be 31 episodes. As well as capitalizing on the Christmas sale.

The more that I re- watch the older heisei series, the more I tend to believe that Decade wasn't actually a series, more of a gimmick to advertise aforementioned older series.

Of course Decade was a failure and the reasons are unresolved plot holes,returning actors never returned,and the new plots are added since the tribute for the heisei riders are now empty since it was less back then which are the reasons why kamen rider W is made and was aired in September 6th 2009
The shorter length you referred to was pre-planned from the beginning. IIRC they originally planned for it to be 30 episodes long, so Decade actually got an extended run!
Double's suits were designed at the exact same time as Decade's, because they wouldn't get the same amount of pre-production time otherwise. Kamen Rider and Sentai shows up to then had started and finished at around about the exact same time (February). Both franchises also had significant mid-season ratings slumps. So they decided to cut one show short so that there would be an offset. That way you they could concentrate on promoting one new show at a time, and they were probably also hoping that people tuning in for the beginning of the latest show might also bump up the other franchise's ratings in the process.

Personally I think that "failure" and "not very good" are not always the same thing. Decade did have a small ratings rise over Kiva, and it's toyline was an incredible success for the time (also unintentionally starting the massive pressure that subsequent Rider and Sentai series have faced to have equally successful toylines). The Kamen Rider and Super Hero Wars films, and indeed the idea of Rider shows having more than one film adaptation, also started here. So financially both Toei and Bandai seem to regard it as a very successful show.
Decade is fine as an entry point for Kamen Rider. If you watch Decade first, it makes you want to see the other Kamen Rider shows and see them (for better or for worse).
Decade was the very first subtitled Japanese show I watched, and it was great as a "shop window" to show me all these cool heroes with imaginative designs and fun gimmicks. I dove furiously through the other Heisei Rider shows after seeing it! I hadn't seen the previous shows, so I had no idea what they'd changed, and finding out that the other shows were so different was a lot of fun. And the plot doesn't really start to unwravel until after his journey through the initial nine worlds is over. Before that it was very good at subtly advancing the main characters every episode (IIRC they changed producer halfway through production or something, so maybe that's why it all suddenly changed?). It did start a lot of things I don't like about the franchise now (mainly the bloody endless crossovers) but I can't help but look back on it with some affection, if only for introducing me to this mad world of tokusatsu.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! SUBARASHI!!!!
Decade is more like a fanservice seeing the old Riders having proper fights etc. It was actually my first Rider show that I watched at the same time of airing (I watched Ryuki + Blade and started Kabuto then). Watching Decade did make me watch the other Heisei series though.

Somebody
I liked the series because of the suit and the driver's amazing voice, but the series overall plot was confusing and bad. Otoya was a nice bonus though. :)