Ryuki struck me as a darker series with yeah... mirror monsters wasting people and Riders that killed other Riders.

Seeing that one guy get trapped behind the mirror to get taken down, and he was kinda good more or less, struck me as darker. Along with the perpetually grim Ren.

With the happy go-lucky Shoichi, bumbling Hikiwa and his spunky police back up, along with Mana-cha and her family.... while there are serious moments, the series strikes me as more upbeat... most fights taking place in broad daylight.

I got more of a B-Horror movie feel off Ryuki while I get more of... a cop drama from Agito.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like when I see dark. I think of someone tied you to a chair and put a gun to your face if you don't look at one of your family member getting killed...slowly. Like that. Is there an Kamen Rider series like that? I like Kamen Rider Kabuto but it is nowhere near dark. :sweat:

Super Moderator
Like when I see dark. I think of someone tied you to a chair and put a gun to your face if you don't look at one of your family member getting killed...slowly. Like that. Is there an Kamen Rider series like that? I like Kamen Rider Kabuto but it is nowhere near dark. :sweat:

If what you are looking for is a series where the threat the monsters present to innocent people and having that threat looming over them effects their lives (though maybe not exactly in the fashion you describe) then I would point you to Kuuga or Agito. Or you might like one of the movies like ZO where there's kind of a almost horror movie feel.

But if you're just looking for cheap displays of gore and sadistic shite then you're prolly better off renting Hostel or something like that instead of watching Kamen Rider. IMO.

No not like that. I mean like "The Ring" kind of style. Something that is disturbing and that will want you to keep watching it for the suspence. :anime:

No not like that. I mean like "The Ring" kind of style. Something that is disturbing and that will want you to keep watching it for the suspence. :anime:

"The Ring"? Disturbing? Aww hell no. I laughed my ass off the whole way through.

Ryuki struck me as a darker series with yeah... mirror monsters wasting people and Riders that killed other Riders.

Please, after a few episodes it became a fight between mostly bad characters. While I do sort of like Ryuki, you cannot deny that some of the characters are god awful. Take for example Imperer/Impaler. I had high hopes, since I thought the suit looked pretty cool. But Sano turned out to be such an annoyance. And Jun as Gai....he was such a stupid, annoying little prick. The only character I really liked was Tezuka, and he died early.

None of the Ryuki Riders really gave me the feel that they were about to kick some serious ass. Not even Ryuki and Knight in Survive Mode. But, when I see Black clench his fists, I know someone is about to get their ass kicked. From the first scene in the series, I knew the show was gonna be dark, and I've been proved right in that sense.

Can't really comment too much on Kuuga and Agito, but from what I've seen, they both seem to be dark as well.

Seeing that one guy get trapped behind the mirror to get taken down, and he was kinda good more or less, struck me as darker. Along with the perpetually grim Ren.

Ryuki had like one or two dark moments. Aside from that bit where [HIDE]Shinji died[/HIDE], when Imperer died, and when Scissor died. That's it. People dying in KR series is pretty standard, but Agito and Kuuga took it to whole new levels. Agito with whole families being killed, and Kuuga with people being afraid to walk the streets because of the monsters, and then that one episode with that pregnant lady being scared of having a child because of what kind of world it would be raised in. Yeah. That beats out Ryuki, where most of the world just thought the dead people were disappearances.

Nevermind the scale of things. The mirror monsters were just a result of Kanzaki refusing to do something normal humans do every day.

boogie woogie feng shui
One of the many reasons I enjoyed Black so much was because it was very much a pseudo-horror movie as much as it was an action or hero show. Definitely one of the darkest Kamen Rider shows, along with Kuuga. Agito I wouldn't really call "dark" at all, monsters kill people in every Kamen Rider series but I don't think that makes them all automatically blackhearted. Blade is really a darker series than Agito was.

Mr. Kamen Rider
I think it also depends on what you consider "dark". Like Bolt said, every Rider show has its share of death, destruction and general mayhem. To me, darkness is measured more in how bleak/downbeat the story itself is. Black has a pretty dour mood throughout. Yeah, even though there's a ton of episodes that are him helping some kid out or something, and it's all smiles by the end of the episode, there's still an overhanging sense of grimness to the whole thing, because you know there will be that eventually confrontation with his best friend, who's practically his brother. Also,

[HIDE]the ending is genuinely downbeat, he's all alone at the end and left with only memories of his friends. I think the only ones that outdo it in being downbeat are Blade's TV ending and New Kamen Rider's ending. Maaaaaybe V3's. But that's what I would say, I'm sure everyone would have their own picks.[/HIDE]

I think it's harder to pin down a lot of the shows when some of the characters are all over the place, i.e, characters who had serious moments one week are doing the comedy relief the next. Some shows are a little more direct, like Black, which doesn't have too many laughs (although I find the episodes with Mog-Rog, Taki and the Young Warriors highly amusing myself) but I think that's part of why I've enjoyed Kamen Rider so consistantly, because it's so unpredictable, both in series themselves and the entire thing as a whole.