One of the many reasons I enjoyed Black so much was because it was very much a pseudo-horror movie as much as it was an action or hero show. Definitely one of the darkest Kamen Rider shows, along with Kuuga. Agito I wouldn't really call "dark" at all, monsters kill people in every Kamen Rider series but I don't think that makes them all automatically blackhearted. Blade is really a darker series than Agito was.

I liked a lot because for a Kamen Rider show it had it's "What the hell..?" moments. Being strapped down to a table when this mad scientist brings in a lovecraftian looking insect kaijin to inject you -that's just wack. Sucked to be him. I also like it a lot because when he lost -he LOST I mean he got his ass beat! I also like the fact that he never had to get an upgrade, his enemy was his brother -his bike was the most badass bike ever -I mean

[HIDE]it was a VERY sad scene when battle-hopper died. Now THAT was just sad man. I think it even cried! Absurd but man it worked! If only all other death scenes in other KR series were as good[/HIDE]

In the end I think every KR series should be trying to be as good as black. It's the only series I've noticed that old school fans and newer era fans can agree on, it's the only common ground for Riders.

boogie woogie feng shui
I think why Black worked so well was because, instead of trying to glamourize the experience of being a Kamen Rider, it portrayed it as how bleak and unforgiving that type of situation would be. Just the idea behind the way these heroes (used to) come to power is horrific and tragic.