Kamen Rider 2015-2016 New/Rumours Thread : Kamen Rider Ghost

Lurker
I honestly don't think we should expect any form of good writing for the remainder of the series. This whole series has got 'poor and sloppy writing' labelled all over it...

The Ghost X Drive movie seemed to be a herald of doom for the show.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
The writer, if I recall, hadn't written any tokusatsu before. I seem to remember reading he'd marathon-watched Drive before writing the movie. Obviously he could not watch Ghost which hadn't yet begun airing, so I can almost forgive inconsistency with the characters, the timelines, errors that contradict the TV series. All of that is understandable - although I do blame whoever thought it would be a good idea to use a writer unfamiliar with the source material.

What is unforgivable is a premise that completely undermines Ghost and Takeru's character; a story that tries to give the moral "You can't change the past or bring back the dead. You have to move on." This tells the audience that Takeru cannot/will not achieve his goal (trying to come back to life via the Eyecons) or that he is wrong to try to do so. Well then, why should anyone watching the movie believe in him or be invested in him?

Yeah, the segments in the Movie Wars featuring the new Riders always run the risk of being less than good, especially if they're not written by one of the show's writers. I haven't seen Super Movie War Genesis, so I should probably brace myself for some Nobunaga's Ambition level of misunderstanding what the show and characters are actually about.

Still, I wouldn't use it as a parameter for the show's quality. Sengoku Movie Battle was crap all around, but Kamen Rider Gaim was pretty great. No, Kamen Rider Ghost has been suffering because it's become apparently clear that Takuro Fukuda did NOT have a clear plan when the staff broke the series up into story arcs.

The first arc was entertaining albeit rushed, the second arc was really good but was hardly about Takeru's quest at all, and the third arc has just been dragging its feet with these undying Ganmeisers, a story that's been repeating itself, and the KMS's far too drawn out plot. I still wouldn't call Ghost a bad series (it's certainly more watchable at its worst than Drive was at all in its first 13 episodes or so), but it probably would have been better off as a shorter series.

EDIT: Open your eyes for my post #555.

Lurker
I enjoyed Ghost way more in the beginning than I do now. The series feels ruined now that the show isn't even about ghosts.

@lazycoconut

The movie also served as a massive retcon for the entire series (which pretty much had no effect for the show).

Now, count up your crimes!
Well with Adel in the possibility of the death upon redemption path... Who's gonna be the final boss at this point? "Demia?"