Kamen Rider 2015-2016 New/Rumours Thread : Kamen Rider Ghost

Agreed. I'm fine with toy promos as long as there's a point to them, which some shows do better than others (say what you want about Kobayashi, she integrates toys well, while it's total pot luck whether Sanjo even tries).

*raises hand* Unabashed Kobayashi fangirl in the house, lol. Though, I moreso prefer her on Rider than Sentai. Kinda hoping she comes back this year for Ghost, personally. Her most recent Rider is my favorite, because I loved the way she handled Eiji and Ankh being so close yet being absolute perfect foils for each other, as well as her characterization of Ankh in general. With perhaps 2 riders to start out with {or at least one debuting earlier than usual} that could get interesting.

The thing that really struck me about the premise was the whole "travelling the world" and "following in the footsteps of famous people" thing. It sounds very... Indiana Jones. Or maybe Gokaiger. I'm also slightly worried that they make this into some crappy educational show (yes, I know, the chances couldn't be slimmer, but you have to admit, the potential is there).

"This week's Kamen Rider is brought to you by the country..."
And now I'm having a hard time trying not to imagine Kamen Rider Big Bird. >.>

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I would love for Toei to finally put Kobayashi out to pasture. It's been MORE than long enough ... but I said I'd take anyone over Aikawa for Ghost, and I'm sticking to it.

The "travel the world" thing doesn't seem like it will continue for that long. I imagine it would be difficult budget-wise, and Takeru has only 99 days to collect the set and make his wish, which in story time will take us up to some time in January. After that there will have to be another plot development ...

Well, if Takaaki Utsunomiya is producing like the toys are suggesting, then Yasuko Kobayashi would probably be the likeliest candidate as writer. Still, it could be Naruhisa Arakawa or Tsuyoshi Kida (the latter's probably less likely since Kamen Rider Wizard was not a smooth trip from what I've heard). And with the very Shonen Jump-esque storyline I wouldn't be surprised if Junki Takegami makes a comeback, what with his plentiful experience writing for Shonen Jump anime.

Hey there ya all, new guy passing through here.

I for one really like that Kamen Rider has been the only toku franchise that has been continuously coming out refreshing, freakish and weird concept every year, so I am really looking forward to how Ghost will turn out.

Now i see why Joe Odagiri didn't like the current conditions of tokusatsu that he never reprised his role as kuuga again for future crossover films.

I understand the process of casting because it helps upcoming actors experience the process of acting but shouldn't we spice things up a bit i mean instead of this type of 'casting' they should try the old fashion way just like how they audition the main actor for kamen rider black did how about they should audition people who were young but were extras for a show or a nobody who played as minor characters in any plays or J-Dramas who are also good in acting to be the role of superheroes like sentai or rider heck Kensuke Takahashi who once performed in the Hamatora stage play take on the role as Ultraman X's human host and its not by a talent agency or some fashion magazine voting contest thing.

Oh one last thing did i ever tell you that unlike rider and sentai which focus on toy merchandising ultraman franchise (despite focusing on items which are toy related) focus more on the story.
Joe Odagiri dislike working in tokusatsu simply because to him it's very exhausting with all the action scene and really tight filming schedule, and he's actually quie a laid back kind of guy.

The whole casting process is still pretty much the same, not much different between now and the good ol' era of Kamen Rider Black -- it is an open audition with hundred of candidates, most of them referred by their talent agency which have the connection and the resource to help them find work, but in the end it's up to the candidates to pass through various stage of selection under the scrutiny of a casting committee. Heck, even Kensuke Takahashi the actor playing the host of Ultraman X belongs to a certain talent agency called SenseUp Pro.

Anyway, Tsuburaya Pro has actually been more focused on merchandise lately and will probably be focusing more on merchandising for the coming future ever since the production studio became an official subsidiary of Bandai (and Fields Corporation). -- Bandai's scheme of launching the ultra spark dolls and other toyline such as the ultra egg has actually helped in combating Tsuburaya Pro's long time financial problem (they were a liability, heavily in debts and hardly managed to pay the bills), but they have overcame that obstacle last year by clearing their debts and back to profit -- Producing a Heisei quality show like Ultraman X and not to mention creating a world level fully CG Ultraman\Kaiju effect is a healthy sign that they are earning enough profit to keep running or enough to convince Bandai to invest more money.

"3, 2, 1, time out."
Considering that the show's main character (the main Rider) is going to be technically dead, I wonder how dark Toei would be willing to go with this. I understand that Kamen Rider is a children's show (10 - 15 age range) so we probably can't expect to much. However, I'm hoping that the show does confront death and the emotions surrounding it; sorrow over one's own mortality, anger at not being alive any more, etc.

Kamen Rider Double Spoiler:

However, it's more likely that this will be Philip (Kamen Rider Double) situation where he comes back to life at the end and it turns into a happy-go-lucky search for all of the Eyecons.

Joining a magazine/agency contest is a way for them to gain a way into the industry, to win a contract with an agency which will help train, support and manage them.
also...Toei does hold "old fashioned auditions". Many of the actors have talked about their own rider/sentai audition in interviews and what not.

Yes don't you think getting someone who joined a magazine/agency contest as to gain a way into the industry to win a contract with an agency which will help train, support and manage them. is kind of well is ridiculous shouldn't' they used the "old fashioned auditions" to the people who are going to play as the main riders.

He was cast as Cardinal Richelieu in the BBC series The Musketeers. The Musketeers writers had to kill Richelieu off-screen because Capaldi got cast as the Doctor. So technically, they did do that....just not by way of a traditional audition.

IIRC Steven Moffat asked Capaldi round to his house, where Capadi did a test read for Moffat and the series producers. Basically he had to read out a sample piece of script and so long as he didn't completely mess it up the job was his. They never saw anybody else for the part.

Oh i get it it's by casting choice which means when a production crew selects an actor known for his good roles they ask him if he would accept the role and he said yes and if its approved by his acting on the proposed role the production crew ask him to portray then he gains the role guess it makes sense

And where is this higher budget going to come from? It's not like they can just magically create money. I'm not arguing that a higher budget wouldn't make it better, there's no doubt about that. But here in the real world, money just does not appear based on a whim. Rider and Sentai would have to be doing fantastic in the merchandising area for even half of your ideas to be plausible, and currently...they're just not, according to what I gather.

And japan claims they are one of the richest countries in the world:redface2: If toei has lots and lots of money they should have given high amount of money to the rider and sentai production so that the shows will look better in medium budget not "low budget"

As numerous people have tried to explain to you, this is EXACTLY what they do! Yes, at times they get fresh little acting babies who have no experience, and they prefer them. These are the kinds of things that can launch careers in Japan - look at Odagiri Joe, Seto Kouji, and Matsuzaka Tori. I'd heard of Odagiri and Seto long before I had any interest in toku. But back on topic...this is exactly how they do things, pretty much. The casts of the Prince of Tennis musicals are as much a gold mine as the Junon Super Boy contest for Rider and Sentai actors. And regardless, the actors are going to be represented by a talent agency...it's what gets them in the door to the auditions in the first place. Even if they won "some fashion magazine voting contest thing", if they're acting, they're with an agency. I'm not a fan of the trend of Riders and Sentai members getting younger and younger every year, but I see why they do it. Older characters don't relate well to the target audience, where the majority of the series' income comes from.

He went from being completely unknown to being a well-known actor. It's the foundation of his career, and every actor auditioning for Rider nowadays does so hoping that they can repeat what he achieved. Not so bad really.
The actor who played Minami Kotaro has described his audition process and it sounds pretty much the same as today. He's said in interviews that when he tried out he had no acting experience at all and admits that the producers at the time cast him simply because he looked the most like the kind of character they had in mind. They even had to send him off for acting and singing lessons before they could start filming the series (the singing lessons were because he had to record the opening theme).

Maybe they should have used talented actors who did plays especially in a similar young age the previous rider or sentai actors had to play as the main heroes besides before patrick stewart gained the role as jean-luc picard he was a shakespearean actor and before kevin spacey was the movie star and played as the anti-villain Francis Underwood from house of cards he was a stage actor. So maybe having young actor who have experience in acting in stage plays,commercials or maybe as a extras should play the role as heroes in rider and sentai shows it was like back in the 70s when the kamen rider franchise was at its prime.

Good. Go watch Ultraman then, and quit complaining about Sentai and Rider! Problem solved.

{Also, hi everyone! I've been following this thread and other HJU rumor threads for a while but never had anything I wanted to say until now. >.>}

Um yeah kind of it's just kamen rider and sentai behave anime like while ultraman well it behaved as an actual science fiction show like doctor who does.

The Double Riders' team ups only happen in 10 out of the 98 episodes of the original series. Riderman comes near the end of the V3 series and then dies to leave V3 alone for the finale. X's team ups with other Riders also take a small part of the series and he is left alone for the finale too (though V3 and Rider 2 have importance to the plot and they have a certain presence in the last episode).
Skyrider, even with how important the team-ups were to the show was left alone for a long time, most notably in the early episodes when it was still a reboot and the ghost story series (shoutouts to that now that Kamen Rider Ghost is incoming!).

So, if someone sits down and watches the whole series, they'll spend more time looking at those Riders fighting alone. Of course, it's still not comparable to Amazon, Kuuga, BLACK and Super-1 (if the movie is discarded). Kuuga and Amazon most of all, since Shadow Moon does give that Rider presence IMO.

This is why it would be quite refreshing to see a Rider series do that again. Been a while.

Good point still i wish the production crew should have used a latest rider show as a single rider show just once and have another superpower beings be an ally or villain to kamen rider but to have the name kamen rider.

^ So basically, they ARE the memory gadgets all over again (or whatever you prefer to call them). At least they're animals (which kinda work as spirits or something) not hot wheels cars.

I like the idea that the little helpers have a point this time around.

Lets hope they are useful for this plot.

Agreed. I'm fine with toy promos as long as there's a point to them, which some shows do better than others (say what you want about Kobayashi, she integrates toys well, while it's total pot luck whether Sanjo even tries).

The thing that really struck me about the premise was the whole "travelling the world" and "following in the footsteps of famous people" thing. It sounds very... Indiana Jones. Or maybe Gokaiger. I'm also slightly worried that they make this into some crappy educational show (yes, I know, the chances couldn't be slimmer, but you have to admit, the potential is there).

Maybe they should have used this concept for a indiana jones rider but how will they use this type of plot of around the world thing with this type of budget .

I would love for Toei to finally put Kobayashi out to pasture. It's been MORE than long enough ... but I said I'd take anyone over Aikawa for Ghost, and I'm sticking to it.

The "travel the world" thing doesn't seem like it will continue for that long. I imagine it would be difficult budget-wise, and Takeru has only 99 days to collect the set and make his wish, which in story time will take us up to some time in January. After that there will have to be another plot development ...

It sounds like a kamen rider version of 24 the government conspiracy thriller series set in real time by the way to make the show better have a single rider show, stick to the plot ,give more time to make good plot to the series and further more instead of low budget try medium budget ,medium budgets are good you know.

Hey there ya all, new guy passing through here.

I for one really like that Kamen Rider has been the only toku franchise that has been continuously coming out refreshing, freakish and weird concept every year, so I am really looking forward to how Ghost will turn out.

Joe Odagiri dislike working in tokusatsu simply because to him it's very exhausting with all the action scene and really tight filming schedule, and he's actually quie a laid back kind of guy.

The whole casting process is still pretty much the same, not much different between now and the good ol' era of Kamen Rider Black -- it is an open audition with hundred of candidates, most of them referred by their talent agency which have the connection and the resource to help them find work, but in the end it's up to the candidates to pass through various stage of selection under the scrutiny of a casting committee. Heck, even Kensuke Takahashi the actor playing the host of Ultraman X belongs to a certain talent agency called SenseUp Pro.

Anyway, Tsuburaya Pro has actually been more focused on merchandise lately and will probably be focusing more on merchandising for the coming future ever since the production studio became an official subsidiary of Bandai (and Fields Corporation). -- Bandai's scheme of launching the ultra spark dolls and other toyline such as the ultra egg has actually helped in combating Tsuburaya Pro's long time financial problem (they were a liability, heavily in debts and hardly managed to pay the bills), but they have overcame that obstacle last year by clearing their debts and back to profit -- Producing a Heisei quality show like Ultraman X and not to mention creating a world level fully CG Ultraman\Kaiju effect is a healthy sign that they are earning enough profit to keep running or enough to convince Bandai to invest more money.

That kinda makes sense and that kinds feels sad but at least what you said about the ultraman production series tsubaraya earned a happy ending because now that it overcame that 'obstacle' last year by going back to profit its about to produce a heisei quality shows like ultraman X and making a project with a cgi realistic ultraman wish the kamen rider and sentai series would do the same thing.

Considering that the show's main character (the main Rider) is going to be technically dead, I wonder how dark Toei would be willing to go with this. I understand that Kamen Rider is a children's show (10 - 15 age range) so we probably can't expect to much. However, I'm hoping that the show does confront death and the emotions surrounding it; sorrow over one's own mortality, anger at not being alive any more, etc.

Kamen Rider Double Spoiler:

However, it's more likely that this will be Philip (Kamen Rider Double) situation where he comes back to life at the end and it turns into a happy-go-lucky search for all of the Eyecons.

Yeah that might happen or not just like the plot speculations i wrote earlier :

In 2016 the hero will realise that he would turn into a ghost monster like the villains and he won't control it fortunately with the help of the secondary rider like "kamen rider spectre" and his allies the hero gains control defeat the villain and finds a final icon then he makes a wish which is kind of a heroic good deed that it helps to defeat the villains and after that with 99 days are up and has fulfilled his wish the hero departs to the afterlife and his friends miss him and it ends few days or months with the characters moving on to their lives but they aren't aware that the hero KR ghost is always with them as a spirit or guardian angel and he can transform into ghost including his final form whenever he likes as he will always fight the remaining monsters who escaped from his wish and will always protect everyone he will also help the next rider in the crossover series.

But for a earn your happy ending thing after the hero defeats the villains with the wish he dies but his father's ghost (who might be once turned into a monster enemy but redeemed himself that it led him to death but regains his humanity ) revives him again but reminds him to keep the icon and transform into a rider because there might be some remaining monsters left who escaped from his wish and after his father says his final advice to his son he went to afterlife and the hero with tears of joy thanks him and it ends few months later with the characters move on to their lives while the hero now a fulfilled ghost hunter fights the remaining monsters while still using his KR ghost form to fight them he will also help the next rider in the crossover film.

And japan claims they are one of the richest countries in the world If toei has lots and lots of money they should have given high amount of money to the rider and sentai production so that the shows will look better in medium budget not "low budget"

What? Japan has been in and out of a recession for several years now. And Toei doesn't have "lots and lots of money". They have money, but they can't just not try to budget everything. They're a company, their bottom line matters. Besides, Kamen Rider and Super Sentai are actually two of the most expensive shows they produce.

Maybe they should have used talented actors who did plays especially in a similar young age the previous rider or sentai actors had to play as the main heroes besides before patrick stewart gained the role as jean-luc picard he was a shakespearean actor and before kevin spacey was the movie star and played as the anti-villain Francis Underwood from house of cards he was a stage actor. So maybe having young actor who have experience in acting in stage plays,commercials or maybe as a extras should play the role as heroes in rider and sentai shows it was like back in the 70s when the kamen rider franchise was at its prime.

Except that's exactly what they do. You don't seem to understand the concept of talent agencies. Like, at all. These actors get hired by talent agencies which then assign them plenty of work in stage plays or commercials or as small parts in TV shows and movies before they graduate to leading roles. KR and SS are great jumping-off points for a career. They're trials by fire due to the intense shooting schedule, you gain tons of fans over a year, and often the actors grow a huge passion for their roles. Sometimes they don't, but hey, that happens. Different strokes for different folks.

Yes don't you think getting someone who joined a magazine/agency contest as to gain a way into the industry to win a contract with an agency which will help train, support and manage them. is kind of well is ridiculous shouldn't' they used the "old fashioned auditions" to the people who are going to play as the main riders.

Yeah well, they're in the industry and you're not sooooo.....

Henshin a Go-Go!!
WALL OF TEXT!

qY4Prfc.gif

You're grasp on reality is so loose it hurts.

MV Maker
Can we all just agree to stop replying to Kam?

Also, new Ghost poster with a peek at the forms (albiet a tiny one, for now):
CKWupYWUsAAnuoC.jpg:large

Looks like he's got Wizard's form layout (which I admit makes me worried).

EDIT: Upscaled & clearer version
[HIDE]
11540951_886140978107196_3710223296423955862_n.jpg
[/HIDE]

Last edited:
"Training."
The hoodie...is actually a hoodie and not a solid piece shaped like a hoodie (see White Wizard)?

I love it.